Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Dual Monitors, Dual Logins?

Dual Monitors, Dual Logins?
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2004, 03:59 AM

Is there a way to hook up two monitors, two keyboards, and two mice to once machine, and have each monitors show a login screen, and each kb and mouse belong to one screen, so basically two different users could use each kb, mouse and screen as if it was different computer, but all off of only one real computer?

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2004, 05:07 AM

Sounds like you more or less want a dummy terminal. Though I don't know how to do it, I would guess that it is possible since OSX is based on UNIX.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

sandsl
Senior User
Oct 24, 2004, 08:37 AM

Mac OS X doesn't support multiple gui logins, so no you can't.
Luke

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2004, 04:13 PM

OS X supports multiple logins and Fast User Switching, but it does not as of yet support multiple concurrent logins. I don't think we'll see that feature on OS X client any time soon, even though it seems to be quite possible given the multiple login support we have right now. OS X Server does not even seem to provide this service, but it does provide something similar, NetBoot.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 05:06 PM

Can we ask why?
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2004, 07:19 PM

You can ask why, but I doubt you'll get any better an answer than "because Apple doesn't feel like putting that feature in."

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say they don't want to cut into their hardware sales. But that's just speculation. All we know is that Apple is not including that feature.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 08:33 PM

why would you want that? j/w
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Detrius
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by Mafia:
why would you want that? j/w
It's more effective than two machines.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

larkost
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 11:44 PM

It would put Apple at a competitive advantage in computer labs... it certainly would kill the objection of "it's too expensive", but it does mean complicating the Quartz rendering model a lot, especially all of the parts dealing with AGP acceleration, and area that Apple is doing a lot of work in right now.

There are a few projects in the linux camp that are playing with this right now, and they are running into a few problems (primarily how you deal with multiple keyboards since keyboard handling is so deeply entrenched in everything). In three years I think it would be a very good idea for Apple. Right now I would say keep your coders working on other areas.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 02:56 AM

In Linux, and with Unix in general, this has always been possible because of the way the X Server works. It is possible to do multiple, remote X logins on one machine. One of the more popular projects that does is the Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP). Microsoft also has their Terminal Services for Windows that can do the same.

The scenario that l008com describes is a little bit more difficult and different than the above, since there are multiple physical input devices connected to one physical computer. If I were to imagine this, it would be most likely one or more USB hubs, each having its own keyboard and mouse, and said hubs connected to the computer. The problem is, how will the OS know which input device to send to what 'user' or process?

I recall seeing some dedicated solutions for this on the PC. A google search yields the following products:
- Raritan PC-Share
- Ikonnet HiShare

Forum Links
Forum Rules