Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > So Confused!

So Confused!
tavilach
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 02:12 AM

I'm so confused...

I'm trying to download programs that will improve the speed of my PowerBook, but I don't know what to get. I've heard people mention Cocktail, MacJanitor, Macaroni, DiskWarrior, TechTool, pithhelmet for animated GIF management in Safari, etc.

I ran searches on these items, but I still can't figure out what each one is good for. I can't just have them all, because many of them cost money...and I can't just try them all out, because I don't understand the options in many of them...

Help!
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2004, 04:13 AM

None of those things will make your Mac "faster".

PithHelmet is an advertising blocker for Safari. You can also set it to block animated gifs or to just repeat them a set number of times, so they don't use as much CPU power.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2004, 06:03 AM

"Improve the speed"? Nothing short of hardware upgrades is going to do that for everything.

That said, some software can help fix certain kinds of problems, or optimize for certain specific tasks. What in particular are you having trouble with?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
"Improve the speed"? Nothing short of hardware upgrades is going to do that for everything.

That said, some software can help fix certain kinds of problems, or optimize for certain specific tasks. What in particular are you having trouble with?
I'm not sure...

People have given me links to all of this software so that I could optimize my computer, but I don't understand what task each one is good for.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

ohm^n
Oct 19, 2004, 02:33 AM

If you want to improve your computers performance I'd buy some ram from newegg.com. You can determine what type of ram you need using a site like this one: eshop.macsales.com.

I bought a 512 MB module for my Dual 1Ghz G4 a few weeks after I got it and it made a really big difference. I'm probably going to drop another one in soon... I've always got a lot of things running simultaneously (Safari, Photoshop, Xcode etc) so even with the 768 megs I've got now I think I could still benefit from more.

Macs come with pretty nice hard drives standard, but faster drives may be something you're interested in too. More so if you work with a lot of video/audio stuff.

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2004, 08:37 AM

bottom line - if you're not the kind of user who can figure out what each of those programs do and why they might or might not help, you probably are not the sort of user who will notice any speed gains from using them.

So don't sweat it.
cpac

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
bottom line - if you're not the kind of user who can figure out what each of those programs do and why they might or might not help, you probably are not the sort of user who will notice any speed gains from using them.

So don't sweat it.
I am an EECS major at Berkeley...I know how things work. I understand the little things that each of these programs do, but I just don't know what their main foci are...

Don't you dare imply that I'm the least bit computer illiterate.

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2004, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by tavilach:
I am an EECS major at Berkeley...I know how things work. I understand the little things that each of these programs do, but I just don't know what their main foci are...

Don't you dare imply that I'm the least bit computer illiterate.
Strong words for somebody who posted a thread with the topic "I'm so confused."

If you're truely curious about what the "foci" of each of these programs are, you can simply look at their respective homepages, or the shorter descriptions on VersionTracker or MacUpdate. But as you must know, given your eminent status, none of them are going to make much of a difference.
cpac

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 08:12 PM

Strong words for somebody who posted a thread with the topic "I'm so confused."

If you're truely curious about what the "foci" of each of these programs are, you can simply look at their respective homepages, or the shorter descriptions on VersionTracker or MacUpdate. But as you must know, given your eminent status, none of them are going to make much of a difference.
Let me rephrase my question. What are the programs that most people find indispensable?

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2004, 08:14 PM

Let me rephrase my question. What are the programs that most people find indispensable?
better.

personally, I don't find any of them indispensable - I get along just fine without them.
cpac

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 08:19 PM

better.

personally, I don't find any of them indispensable - I get along just fine without them.
Haha, well then. How about the rest of you?

sandsl
Senior User
Oct 19, 2004, 08:26 PM

DiskWarrior is the only one worth paying for, and I'd barely call it indispensable - except on the odd occasion when you have major issues, which is rare.

Which options are you struggling to understand in some of them?

(PS Bit chilly in here isn't it? Must be one of those uncontrollable breezes..heh)
Luke

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2004, 08:30 PM

DiskWarrior and TechTool are primarily for repairing/diagnosing bad drives (as long as there isn't an actual hardware problem with the drive... these are expensive, and worth it if you have some data you desperately need to save, but otherwise don't get 'em until you need them. Unless you're made of money, or have the attitude that something going a little wrong at just the wrong time will ruin your life.

