Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Safe to put a Sleeping PowerBook in a Carrying Case?

Safe to put a Sleeping PowerBook in a Carrying Case?
iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2000, 01:57 PM

Hello

Is it safe to put my Pismo to sleep instead of shutting it down in my carrying case? I have a Spire Vurt bag. Will it heat up, etc? Thanks.

------------------
Best Regards,
Scott Intarapanont

Dakkon
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2000, 02:01 PM

I carry my wallstreet around in sleep mode all the time. In my backpack, I haven't had any problems, and I think that the wallstreet runs hotter than the pismo. So I�d think that you would be just fine.

Misha
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2000, 02:17 PM

Yes, it's safe. Period.

hotani
Senior User
Dec 18, 2000, 07:23 PM

safe but a pain in the arse if you have OS X and the battery only lasts about a day in sleep mode!!

------------------
PowerBook G3 266/128
Darwin 1.2/OS X PB/OS 8.6
download free hotani web template
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Dec 18, 2000, 10:29 PM

Well just to give clarification... when the powerbook is in Sleep, its as good as off... except the RAM is still powered and maintains its contents. So its totally safe to bag it when its asleep.

s i n e
-''-..-
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 19, 2000, 04:18 AM

The only thing ot watch out for is to make sure your battery is completely tight. I have had a battery be loose enough to jiggle the connector free (but not loose enough to fall out) and reset the computer. So just push in the battery firmly before putting it in the bag, just to be sure.

tooki

zappy
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2000, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by hotani:
safe but a pain in the arse if you have OS X and the battery only lasts about a day in sleep mode!!
What is the reason? I can not believe that it is the fault of OS X. Sleep mode just gives some power to RAM to preserve its content, doesn't it?

Regards

SillyPooh
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2000, 11:04 AM

No problem whatsoever. Dive in the archives.

denim
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2000, 01:01 PM

Sleep mode and a carrying case is the way to travel. It makes it much easier if "Security" stops you at a check point to make sure it's really a computer, for instance.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

hotani
Senior User
Dec 19, 2000, 01:28 PM

zappy: I don't know what it is. But if I am booted in 8.6 I can go for what seems to be an unlimited time in sleep mode and only loose a little battery juice.

When in OS X, one day and the sleep LED stops dead!!! something about the power management of X, I am assuming this will be fixed by final release....

------------------
PowerBook G3 266/128
Darwin 1.2/OS X PB/OS 8.6
download free hotani web template
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2000, 06:47 PM

I've lugged Wallstreets and Pismos all over while asleep in all kinds of carrying cases for years... the only way to live on the fly
But... be sure it's REALLY asleep. When I've had problematic extensions (eg, outdated Norton), I've closed cover without checking to be sure it's asleep... only to be startled by the roar of the fan 30 minutes later when it was getting awfully warm in my backpack
[but I'm grateful for that previously hidden fan]
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2000, 01:28 AM

The sleep mode in OSX isn't really a "sleep mode" (as compared to previous PBs.) That's why it takes so little time to wake up. When my Lombard was in sleep with my mouse plugged in (OSX) the red light was still on. (Problem detected?)
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

torifile
Dec 26, 2000, 02:32 AM

I've had the same experience with the Public Beta. After about a day, the battery will be fully decharged. I noticed something the other day about sleep in the PB: when it is 'asleep' my pismo still generates heat. I'm not sure what that was about, but it seems to indicate that there's more going on then just a charge to the ram. Hopefully that'll be fixed and won't see much change in the kickass wakeup time in the beta.

micha schraven
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2000, 05:44 PM

WAIT A SECOND HERE !!!!!

I have BAD experiences putting an asleep powerbook in a sealed carryingcase.

Sometimes when I opened my kipling HACKER-bag I was welcomed by a flow of hot air that could match the Sahara desert ! The lighted applelogo on the powerbook showed that this machine had put itself on active service while being in my bag.

I don't know what caused it, maybe the 'clever" MACOS 9 indexing procedure that kicked in or something else like an external port that got excited.

You better watch it when carrying an itchy computer in a bumping environment.
"the only real centre of the universe is yourself"

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2000, 08:23 PM

I quite agree, Micha...
I definitely don't stow it out of sight/hearing/temperature-sensing.
[though I've never had any PB *bumped* out of sleep - only not actually put to sleep.

As for the OSX sleep---
Hopefully the final of X will have *gradations* of sleep, some easier to come out of, etc. You know: dozing, REM, deep delta, etc.
Hey, it could happen.
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 27, 2000, 08:31 PM

You guys make it sound like the PowerBook will actually wake itself up of its own accord. No way!

If you make sure it's asleep -- in other words, the sleep light is blinking -- then you can be sure it will stay asleep. The problems you have been having, Micha, is not the PB not staying asleep, but it not having gone to sleep to begin with.

I do feel compelled to add that I don't quite trust putting the machine to sleep by closing the lid (in my experience, it crashes more often after being put to sleep that way). So I always put it to sleep manually, then shut the lid.

