Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Help: Amazon drag NOP in Firefox

Help: Amazon drag NOP in Firefox
Ed S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 05:18 PM

Browser is Firefox 2.0. Drag&drop to Delicious Library doesn't seem to work. I've tried grabbing the proxy icon on the URL bar, on the tab title, and dragging the URL itself. It always snaps back to Firefox. I haven't tried other forms of drag, but I am open-minded...

This might not be an easy one to fix: drag selection is very different between Firefox and Safari. I've checked about:config for Firefox settings and can't find anything that changes the selection behavior. But if it's easy, would you consider it for an upcoming maintenance release?

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 04:49 PM

Although the pasteboard seems like a single thing, there are actually multiple pasteboards that run simultaneously.

When you drag something, the application will write a bunch of different versions of the thing you're dragging to the various pasteboards. Then, when you drag it to another application, that application will choose which pasteboard it likes best.

This is why you can drag an image to an image editor and get an image, but if you dragged the same image to a text editor, it would paste in the filename (or something).

One of the pasteboards is for URLs. Safari properly puts the URL of a dragged item onto the URL pasteboard, but Firefox apparently puts that information onto the String pasteboard, which Delicious Library doesn't check.

We have, experimentally, a kind of "media code super sniffer" that will work around this if and when we finish and merge it. In the meantime, someone should probably file a bug on Firefox (or just go in and fix it, Firefox being FOSS).

Ed S  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2006, 11:22 AM

Thanks again for the quick reply. Looks like it's already filed as Firefox bug 309225. Not something I can fix in the near future.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2007, 11:13 AM

So I met Mozilla's Colin Barrett at WWDC and brought this up with him. He's filed this specific problem as bug 386790. He also points out, "we're aware of the issue, and don't need encouragement in the form of bugzilla comments We'll get it fixed."

Thanks, Colin!

Forum Links
Forum Rules