I've never used MacJanitor or Macaroni, but I think they both are for scheduling cron tasks. You should be able to do this just fine without downloading them. I don't know if they cost anything... I wouldn't bother.

Cocktail I believe also lets you run the daily, weekly, and monthy cron scripts. It also lets you change some cool preferences in OS X that are normally hidden. Seems like this one was free, or at least had a demo, 'cause I think I've used it before and kinda liked it.

I find PithHelmet indespensible... old versions were freeware, but new versions are shareware. I've heard mixed reviews of the new version anyway... if you use Safari, download the older version (the free one) and use it. If you use Firefox, Camino, OW, Shiira, Opera, iCab, or anything else, don't bother.

tuqqer
Oct 19, 2004, 09:26 PM

tavilach,

first, you may want to try the http://forums.dealmac.com/ for your questions. They're often a bit friendlier to newer questions like this (and no offense meant to MacNN, whatsoever).

second, download a free program called Onyx, quick, before they go to shareware. You can get it at http://www.versiontracker.com. It does some basic maintenance things, that would otherwise require opening up and learning a program called Terminal. And it actually can make your system run less slow, with its optimization, and cleaning the System's cache, both which seem to speed up my system. Onyx pretty much does everything that Cocktail and the other maintenance programs do, so you don't need them.

Third, post back your system's info, like RAM, OS, model, etc. This will give others a better idea of what to suggest, and will probably diminish some of the more snippy responses.

And yes, more RAM, as others noted, usually always speeds things up. Even from 1.5 Gigs to 2.5 Gigs on this G5 2Ghz.
Leopard 10.5.x •• 2.66Ghz Mac Pro, 7 Gigs RAM •• dual 20 Samsung LCDs •• MacBook Core Duo 13" 2Ghz White

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 10:11 PM

Haha, well then. How about the rest of you?
  • Use streamlined, well-written Cocoa applications like Adium, Mail.app, Terminal.app, and avoid using the Finder and the dock to navigate applications and folders (use Quicksilver instead).
  • If you chat on IRC don't use a graphical client, use irssi in the Terminal.
  • Don't use AOL's AIM, use iChat or even better Adium for all your instant messaging needs.
  • You're an engineering and computer science major so you'll have to be writing some code, use the Terminal to write your code in vim and compile your code with GNU's compiler.
  • Make sure your energy saver settings are set to "Highest performance" in the advanced options, or else Mac OS X throttles your CPU. Boo!
  • Get used to using command-tab to switch applications. Learn how to use shortcuts like command-` to switch windows in the current application. Don't let your hand leave the keyboard! If you have to use the mouse to switch applications, hold down option when you're changing applications to hide the current application when you switch. I usually just option-click on the desktop to hide whatever application I'm in, and then I have another application (usually Terminal.app) open with a few windows behind it...
I find that most of my slowdowns occur in Safari (like when writing posts in MacNN with those smilies doin' their stupid dance). I even run folding@home 24/7 on this 1.25 GHz 15" Powerbook with 512 megs of RAM and I notice literally no slowdowns.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2004, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by tuqqer:
It does some basic maintenance things, that would otherwise require opening up and learning a program called Terminal.
EECS at Berkeley. Didn't you hear? He's God on a computer, so he can handle Terminal.app

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by tuqqer:
tavilach,

first, you may want to try the http://forums.dealmac.com/ for your questions. They're often a bit friendlier to newer questions like this (and no offense meant to MacNN, whatsoever).

second, download a free program called Onyx, quick, before they go to shareware. You can get it at http://www.versiontracker.com. It does some basic maintenance things, that would otherwise require opening up and learning a program called Terminal. And it actually can make your system run less slow, with its optimization, and cleaning the System's cache, both which seem to speed up my system. Onyx pretty much does everything that Cocktail and the other maintenance programs do, so you don't need them.

Third, post back your system's info, like RAM, OS, model, etc. This will give others a better idea of what to suggest, and will probably diminish some of the more snippy responses.

And yes, more RAM, as others noted, usually always speeds things up. Even from 1.5 Gigs to 2.5 Gigs on this G5 2Ghz.
Some of the Onyx reviews reported crashing, and I'm worried as to why I've never heard much about the program (if it's so great).

My system is a PowerBook with 1.5/15/80/512/128/5400/SD, and people are saying that I won't be needing more than just a second 512 MB stick of RAM.

