Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Office Refit Ideas

Office Refit Ideas
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2016, 03:59 PM

Evening all.

I have taken on an office of sorts because it was available at a rock bottom price. The reason for that is it has very little in it.

Essentially it is a single square-isn room with stone walls that are painted white and a flagstone floor. Consequently its rather cold so I suspect I'll need to run a dehumidifier to get rid of condensation.

I need some ideas about how to make it a little cosier. Someone suggested I cover the floor with hardboard and then carpet over that. Any thoughts?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 9, 2016, 04:45 PM

Nice and cozy.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2016, 05:45 PM

Lamps.

Lamps are vastly superior (in terms of creating an ambiance) to whatever built in lighting you have now.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2016, 08:50 PM

Do you think boarding over the floor is a good idea though?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2016, 09:34 PM

Are the flagstones ugly? How about rugs?

The carpeting thing is out of my area of knowledge, but my knee jerk thought is if you have humidity problems they could warp. Dehumidifier may stave that off... no idea really.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 9, 2016, 10:56 PM

I'd worry about moisture underneath too. Suggest putting down a vapor barrier first (plastic sheet layer). Then the plywood, then carpet or hardwood as you desire. Suggest hangings on the walls too.

You can buy electric heat endlessly, or try to limit the problem. Stone is a decent conductor of heat. So long as it's exposed indoors, you'll have temperature problems.

If you do put plywood down (a subfloor), see if you want to run any cables first. Easy to sneak a few cables under the plywood, not have them visible on the carpet. Either tuck the cables into the mortar gaps in the flagstones, or do some light framing to give you the needed gaps.

andi*pandi
Mar 10, 2016, 12:00 PM

If you're renting temporarily, I'd just put down some carpet and forget the carpentry.

comfy chairs, storage that is functional yet also nice looking.

post pix!

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2016, 12:43 PM

I could be wrong, but there's no way to tack the carpet onto a flagstone, which is why the wood comes first.

andi*pandi
Mar 10, 2016, 12:45 PM

Get carpet / rugs already edged. No tacking. Easy to take with you when you leave, or replace if spilled on.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 10, 2016, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I could be wrong, but there's no way to tack the carpet onto a flagstone, which is why the wood comes first.
Carpet tack strips around the edge of the room held by nails driven into the flagstone. Ideally, an underlayment to create a moisture barrier.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2016, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Get carpet / rugs already edged. No tacking. Easy to take with you when you leave, or replace if spilled on.
Some people think one you edge a carpet, it becomes a rug. Others still consider it a carpet are heretics.

andi*pandi
Mar 10, 2016, 01:21 PM

tomato, tomahto.

Forum Links
Forum Rules