Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > $99 Diamond Mako

$99 Diamond Mako
CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2001, 03:27 AM

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?sku=D86-5000

Anyone a Psion fan? A couple of years ago I had a Psion Series 5 and loved it! Unfortunatly, I traded it for a WinCE notebook. I've regretted it, and wanted another one ever since, but never bothered to get another one.

Anyway, the Diamond Mako is just a revamped Psion Revo. It's small, lightweight, and an awesome PDA... and TigerDirect has them for only $99. You better believe I got one at that price, and I love it! I'm finally back to the Psion/Epoc32 platform!

The thing is tiny... not much bigger than a Palm, but with a nice little keyboard. I can actually type quite well on it!

I figured out how to connect the Mako to my Macs, just using the same Serial to USB connector I use with my Palm IIIx and Virtual PC 4.0. There I run the Mako-connect software and it works beautifully. Psi-Win also works. There's a Psi-Mac, but it costs money... what a scam.

There's a ton of great Epoc32 software available. I'm amazed how much great stuff has been written since I had my Psion.

Anyone who wants to check out the Psion platform and get a great deal on a really cool machine, that's a real attention-getter, then take advantage of Tiger offering these while they last.

I would recommend having both a Palm and USB serial connector, as well as Virtual PC before getting one. That, or just an actual PC.

The built-in document translation is excellent...it's compatible with Office, and Outlook. If you have an infared cell phone, you can web surf with it and send e-mails. Or find a modem for it.

Doubt they'll have these for long!

Macintosh
Banned
Aug 22, 2001, 09:04 PM

PDA's suck, I hope you know that.

CRASH HARDDRIVE  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2001, 11:18 PM

If they did, you'd actually have a chance at having a girlfriend!

Forum Links
Forum Rules