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
  • Use streamlined, well-written Cocoa applications like Adium, Mail.app, Terminal.app, and avoid using the Finder and the dock to navigate applications and folders (use Quicksilver instead).
  • If you chat on IRC don't use a graphical client, use irssi in the Terminal.
  • Don't use AOL's AIM, use iChat or even better Adium for all your instant messaging needs.
  • You're an engineering and computer science major so you'll have to be writing some code, use the Terminal to write your code in vim and compile your code with GNU's compiler.
  • Make sure your energy saver settings are set to "Highest performance" in the advanced options, or else Mac OS X throttles your CPU. Boo!
  • Get used to using command-tab to switch applications. Learn how to use shortcuts like command-` to switch windows in the current application. Don't let your hand leave the keyboard! If you have to use the mouse to switch applications, hold down option when you're changing applications to hide the current application when you switch. I usually just option-click on the desktop to hide whatever application I'm in, and then I have another application (usually Terminal.app) open with a few windows behind it...
I find that most of my slowdowns occur in Safari (like when writing posts in MacNN with those smilies doin' their stupid dance). I even run folding@home 24/7 on this 1.25 GHz 15" Powerbook with 512 megs of RAM and I notice literally no slowdowns.
I actually use LaunchBar.

I'd also rather use Xcode to write my code, I don't want to waste too much battery with high settings (but when I'm plugged in, I do use them), and I do use many of the keyboard shortcuts.

I'd rather not use the Terminal all the time, which is what you're suggesting I do. I'm looking for programs that will optimize my computer, not a solution for never needing to optimize it. I believe that my PowerBook can handle Xcode and Dreamweaver and the like, if I'm using the correct settings, running the right scripts, and using enough RAM.

And yes, Safari is what normally slows down my system, especially when I have 20 tabs open. Still, I want the little slowdowns from not running certain scripts when my computer is off, not repairing certain things, etc. removed (the stuff that these little programs seem to focus on). That, with another 512 MB of RAM, should probably do the trick, even with Safari open. All I'm asking is what little programs I should be using to perform these tasks, as I don't really know which of these tasks will actually do anything, and I don't know which program is best at what task (so much overlap)).

Originally posted by Turnpike:
EECS at Berkeley. Didn't you hear? He's God on a computer, so he can handle Terminal.app
You don't have to be snooty. I never said I was G-d, but I am definitely literate.
( Last edited by tavilach; Oct 20, 2004 at 12:11 AM. )

Weezer
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 12:04 AM

I would install macaroni, it's very handy and does all your unix maintenance without having to manually remember.

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by Turnpike:
Heck, I attend California State University, Chico and I'm God. Tavilach must be, like, God + 1. Morons generally don't go to Berkeley, man.

I'd rather not use the Terminal all the time, which is what you're suggesting I do. I'm looking for programs that will optimize my computer, not a solution for never needing to optimize it.
It's freakin' Unix, man; maintenance scripts run automatically, memory is protected and not to mention efficiently managed, the filesystem defrags itself automatically, what more could you want?

You say you don't want to change your performance settings, well bad news, buddy, that's where the major performance hit is going to be. Honestly, you have a 1.5 GIGAHERTZ machine, 512 MB of RAM, and a 5400 RPM drive. What's your malfunction?

All those "optimization" applications are garbage. Clearing caches regularly? Running permissions repair before AND after every software update? C'mon, man. It's all in the head really. Applications like Xcode bring TEH BLOAT.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 03:58 AM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
Heck, I attend California State University, Chico and I'm God. Tavilach must be, like, God + 1. Morons generally don't go to Berkeley, man.
Chico State kicks ass! 58% women, baby!

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 07:18 AM

Get more ram, you'll notice the difference. And use pith whatnot or a css file to block adds, that'll make a nice difference in Safari.

Oh and [APi]TheMan, running repair permissions before/after an update will prevent numerous problems - check the Apple boards.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 08:25 AM

PithHelmet does handle the CPU-sucking animated GIFs, but last time I used it (almost a year ago, I admit), it caused Safari performance to take *a hit* (NOT improve).

Are others finding it better now? (with Panther?)
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2004, 09:44 AM

We can't help you speed up your computer unless we know what exactly you're having problems with. If you want to speed something up, then something is obviously running unusually slow. What is it?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
We can't help you speed up your computer unless we know what exactly you're having problems with. If you want to speed something up, then something is obviously running unusually slow. What is it?
Nothing is unusually slow, but I just want the best optimization options.

