Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Peripheral Support

Peripheral Support
tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 24, 2000, 02:33 PM

One thing I have not seen addressed anywhere is whether, and how, Mac OS X will support current peripherals, such as ink-jet printers, scanners, Palm OS devices, etc. So far I have not heard of one manufacturer announcing a Mac OS X driver for any device, but without drivers, a new OS renders the computer utterly USELESS. Does anyone know what the deal is?

tooki

poil11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2000, 03:20 PM

so far on my computer, the targa 2000 and adaptecs scsi card do not work. and in fact when installed, osx will not load at all. and at this moment does not support the hp 950c. but this is only the dp. i assume that apple will try and support as much as they can when the final comes out.
poil
www.poil.net

representa
Feb 24, 2000, 08:18 PM

i think IOkit (the DDK for OSX) will be out soon. that means companies can begin making drivers for it. the one problem is with old devices where the company has gone out of business or doesn't support the product. and even in classic with the drivers in the extensions folder it won't work, because of the new architecture

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Feb 24, 2000, 08:23 PM

Hmm, it looks to me that when Mac OS X comes out, there will be very few supported 3rd party devices... this could be a MAJOR problem...

well keep the answers coming, this could get interesting...

tooki

Danoir
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2000, 08:41 PM

I doubt it will be a MAJOR problem. Apple has chosen to take the industry kicking and screaming into the new age of computing. This has been the case with just about every new Apple inovation. I for one am glad. Most people will be running Classic apps (and their respective drivers) long enough for companies to come out with new drivers so that when consumers make the switch (to Carbon and/or Cocoa) the drivers needed will be there. My $.02

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2000, 04:15 AM

Hi,

I read an interview with someone at Apple who said that Apple will be working VERY hard on this problem and with 3rd parties. Whos know maybe HP will have OS 9 drivers by the time OS X ships

Scott H.

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Feb 25, 2000, 04:20 PM

See, I assume PostScript printers will be supported (since NeXT did), but what about, say, an HP or Epson ink jet?

At least one thing is working for us: there was actually decent expansion card support for NeXTStep/Openstep on Intel, so it wouldn;t surprise me if everything supported in NS/OS works on OS X as well.

tooki

P.S. Tonight I will be setting up a 6100/60 with MkLinux as an intranet web server! :-) I've never done Linux, this should be fun!

Forum Links
Forum Rules