So back to the original question: yes, it is perfectly safe to put the machine in a bag when asleep, but make sure that the battery is snapped in snugly and verify that the machine is asleep (blinking light).

tooki

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Dec 28, 2000, 01:35 AM

Speaking of sleeping when the lid is closed, do the Powerbooks use a reedswitch-magnet combo to sense the closed lid as do the iBooks?

s i n e
-''-..-
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

SillyPooh
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2000, 11:54 AM

Speaking of sleeping when the lid is closed, do the Powerbooks use a reedswitch-magnet combo to sense the closed lid as do the iBooks?
I suppose so, how else? I wish I knew were this little thing is so that I could interfere on it, ie close the laptop and make it think it's still open - to play mp3s. Anyone?

denim
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2000, 03:24 PM

Sine: yes, that's how it's happening. Take a small iron object. Put it on the right side of the LCD, toward the bottom. On my Wallstreet, it'll stay there.

Silly: Very bad idea. These machines radiate heat through their keyboard, so if you close them you risk heat problems.

[This message has been edited by denim (edited 12-28-2000).]
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 28, 2000, 06:38 PM

you can make the powerbook wake up when closed: plug in a USB device, it will wake up. Preferably do this with an external display attached, otherwise you'll have to put it to sleep with the music playing. (e.g. very good planning)

Denim is wrong: it is SAFE to run a Lombard or Pismo with the screen shut, see http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n58334. This has been discussed before -- only the Wallstreets dissipate heat through the keyboard. On later machines, the bottom of the machine is the primary heatsink, and even if they did overheat (if the machine is placed on a blanket, for example), they have fans that turn on if needed.

tooki

TazmanDman
Dec 29, 2000, 01:09 AM

I tote my pismo around all day with dual batteries in sleep mode as a college student going to class... i LOVE sleep mode... no problems here, except one time when it didn't completely go to sleep before I put it in its case... that was ONE HOT MAMA when I finally took it out!

-Taz
- Taz

Sarmyth
Dec 31, 2000, 01:50 AM

Hey tooki, when i tried plugging in a usb mouse into my pismo, yes it did wake up but it only stayed awake for 10 seconds, anyone else have any ideas on how to keep a powerbook awake when the lid is closed?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 31, 2000, 04:00 AM

I think it needs to have a monitor connected to stay awake.

tooki

micha schraven
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2000, 06:01 AM

i think that is true

I have read somewhere on MACNN that adding the PROkeyboard caused trouble on a pismo with an external monitor. What is true about this? I canceled my keyboardorder after reading this.
"the only real centre of the universe is yourself"

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 31, 2000, 04:34 PM

I hadn't heard about that. When my roommate returns in a week, I'll borrow the pro keyboard from his G4 and test it on my Pismo.

tooki

zappy
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2001, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
I hadn't heard about that. When my roommate returns in a week, I'll borrow the pro keyboard from his G4 and test it on my Pismo.
Which key are you going to use to turn your book on? There is no power key on the pro keyboard. Is there a combination of keys which will do the trick?

Regards

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 1, 2001, 11:12 PM

As I understand it from the TIL documents, you can only wake it up from sleep using the pro keyboard (in which case any key should wake it). If it is actually completely off, you have to use a keyboard with a power button.

tooki

zappy
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2001, 06:59 AM

From the TIL:

1. Place your PowerBook in sleep mode.
2. Connect your power adapter and external display.
3. Connect the Apple external USB keyboard and mouse, and then press the Power button on the keyboard to start up the PowerBook.
Sounds like you need a power button to wake it up from sleep.

Regards

Lotte
Jan 3, 2001, 01:09 PM

My baby ... Pismo 500/384/12GB goes to sleep when I close the lid ... or choose sleep from the menu ... with the green LED flashing lazily and all - no light in the white apple.... then I stove it away in my backpack ... hops on my bicycle and rides to class ... open my backpack and ... lunch is a nice hot meal!
More often that not it has gone out of sleep mode along the way ... mind you ... lid is still closed and no gremlins boarded my backpack and connected a usb mouse or anything ...

Pismo works in mysterious ways ... so I don't put my baby to sleep anymore ... I kill'im!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 3, 2001, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by zappy:
From the TIL:

Sounds like you need a power button to wake it up from sleep.

Regards
Well this was interesting: I plugged in my Apple USB keyboard (the little one with a power button) and put it to sleep, and neither any key nor the power button would wake it up... only the built in keyboard woke it up. However, I did this test with the built in screen, not an external display.

tooki

maceng
Jan 4, 2001, 05:29 AM

I usually leave my PB Wallstreet sleeping for days. However, it does not necessarily goes to sleep automatically after closing the lid. I was running MacDim -a screensaver-, closed the lid and stowed my PB in a Kensignton bag. After 45 minutes I felt my bag getting warmer by the minute and realized that it didn�t go to sleep as planned. Quite a scare!

Forum Links
Forum Rules