Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > 12.9-inch iPad allegedly in production for early 2014 launch

12.9-inch iPad allegedly in production for early 2014 launch
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 19, 2013, 11:03 AM

A "first-tier display supplier" is working on 12.9-inch Retina displays for an iPad due to launch in early 2014, claims the Korea Times. The publication cites an official at one of Apple's Korean suppliers. Based on Apple's known partners in the region, that implies either LG Display or Samsung, either of whom would be large enough to support an iPad launch.

The supplier source mentions little else except that the new iPad model will have improved picture quality comparable to "ultra high-definition" displays. That could imply something equivalent to 4K resolution, higher even than the resolution on the iPad Air or mini.

A number of rumors have hinted at production of a bigger iPad. Earlier in November, one suggested that Foxconn was testing production of a larger iPad for spring 2014. Back in July, the Wall Street Journal noted that Apple had been experimenting with both a 13-inch iPad and an iPhone with a larger display.

Given the renaming of the 9.7-inch iPad as the iPad Air, Apple may be preparing to christen a 13-inch "iPad Pro," mirroring its Mac lineup. What other features a Pro tablet might have are uncertain, but Apple would presumably want to make it more practical for work purposes, for instance by adding a USB port or more RAM.

RockoBoffo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2013, 11:18 AM

Interesting gamble on Apple's part ,if true.

So they are moving up into notebook sized screens, and if it comes bundled with a keyboard case - then they are confusing the low end notebook market with the high end tablet market - which is classic Apple to do something they just criticized everyone else for doing.

azrich
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2013, 01:25 PM

There would have to be a target audience, or 'killer app' for this to happen. You know, it's gotta be insanely great or they won't do it.

From the rumor sites boards we've all speculated (like how I took credit for some of this?) that the weight would have to be at or darn near the original iPad's, the screen a rez @ 2k, similar battery life to current models. I could see it replacing legal docs for all kinds of people, but some industries are still beholden to paper.

My work iPad stays in a stand pretty much the whole time, and my eyes wouldn't mind a bigger display. Still, that's not a killer app or anything near that impressive.

Maybe it's a rumor started to get other companies to put one out first? I'm thinking iWatch style rumor

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2013, 01:34 PM

With the increasing of cloud storage utilization, faster tablet CPU down the road, plus users are leaning more toward iPad to get job done than laptop, I say why not. Despite of what Apple think of MS Surface, I think in the future the fine line between tablets and laptop will fade away. Apple has the upper hand to make yet another history with their current massive user base comparing to MS which couldn't do it even if MS have some good ideas in their products. In the past, people predicted iPad would be "just" a 2x size iPhone/iPod. Now it's a laptop replacement in many areas.

cashxx
Nov 19, 2013, 02:03 PM

@RockoBoffo Every company does this.....look at Google who said they don't think phones should be a personal assistant talking about Siri and turn around and Google Now is everywhere. Microsoft has done this many of times as well, so they all do it to make the competition think they are working on that subject and then surprise with the product down the road.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Nov 19, 2013, 05:14 PM

Spokesperson: "We're not EVER going to do that... This, just in! We're doing that."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2013, 05:22 PM

I think all you people need to stop and reconsider WHAT it is that sucks about the Surface, and what it is that Apple said they wouldn't be doing:

There is absolutely no question that the iPad will supplant a large part of the laptop market as its capabilities and power increase.
It will NOT do so by munging together the two disparate interfaces into a portmanteau that combines the drawbacks of both.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2013, 07:22 PM

It should be noted that ALL of the reports of these larger iPad models come from very dodgy sources (DigiTimes, Korea Times, etc) and have maybe a 50 percent chance of being true, at best.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules