Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Word 2001 menus disappear

Word 2001 menus disappear
mmcroberts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2001, 04:56 PM

Recently my copy of Word developed a strange problem (before SR1, though SR1 did NOT cure the problem).

Except for the Font menu, all of Word 2001's menus are empty. I click on the name of the menu and nothing appears. Even the Apple menu is affected--the first item is "About" and is greyed out.

Anyone else have this problem? Another user on the same computer (under Multiple Users) has their Word menus working just fine. The only way I can get to the menu features is by creating a new toolbar and placing the system menus on it...

Any help would be appreciated.

Apr 4, 2001, 10:38 AM

Try deleting the "Word preferences" in your system folder and restart (System folder->Preferences->Microsoft). This is the general prefs file I guess, I have no idea where Word may stock different preferences files for multiple users.

matttichenor
Apr 4, 2001, 07:35 PM

Trash all files called Word Settings, then restart the program.. worked for me.

m

mmcroberts  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2001, 11:11 PM

Thanks folks... Trashing the Word settings in the Preferences:Microsoft folder did it. Of course, I had to turn off the blankety-blank click-to-type...

Forum Links
Forum Rules