Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cooling your MacBook Pro may be easier than you think (Updated)

Cooling your MacBook Pro may be easier than you think (Updated)
n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2006, 08:42 PM

I apologize if this has been already posted, but didn't find anything.
Anyways, take a look at this article.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...2006/5/24/4100

Sam article, but the full load down.
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...on.html?page=1

I think Apple or a 3rd party should come up w/ a fan controllable app soon so we can choose if we want heat or noise
( Last edited by n8236; May 25, 2006 at 08:52 PM. )

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2006, 12:29 AM

Yes, many of us heard about. I hate to say it but I told you so. The thermal paste is a red herring.

Some of you people were calling us fanboys and clueless.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

fowler
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 12:44 AM

I don't understand how everyone can declare the thermal paste a "red herring" since two sites reporting the same story contradict what everyone else who's re-applied the stuff are saying.

All of a sudden, their experiences and conclusions are invalid? What gives?
[font=verdana]2.16 macbook pro | 2gb | 7200 rpm | 2405FPW[/font]

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2006, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by fowler
I don't understand how everyone can declare the thermal paste a "red herring" since two sites reporting the same story contradict what everyone else who's re-applied the stuff are saying.

All of a sudden, their experiences and conclusions are invalid? What gives?
Read the article. It is possible that they forgot to connect the thermal sensor or that their particular machine had a worse application than most.

According to this article, the difference was minimal to the extent that you could consider the change to be statistically insignificant.
--
Aristotle

fowler
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 12:52 AM

I did read the article.

But like I said, according to everyone else, who's re-applied the paste, temps are down and their fans aren't on full blast as they were the first time the author took his computer apart.

That's where I'm getting confused.
[font=verdana]2.16 macbook pro | 2gb | 7200 rpm | 2405FPW[/font]

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2006, 02:35 AM

I find it an interesting article. 2 degrees F is totally insignificant! I'd never open my case for just 2F. From all I've seen, there are now two articles. One claims reapplication of thermal paste helped, the other claims it was irrelevant. Unfortunately both articles also sucks, because they didn't do proper before and after measurements. Hopefully, there will soon be a better comparison.

skyman
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 01:26 PM

Here is another really GOOD reason not to do this!

Reapplying the thermal paste will VOID YOUR WARRANTEE!

Why would one even consider doing this!
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

jordan2323
May 26, 2006, 08:17 PM

Well, I just did this and it DOES help, without question. Alltogether it took about 45minutes from start to finish. I dissasembled, cleaned the chip cores, and heatsink with alchohol, then applied a razr thin layer of arctic silver to each, then reassembled, and I have been running at 100% CPU, usage, as well as playing a full screen dvd, writing emails, surfing etc. 1 hour and the warmest reading so far was 44c right between the F3 and F4 keys, and the max bottom temp was 41c. My average temp is about 34c to 36c. Don't get me wrong those temps are still a bit warm, but it is without question cooler than before.

not to mention that the dissassembly was quite easy, I winged it without any directions and it was not very difficult. The tear apart guide from ifixit.com has a ton of unneccesary steps to accomplish this task.

n8236  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by sfagundes
Well, I just did this and it DOES help, without question. Alltogether it took about 45minutes from start to finish. I dissasembled, cleaned the chip cores, and heatsink with alchohol, then applied a razr thin layer of arctic silver to each, then reassembled, and I have been running at 100% CPU, usage, as well as playing a full screen dvd, writing emails, surfing etc. 1 hour and the warmest reading so far was 44c right between the F3 and F4 keys, and the max bottom temp was 41c. My average temp is about 34c to 36c. Don't get me wrong those temps are still a bit warm, but it is without question cooler than before.

not to mention that the dissassembly was quite easy, I winged it without any directions and it was not very difficult. The tear apart guide from ifixit.com has a ton of unneccesary steps to accomplish this task.
So did you leave the sensor off and the fan stayed on the whole time? If so, how annoying is it?

jordan2323
May 26, 2006, 08:34 PM

I am sorry I did not clarify that. I simply reapplied the thermal paste properly. I reconnected all the temp sensors, all my temp readings are with everything hooked up.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2006, 03:12 AM

Unfortunately you also just quoted after temps, not before temps. We have no way of comparing. I'm really anxious to hear from somebody who actually measures before and after and then also reports both.

jsousa
May 27, 2006, 04:44 AM

My average temp is about 34c to 36c. Don't get me wrong those temps are still a bit warm, but it is without question cooler than before.

