Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hypothesis on iBook slow combo drive issue

Hypothesis on iBook slow combo drive issue (Page 2)
mqa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2003, 05:20 PM

This did not work for me. I have the Toshiba drive by the way.

ryanm53
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2003, 11:36 PM

Hope you guys could help me. Has anyone tried an external drive on their 800 iBook with burner problems? if so what was the speed of the drive? I'm thinking about buying an external and putting this ugliness behind me, except I borrowed a friend's 16X lacie firewire and the same problem existed. So I just want to know if a 40,48, or 52X would cause the same problems. Thanks in advance.

x user
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2003, 12:38 AM

How did you guys determine burn speed. I know mines not a speed demon, but it seems to be faster than 4x. I have an 800 12" combo.

mqa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2003, 03:54 AM

You can determine burn speed in several ways.

First by the time it takes to burn the disc. A 700MB disc should take 5 minutes to burn if full. If it takes 10 or 20 minutes, then it of course is burning at 8x or 4x respectivly. If you are using Toast to burn your CD's, then you may notice that each second on the countdown timer takes 2 or 4 seconds to count down.

Another way to tell what speed it burns at is if you have the Sony drive, it will not let you select "16x" or "8x" if the drive is feeling finiky.

Finally when you mess around with it long enough, you can differentiate between the different speeds by the intensity of the disc spinning sound comming from the drive.

Vax
Apr 8, 2003, 07:30 PM

OK, any new ideas what to do against it? I am getting annoyed by now...
--:: Insanity is also a state of mind ::--

ryanm53
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2003, 06:08 PM

Does anyone have more info on this problem? I really need to figure this out soon. Its driving me crazy. Thanks.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Apr 14, 2003, 07:33 PM

guys, what has the apple technical support mentioned when you called them up at 1 800 275 2273?
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Forum Links
Forum Rules