Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Numbers in iCloud loading a document creates a broken alias that I cannot delete

Numbers in iCloud loading a document creates a broken alias that I cannot delete
And.reg
The Mighty
Location: Well the sports issue was within arm's reach but they closed up shop and kicked me out. And I'm out of toilet paper.
Jun 7, 2018, 08:10 AM

macOS 10.13.5
iOS 11.4 on iPhone X
(Thread should probably go to Applications oh well)

I have a few Numbers spreadsheets stored in the iCloud. So, the other day, I was off the internet, but still made a change to one of these Numbers documents that I store in iCloud (let's call the document "MyRecords"). That document is also tagged with two colors in the Finder sidebar, and requires a password to open.

Today, I open up that tag in Finder, and I see that there is that document, but without a lock icon. When I double-click on it, Finder tells me that it's an alias. Even more weirdly, I cannot delete it. If I try to delete it, nothing happens. If I try to point the alias to the original document or any other file, I get an error -43.

So, I go into my iPhone and load "MyRecords" from the Numbers App. After I do that, the original "MyRecords" with the lock symbol shows in Finder beside my tags. Finally.

The problem, however, is that in Finder, both the original document and the useless alias appear in the tags. I can't seem to remove the so-called alias, and I cannot change the tags on it. Command-Delete is grayed out. If I try to drag the alias to the trash, the icon for the trash changes to an eject symbol, but I also don't see the actual picture of the alias being dragged with the cursor toward the eject symbol as the alias doesn't move.

What's going on? How do I erase this alias?
( Last edited by And.reg; Jun 7, 2018 at 08:39 AM. )
This one time, at Boot Camp, I stuck a flute up my PC.

And.reg  (op)
The Mighty
Location: Well the sports issue was within arm's reach but they closed up shop and kicked me out. And I'm out of toilet paper.
Jun 11, 2018, 12:40 PM

Update:

Also just checked the same tabs in the Sidebar, and in addition to that "alias," I just saw a new "alias" there. But this one has no name, no way to change its name, and, as with the previous file, no way to delete it. I mean, it's like if I make any edits offline (e.g., off the internet) to a file, then later on, go back online, and the changes are saved, iCloud seems to create a blank copy of that file.

These aliases do not show in iCloud.com, but they show in my Finder sidebar.

What's going on?

And.reg  (op)
The Mighty
Jun 27, 2018, 11:16 AM

Apparently there's another one that was generated sometime between yesterday and this morning.

Can't open, move, or delete it, and can't change its tags...

Forum Links
Forum Rules