Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Looking for a "mini" forum

Looking for a "mini" forum
JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2005, 05:23 PM

Hey all,
I'm looking for one of the those mini forums you see at the end of articles. I'm sure you've seen one...there's an article, and at the end is a bunch of comments that have been posted, and you can post your own on the spot (it's built in to the article page, not a separate forum. Sorry this is a little hard to understand...I tried to find an example, but of course when I was looking for one I couldn't find one.

Does anyone know where I could find a tool like this? It's be reeeeally nice if there was a free one out there, as I am one broke dude. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 28, 2005, 06:01 PM

You can do that with WordPress. Not a forum per se, but if you tweak it a little bit (which isn't hard), you can get the exact same effect. I used it for a blog (now horribly without updating), but it shouldn't be too hard to integrate it into a more 'article-based' layout/site.

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2005, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the response! That software looks great. It would have a lot of potential to do a lot of different little things like that! Unfortunately, my host doesn't allow MySQL, or PHP scripting. Are there any other options out there?

malson
Senior User
Mar 29, 2005, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by JazzCatDRP:
Unfortunately, my host doesn't allow MySQL, or PHP scripting. Are there any other options out there?
Find another host! Seriously, there are tons of reputible hosting companies that offer very cheap packages that come with MySQL and PHP standard.
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2005, 02:47 AM

Unfortunately, I'm a broke college student, so I gotta live with my ISP's webspace. BUT, I did find a free host that offered all the scripts. I spent about an hour trying to figure out how to configure the software, but I must've been doing everything wrong! I couldn't get it going...I'm gonna keep messing with it, and see what I can do.

sandsl
Senior User
Apr 5, 2005, 03:54 AM

Good luck trying to have a 'mini' forum/article comments system without any decent server technologies (php, mysql).
Luke

egleband83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2005, 11:00 PM

Check out the CuteNews system from www.cutephp.com . It's very simple to setup and use, and it uses a flat file system, so there is no need for a mysql database and such.
I've set it up a couple times and have been very impressed with it.
A switcher as of 8/20/03 and loving every moment of it!
15.4" 2.2ghz MBP

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2005, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by egleband83:
Check out the CuteNews system from www.cutephp.com . It's very simple to setup and use, and it uses a flat file system, so there is no need for a mysql database and such.
I've set it up a couple times and have been very impressed with it.
But, judging by its name, isn't it still PHP? JazzCat said PHP was out of bounds too...

Seriously, though, JazzCat - get another host! You can get a host with a couple of hundred megabytes (and PHP/MySQL support!) for a dollar a month or so, you can't possibly be so broke you can't afford that?

jyunderwood
Apr 6, 2005, 06:27 PM

http://www.blogger.com - has the comments feature you are looking for.

http://www.hosted-forum.com/ - is a forum like macnn forums.

both are free (mostly) and don't require you to provide the hosting space so don't worry about having a language.
fluid like water.

Forum Links
Forum Rules