Since when is that warm? I'd say anything under 50C in the x86 world is pretty cool.

chambone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2006, 07:35 AM

So, the thermal paste didn't work out for 4 people and now suddenly it's a red herring? Oh, ok..

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by chambone
So, the thermal paste didn't work out for 4 people and now suddenly it's a red herring? Oh, ok..
It is statistically insignificant if the difference it is in the range of 2-4 degrees Fahrenheit because we have no data on whether the ambient temperature in the room was different and whether or not the humidity in the room changed over that period of it.

Many people have pointed out that Apple's own literature explains how to apply the thermal greese in the same manner as it was applied at the factory, Apple would have consulted Intel with regard to how to apply the grease, and finally people where comparing how they applied arctic silver paste in a desktop situation where the heat sink would have been applied to the CPU with clamps that would not have fit into the laptop case. Less paste is needed because the clips/clamps hold the heat sink down closer to the CPU.

In a nutshell, they were comparing Apples and oranges.
--
Aristotle

skyman
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 05:15 PM

A now since you VOIDED your warrantee you are SOL should you have a real problem with your MBP.

svtcontour
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles
It is statistically insignificant if the difference it is in the range of 2-4 degrees Fahrenheit because we have no data on whether the ambient temperature in the room was different and whether or not the humidity in the room changed over that period of it.

Many people have pointed out that Apple's own literature explains how to apply the thermal greese in the same manner as it was applied at the factory, Apple would have consulted Intel with regard to how to apply the grease, and finally people where comparing how they applied arctic silver paste in a desktop situation where the heat sink would have been applied to the CPU with clamps that would not have fit into the laptop case. Less paste is needed because the clips/clamps hold the heat sink down closer to the CPU.

In a nutshell, they were comparing Apples and oranges.
2-4 degrees would be insignificant if the laptops were running at a reasonable temperature like 55-60C but it becomes very significant if you can lower them down from 85 to 81C for example... if you can get it to the point where its not throttling itself down to keep from blowing up, then it becomes very significant.

svtcontour
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by skyman
A now since you VOIDED your warrantee you are SOL should you have a real problem with your MBP.
Yet another reason not to buy the macbook. If the process of re-applying thermal paste will void the warranty, then its not worth buying. When I first purchased my ASUS laptop, I called their tech support and asked if I can apply a different thermal paste instead of the white stuff they had...such as arctic silver. The tech said that he can make a note in the system that I have done it and that he is assuring me that it will not void the warranty unless there are signs that I did not know what I was doing (such as applying it like toothpaste) or cracking the core..etc. Otherwise he said its not an issue. My friend has also done the same with a Fujitsu notebook and their tech support said its fine.

skyman
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by svtcontour
Yet another reason not to buy the macbook. If the process of re-applying thermal paste will void the warranty, then its not worth buying. When I first purchased my ASUS laptop, I called their tech support and asked if I can apply a different thermal paste instead of the white stuff they had...such as arctic silver. The tech said that he can make a note in the system that I have done it and that he is assuring me that it will not void the warranty unless there are signs that I did not know what I was doing (such as applying it like toothpaste) or cracking the core..etc. Otherwise he said its not an issue. My friend has also done the same with a Fujitsu notebook and their tech support said its fine.
Read your ASUS warranty. What you did VOIDED the warranty, period!

jordan2323
May 27, 2006, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by skyman
Actually I am an ACDT, therefore I did not. Tool.......

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 08:48 PM

well for everyone we're going to wait for apple to fix the problem wrather than void our warrantee

skyman
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 03:07 AM

Actually I am an ACDT, therefore I did not. Tool.......
As an ACDT you are being completely irresponsible advocating the reapplication of the thermal paste as it does indeed VOID the MBP warrantee.

Forum Links
Forum Rules