Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Chicago Tribune Endorses Barack Obama For President

The Chicago Tribune Endorses Barack Obama For President
dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2008, 07:49 PM

I just posted this on my blog. And, so I don't have to call out myself for committing a Rule 8 violation, I am encouraged by the fact that newspapers from communities all over the country, with a variety of political biases, have endorsed Barack Obama for President. (Although a big part of me still wishes the endorsements were for Ron Paul, I can live with an Obama presidency more so than I can with a McCain presidency. At least I know Obama won't be pushing for 100 more years in Iraq.)

My Kind of Town, Chicago
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Oct 18, 2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: deleted an un-necessary preposition.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2008, 07:58 PM

I think the newspaper endorsement count is 56 for Obama and 16 for McCain.
It gets worse and worse everyday for the GOP and McCain.

Here's a list from a Huff Post article about Newspaper Endorsements
The Denver Post, "which had backed George W. Bush in 2004 and is owned by Republican-leaning William Dean Singleton," endorsed Barack Obama for president on Friday. "So did the Chicago Sun-Times, Kansas City Star. Southwest News-Herald (Ill.) and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. And to top it off: another Bush-backing in 2004, The Salt Lake Tribune."
Newspapers that Backed Bush in 2004, Shift to Obama
The Religious Right is neither.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2008, 08:00 PM

Colin Powell is going on Meet the Press tomorrow...

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2008, 09:53 PM

I have nothing to add except the Chicago Tribune is a worthless newspaper and so it doesn't matter who they endorse.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

dcmacdaddy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2008, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I have nothing to add except the Chicago Tribune is a worthless newspaper and so it doesn't matter who they endorse.
What makes it a "worthless newspaper" in your opinion?

Or more generally,
what qualities do you think make for a good newspaper?
and how/why are those qualities missing from the Chicago Tribune?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2008, 02:50 AM

There are a ton of conservative readers of the Trib who were calling in to talk shows today saying they were canceling their subscriptions over this. I guess they couldn't handle one endorsement of a democrat after endorsing every republican candidate since its inception. A much better reason to drop the Trib would be their new, ugly layout. I had one colleague describe it as their attempt at making the newspaper readable for people who don't want to read newspapers (aka, a losing proposition).

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2008, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post

That it's a daily.

dcmacdaddy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Colin Powell is going on Meet the Press tomorrow...
...and he came out with an endorsement for Obama.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10...bama/comments/

Of course, this endorsement will be seen as racially biased, but what causes me to question the value of it is Powell's years spent advocating for the war policies of President Bush. In the interview today he made comments critical of the handling of the Iraq War yet he was the one who provided such strong, reasoned, impassioned advocacy for the war. I'm not saying that Powell is not allowed to change his mind but to come out now and argue that the handling of the war has gone badly calls into question his former advocacy of it and leads me to question the worth of his judgment on Obama.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2008, 12:13 PM

Like I posted in the other thread, some folks think that Powell did everything he could to steer things in another direction during the run-up to the war, but like the good military man ultimately followed the chain of command and did what he was told. Is that the truth? Maybe....

dcmacdaddy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Like I posted in the other thread, some folks think that Powell did everything he could to steer things in another direction during the run-up to the war, but like the good military man ultimately followed the chain of command and did what he was told. Is that the truth? Maybe....
That's always been my read of the situation: Powell as the good soldier who follows orders no matter what. But I do think his credibility has been diminished because of this attitude.

I would like to see him as Secretary of Defense in an Obama Administration. As an accomplished soldier and somewhat-accomplished diplomat he knows the military inside-out and, I would hope, understands the diplomatic value of using military force (I think Rumsfeld only thought of the military as a purely fighting tool and not as a diplomatic tool as well).
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Oct 19, 2008 at 12:43 PM. )

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2008, 04:46 PM

Or more generally,
what qualities do you think make for a good newspaper?
and how/why are those qualities missing from the Chicago Tribune?
Worthless because the quality of the writing/editing is poor compared to other papers I read (namely, the WSJ). Also because the paper is antisemitic and provides little analysis of issues. The articles felt (I don't get the paper anymore) like a high school paper reporting on what they saw with no research into the history or analysis of trends.

and how am I qualified to make this judgment? I'm not, it's just an opinion based on 20 years of reading it.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2008, 06:38 PM

The fact that it's endorsing Obama, probably.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Worthless because the quality of the writing/editing is poor compared to other papers I read (namely, the WSJ). Also because the paper is antisemitic and provides little analysis of issues. The articles felt (I don't get the paper anymore) like a high school paper reporting on what they saw with no research into the history or analysis of trends.

and how am I qualified to make this judgment? I'm not, it's just an opinion based on 20 years of reading it.
Why, because of a single cartoon published 5 years ago?

And if you thought the Chicago Tribune had poor writing/editing on par with a high school paper, why did you continue reading it for 20 years?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2008, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Why, because of a single cartoon published 5 years ago?

And if you thought the Chicago Tribune had poor writing/editing on par with a high school paper, why did you continue reading it for 20 years?
No, it has little to do with one cartoon. Over the course of the first and second intifada in Israel the tribune was consistently one sided.

I grew up in chicago and my parents got the tribune and the WSJ. Once we got the internet and it satisfied their needs for local news and the bias during the intifada was taking place there was no reason to keep it any longer.

Wiskedjak: The fact that the tribune endorses Obama isn't such a big deal to me or my family. The state and the Jewish vote are already democratic and Obama is the Illinois senator on top of that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules