Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Sort or re-order shelves ?

Sort or re-order shelves ?
Topov81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2007, 07:07 AM

Hi,

Just wondered if there's way of sorting or manually re-ordering the shelves I've created.

I like to group them in categories, or simply a-z but everytime I create a new one it's simply added to the bottom of the list, with no obvious way of moving it.

Been getting around it by simply deleting or renaming the existing shelves to be in the order I desire, then manually re-populate them. Time consuming to say the least !

If it's not possible then can the option be included in v2.0 please ?
( Last edited by Topov81; Mar 18, 2007 at 04:33 AM. )

stravinsky1911
Mar 17, 2007, 09:31 PM

In the top center of the Delicious Library window, it says something like "Movies: by creator, a to z" - click on that area and you will be presented with the sort options. Is that what you need or am I missing something in your question?
timeline - SE/30, some crappy performa, original bondi iMac 233, TiBook500, macbook pro 2GHz

Topov81  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2007, 04:32 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply but that's for simply sorting the items.

What I want to sort or re-order is the list of my created shelves on the left hand side (under Recent Imports).

For example, if I had created the following shelves :

Books - Children
Books - Reference
DVD - Music
DVD - Sport

... and then created a new shelf called "Books - Cookery", it would be added to the bottom of the list, with no way of moving it back up between "Books - Children" and "Books - Reference".

It would also be nice if v2.0 had the option to create Smart shelves (similar to iTunes and iPhoto).

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2007, 05:19 PM

The shelves, being based on iTunes' playlists, are not movable within Delicious Library. Unlike iTunes, we leave the shelves in the order they are created, though from user feedback, it seems alphabetical might be a better way to go after all. This will most likely have to wait for Delicious Library 2, then we'll see if people like that, or if we'll have to come up with something more complicated.

It is possible to rearrange the shelves within the XML data file, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you've got your data backed up and are comfortable with XML, as the tiniest mistake could cause you to lose all your data.

Smart shelves are in the works.

Topov81  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2007, 06:16 PM

Great, thanks for the info. I've carefully amended the XML file so the shelves are now in my preferred order.

Forum Links
Forum Rules