Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is "Simple-tech" the original memory in Ti powerbook?

Is "Simple-tech" the original memory in Ti powerbook?
miccocan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2004, 03:33 AM

hi
i brought a used 800mhz 15" Ti powerbook last month, but it keeps having problems. For example almost all the applications i installed will quit unexpectedly after a while, and i never have these problem with my school G5, G4 even G3. So today i read another person's post from Mac world,saying that after he installed some aftermarket memory he had the exact same problem i had.

http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbth...b=5&o=&fpart=1

i have two identical 512mb simple-tech brand memory in my Ti book now, anyone know if these are original memory that comes with the powerbook? what can i do to solve the problem?

bighead
Senior User
Apr 7, 2004, 02:19 PM

Those are not Apple OE RAM cards. You have two third-party sticks.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

miccocan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2004, 03:19 PM

oh no!
i got tricked!
if i replace it with OEM memory is it going to solve the problem? or is just the Ti book itself have problem?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 7, 2004, 07:00 PM

Apple RAM is usually Samsung, Micron, or Hynix, IIRC.

Crucial (www.crucial.com) is simply Micron's end-user brand-name, and it top-notch.

tooki

Tomster
Senior User
Apr 7, 2004, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by miccocan:
if i replace it with OEM memory is it going to solve the problem? or is just the Ti book itself have problem?
Doesn't have to be OEM ram, just ram that meets the minimum spec needed for that particular Powerbook.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

bighead
Senior User
Apr 7, 2004, 07:59 PM

Bad RAM can come from any vendor. I've bought 15 or 20 cards from Other World Computing, and I finally got a bad one from them last month. It happens. I consider their stuff to be very reliable, though they use several vendors.

Since your issue is somewhat intermittent, try to take your computer to an Apple Service Center and have them run the Apple Hardware Test on the unit, if possible looping overnight. It will hopefully help determine the source of the issue.

On a side note, I've seen a TON of SimpleTech cards test bad and cause problems in computers, almost more than any other vendor that I've seen (save some types of Nanya and Hynix RAM.)
the bighead

- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2004, 09:28 PM

That RAM is actually Costco brand.

I'm quite serious.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

miccocan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2004, 11:59 PM

thanks guy
maybe i have to buy a new ram, i use kingston always for IBM thinkpad, but someone said that kingston is bad on apple, so which one is good? (old SD 133 mhz ram)

bighead
Senior User
Apr 8, 2004, 01:08 AM

I've seen most Kingston cards as pretty reliable. They are somewhat overpriced, though. While not the cheapest, I still always recommend OWC for memory. Their stuff is awesome, even though most of the time I've never heard of the vendors they use. Like I said in a previous post, I've only had one bad card out of 15 or 20 from them. Their warranty is great, too. Lifetime on all of their RAM. Here's the link to the card you want to look at:

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...WC133SD5123282

It's not the cheapest SODIMM out there, but I've never been disappointed by them.

But seriously, have your unit tested before sinking money into something that isn't guaranteed to solve your problem (unless you're bleeding cash and don't mind spending it...)
the bighead

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2004, 08:48 AM

my 1ghz tig4 has samsung ram out of the factory
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

Forum Links
Forum Rules