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2004, 06:37 PM

Nothing is unusually slow, but I just want the best optimization options.
I think what you may be able to take away from all these comments is:

(1) it *is* optimized for general use.
(2) only if you are experiencing slowness in a particular area or program can we suggest ways to optimize further
(3) any speed gains you might get from posing this sort of generic question on these boards is more than offset by the time it took you to post in the first place.
cpac

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 06:46 PM

any speed gains you might get from posing this sort of generic question on these boards is more than offset by the time it took you to post in the first place.
You need to remember you're talking to the gal that can't be bothered to unplug her USB fan and that is as important as your life. So any hour spent to optimize half a second out of her system is an hour well spent.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
You need to remember you're talking to the gal that can't be bothered to unplug her USB fan and that is as important as your life. So any hour spent to optimize half a second out of her system is an hour well spent.
I'm a guy, yo. I have also been experiencing crazy paging activity and excessive slowness in Safari. While most of it was solved by turning off Norton auto-protect, the paging activity has risen again, and I don't know why.

As for the fan, stop saying that. It's not that I don't want to unplug it once, but I don't want to unplug and replug it every five minutes, and I use a fan like that...on when I'm hot, when I get a little too cold I turn it back off, etc. Some fans do have switches for a reason, but I didn't see any when I was looking for one...and the main purpose of my purchase was a USB light for doing my physics homework (which involves my PowerBook and a sheet of paper) in the dark (I've done so, and it works great). I'd also like to be able to turn the light on and off, without having to reposition it. Yes, I have to reposition it once before use, but I shouldn't need to keep repositioning it...that's a hassle. If you say that it takes a second, you're right, but a second every five minutes can be tedious. It takes a second to open Finder, so why do you use Launchbar?

People shouldn't make fun of the fact that I have a USB fan (and light), because I might be the only person who has found a good use for then. People also shouldn't make fun of my wanting to be able to turn them on and off, because I have a reason for that, too.

I also come into my room late at night, sometimes. I want to see, but don't want to turn on my desk lamp (it's too bright, and wakes up my roommate). Turning on my little USB light would work wonders, but unfortunetely, it has to be either *always* on or *always* off. My solution for that scenario is to place the fan and light in a hub, and to just connect the hub when I want light. The result is that the fan turns on too, which is sort of annoying. Furthermore, that gives me on and off control at my desk, but not on the go. Yes, I could spend money on another small light, but why? That's uneconomical, and doesn't solve the original problem.

If I make a purchase, I want the needs that got me to purchase the item to be satisfied.

I've said a lot, somewhat incoherently, but the overall message to those of you who insist on making fun of my requests is simple: Shut up.
( Last edited by tavilach; Oct 20, 2004 at 07:26 PM. )

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 07:36 PM

I'm a guy, yo.
Oh, sorry. I thought that was you in your sig.

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2004, 07:55 PM

Here are my suggestions for optimizing the operation of your computer ...

Number 1 by far and away ...if you do nothing else get ..

Macaroni .. Just Set It and Forget It!
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9633

Why should you have to remember to clean up your Mac every day, every week, and every month? Shouldn't a computer be able to remember for you?

Macaroni is a tool which handles regular maintenance for Mac OS X, including the Mac OS X repair permissions process (once a week), as well as Unix-style maintenance. Without Macaroni, some of these tasks normally run in the middle of the night, and don't get run unless you leave your Mac on all night. Others don't run automatically at all, and won't happen unless you remember when they're due.
Macaroni runs these maintenance tasks on a regular schedule, regardless of when your Mac is on. If a scheduled maintenance task is not run when it's normally scheduled, Macaroni automatically ensures that it's run at the next opportunity, whenever the Mac is on. Macaroni installs into your system preferences and you can configure and monitor it from there if need be. Otherwise, just "set it and forget it".

For various speed issues ...
Mac OSX Speed Troubleshooting
http://www.macmaps.com/Macosxspeed.html

Safari Speed Tips
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ht=safari+tips

Safari Speed
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15704
Tiger 10.4.8

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 08:33 PM

That's because it is.

I may look young, but I sure as hell don't look like a girl.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2004, 09:23 AM

Ouch! Digs the hole deeper!

Forum Links
Forum Rules