Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Airborne shipping notes

Airborne shipping notes
machem
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 05:34 PM

I met a fellow this week who turns out to be a Supply Manager (shipping and so on) for Apple. He was interested in experiences with Airborne this past week; in fact his boss is apparently concerned that some things could have been done better. I sent him a summary of what people were saying, and the issues as I saw them. Like I said, they seem very interested in improving things.

It may be useful to post issues, suggestions and solutions (no rants, please) here. (Hint, hint)

Lattimer
Sep 27, 2003, 05:43 PM

Airborne Express is the worst shipping company I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. My iPod never registered with there tracking system, and when I called them (5 times), no one had an answer for me as to where it was. Then it just showed up one day out of the blue. Not my idea of good shipping.

My Powerbook seems to be suffering from the same sorry service. Tracking number took the first time, but no info could be displayed...I check it the next day and the tracking number didn't even register! I sure hope it shows up out of the blue as well.

Not pleased
"God bless America. Let's save some of it." --Edward Abbey
More

slow moe
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2003, 06:05 PM

Airborne Express just needs to improve their tracking system. A lot. A whole lot. A whole whole lot.

My PB's tracking number never registered on their web site, and Apple didn't have a clue as to where it was, then a few hours before it arrived, it showed up on Airborne's web site as "Out for delivery". I mean, they might as well not even give you a tracking number if all they're going to do is torture you with it.

EDIT: The exact same thing happened last year, when I ordered a monitor, and it shipped Airborne Express. I don't mind the tracking number issue exept that someone has to be there when they show up to sign for the package, or else you got to wait another day, or drive to their location before a certain time that day to pick up the package. It's a inconvenence more than anything.
Lysdexics have more fnu.

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2003, 06:10 PM

A shipping company's tracking system is as important as a Quarter Back's Arm. This is not acceptable, if you dont know where a package is , or you can't easily tell me, then you are not reliable, efficient or responsible in your duty: ie SHIPPING.

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2003, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Bruck:
A shipping company's tracking system is as important as a Quarter Back's Arm. This is not acceptable, if you dont know where a package is , or you can't easily tell me, then you are not reliable, efficient or responsible in your duty: ie SHIPPING.
Totally and completely disagree. SHIPPING is getting a thing from point A to point B when and how you say you will. Airborne Express has done that for me time and time again with no problems. The fact that it is on a truck somewhere or still on a plane five hours before it is due doesn't matter to me at all as long as it shows up in my office when they say it will. Whether I can sit in my office and hand-wring while "tracking" my package on-line during its trip is irrelevant to how good of a SHIPPER a company is.
Backup your Backup

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by israces:
SHIPPING is getting a thing from point A to point B when and how you say you will.
True! Which is why I was disappointed when they dropped my iPod off at the wrong apartment complex yesterday and got me worried that they wouldn't be able to track it down and get it to me. Luckily, it was dropped off at some other apartment's rental office, so they picked it up and dropped it off here (right apt) today.
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

machem  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 08:17 PM

Totally and completely disagree. SHIPPING is getting a thing from point A to point B when and how you say you will. Airborne Express has done that for me time and time again with no problems. The fact that it is on a truck somewhere or still on a plane five hours before it is due doesn't matter to me at all as long as it shows up in my office when they say it will. Whether I can sit in my office and hand-wring while "tracking" my package on-line during its trip is irrelevant to how good of a SHIPPER a company is.
I would agree with this. Airborne's shipping is very good. At least as good as UPS, IME. The interaction with the customer --- getting answers, fast and accurate tracking, etc. is what stinks. Now, because the other guys (FedEx and UPS, among others) offer the same or better actual shipping, but much, much better tracking, Airborne has some issues. They are bringing up the rear of the big three, clearly.

pknoll
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 08:46 PM

Airborne left my (signature required) PowerBook delivery sitting on my front step with no signature. The driver scrawled something in the signature box and -left it there- for anyone to take.

It was 4 hours until my girlfriend got home and brought it inside. I'm stunned that it stayed there that long unmolested, and tremendously relieved that it wasn't damaged or missing.

What the driver did was completely irresponsible, totally unacceptable and possibly illegal (he claims that I signed for that package) and I'm still talking to Airborne (moving up the food chain, so to speak) about how displeased I was with their service. Apple will also be getting a letter from me, since if I cannot get a different shipper next time, I will not be purchasing any more products from them online.

That said, I'm very pleased with my purchase, my 15" PowerBook is easily the best laptop I've ever used, and just may be the best computer I've ever used. =)
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7GHz / 2GB / X800XT
PowerMac G3 400MHz / 896MB
PowerBook G4 1GHz / 1GB
iBook SE G3 466MHz / 576MB

Waveman
Sep 27, 2003, 08:52 PM

I also don't care if my shipment is on an airplane, a truck, or a handcart, as long as it arrives when it's expected, in good condition.

In this case, however, Airborne was unable to even tell me which day my PB would arrive. For those who have to make special arrangements to accept a package, that's not acceptable.

sorkinesque
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 10:44 PM

my ipod has been in the possession of airborne for 8 days now. After numerous phone calls to both Airborne and Apple - numerous because the info I received was always incomplete or contradictory- I found out my ipod has not yet 'begun the shipping process'. It's been sitting somewhere- though no one can tell me specifically where- for 7 days without being shipped. So if your criteria for a good shipping company is getting something from point A to point B, then Airborne fails, and Apple fails by association- at least in my case....and apparently some others...

porsche993
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2003, 12:18 AM

I too didn't have my order show up with Airborne's tracking system until ~24 hours before delivery. However, it was delivered to the wrong address when it was delivered. Airborne hired a courier to pick it up, but said courier couldn't deliver it to me. I had to have my wife drop by the out-of-the way Airborne warehouse and pick it up...which she couldn't do, because she didn't have _my_ ID. So I had to go out there after she got home.

When I got to the station, there were airline shipping containers littering the _public_ parking lot (no homeland security issues there), and after examining the package, there was no signature in the signature drop-off box, so I'm not sure how the driver delivered it in the first place.

cheers,

sean

Forum Links
Forum Rules