Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > iSight loses signal [was: Delicious Library users]

iSight loses signal [was: Delicious Library users]
sacarmic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2005, 01:07 PM

Any Delicious Library users out there? I am demoing the app because of the isith scanner feature. It works great for a minute or two, but the looses the signal. The isight is the only fw device plugged in. Funny thing is that it will work all day with ichat. Anyone else seeng this? Anyone else find a solution?

I thought I would ask here, because I have had a tough time getting an answer from Delicious Monster.

Scott

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2005, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by sacarmic:
Any Delicious Library users out there? I am demoing the app because of the isith scanner feature. It works great for a minute or two, but the looses the signal. The isight is the only fw device plugged in. Funny thing is that it will work all day with ichat. Anyone else seeng this? Anyone else find a solution?

I thought I would ask here, because I have had a tough time getting an answer from Delicious Monster.

Scott
I'd love to help, but what the hell is an "isith scanner"? The only thing I could find on google is a Star Wars character who is a smuggler. Of course on this forum, who the hell knows?

Ah, after looking at it again "isight scanner" okok. Sorry.

Describe a little more about losing the signal. Does the window go blank or does it just not pick up the bar code even though you can still see the image in the window? Mine is pretty sensitive to reading the bar codes to the point that I think sometimes it isn't working. After moving the barcode around a little bit, it eventually reads it.
Backup your Backup

sacarmic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2005, 02:38 PM

O.K., I deserved the star wars crack!

What happens is, after about a minute two after the isight window is open, the image freezes and I then get a graphic in the window that says "no signal" It will stay that way until I close the app, unplug the isight, plug it back in and relaunch the app. Same thing happens every time.

Scott

bobablob
Feb 23, 2005, 05:23 PM

Happened to me too. Not buying the product for that reason.

sacarmic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2005, 06:06 PM

What surprises me is that I can't get any response from email from them. Bad pr from a startup company.

Scott

Preciousss
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2005, 07:02 PM

What are the specs on your system? Also, does your iSight have the most recent firmware update? And what version of Delicious are you running?

I've only played with the demo, but have not encountered the problem you mentioned.

If you haven't already, check out their blog. Link is at the bottom of the page on their home website. You can get a sense of where they're taking the product (including iTunes integration). Still, not a good excuse for not returning emails. They didn't return mine either, and I was hoping they'd say hi to a local peep. Oh well.

I'm keeping my eye on them, though. Once they open it up past Amazon, I'll be more interested.

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2005, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by sacarmic:
O.K., I deserved the star wars crack!

What happens is, after about a minute two after the isight window is open, the image freezes and I then get a graphic in the window that says "no signal" It will stay that way until I close the app, unplug the isight, plug it back in and relaunch the app. Same thing happens every time.

Scott
Are you using version 1.1 of Library?

I've had no such problems with mine and recently used the isight to import 300+ items. The only thing I can think of is that iChat is grabbing the iSight automatically once it is plugged in or the camera is opened. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Backup your Backup

sacarmic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2005, 09:13 PM

I'm using a DP 1.8GHz G5, 1.5gb ram, running 10.3.8

I've got the auto launch on ichat turned off. It wouldn't see it at all until I did that.

Scott

foodog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2006, 12:09 AM

I realize this post is quite old, but the issue it addresses is still current.

If your iSight is losing signal, chances are it's not getting enough power. This is usually because it's daisy chained to a hard drive, though, very rarely, simply having an external drive sharing the bus can do it, especially if that drive is using bus power (rather than being plugged into the wall).

The thing to do is to plug the iSight directly into the computer, or disconnect the external hard drive (or plug it in, or get a powered Firewire hub, that sort of thing).

Incidentally, turning the iSight off and on again tends to reset it.

A similar problem, where the iSight just never seems to work in Delicious Library, can be caused by having another application open that's trying to use the iSight, such as iChat, or Photo Booth.

-Mike

mini
May 29, 2006, 07:10 AM

I've been having this problem. My iMac G4 (2 separate FW ports) only has an 80Gb disc, so I've been booting of an external half-terabyte firewire disc for a while now... it has it's own power supply.

The iSight cuts out for delicious library when I boot from the disc, or in fact even if I boot from the internal disc and just have the external switched on (again, note the disc has it's own power supply). The only way I get the iSight working is if the external disk is off entirely. Which means doing all my scanning off the internal disk, exporting to a txt file, rebooting and importing.

Interestingly, iChat works with the iSight with absolutely no problems when booting external.

I followed the advice here and on another form (Apple's?) and bought a Belkin powered FireWire hub and plugged the iSight into that. No difference, iChat works fine, Library doesn't. I tried a few combinations of peripherals and ports direct into the computer or via the powered hub...still no difference. 50 quid down the pan (anyone want to buy a barely used 6-port hub?)

I must confess to being pretty disappointed. I have literally thousands of books and CDs to catalogue and my options with Library at present are to type the numbers by hand, 'reboot' the iSight every 2 items or scan them all into the small disc and then reimport into the larger disc.

:-(

Alan

highfructose
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2006, 11:35 PM

Same problem here. I'm running a G4 mini booting from an external FW HDD. I have a powered belkin FW hub that was daisy chained from the HDD (since the G4 minis only have 1 FW port) My iSight stops responding within a few minutes of being used by DM/

After reading this forum, I reconnected my setup like so: Powered FW hub goes directly to mini, both iSight and booting FW HDD are connected to the hub. This isn't recommended by the HDD mfgr, but for the sake of troubleshooting I gave it a go. I figured this would work around any bottleneck due to the hub connecting thru the HDD, but I have the same problem.

My iSight works fine for extended periods of time in iChat, but it displays a "no signal" screen after anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes in DM. I don't see how utilizing the iSight can be so different between iChat and DM.

I'm currently demoing the product and I really like what it can do - this odd behavior with iSight is the only thing preventing my purchase. Does anyone have alternative suggestions to remedy this behavior?

Forum Links
Forum Rules