Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Help with VPN Printing

Help with VPN Printing
electroJerm
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2006, 10:48 AM

Hey all,

I've got a PowerBook running 10.4, and I'm VPN'd into a PC network. I want to print off of an HP LaserJet that is hooked up to a PC's Serial port, and then shared with the PC's in that network. I see the LaserJet in the Printer Browser, and can add it, but ultimately, nothing will print to it. Unfortunately, I can't do anything about the way the network is setup, so I've either got to fix this through the way the Printer is setup on this PowerBook, or no printing at all.

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated. We are a non-profit group, all volunteers, and donating our time to the community.

thanks!

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 10:39 AM

I suspect that the VPN is a red herring. Try taking your PB to work and print directly on the network there. I bet it won't work. You probably need a different driver for the printer.

electroJerm  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2006, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by ink View Post
I suspect that the VPN is a red herring. Try taking your PB to work and print directly on the network there. I bet it won't work. You probably need a different driver for the printer.
Well, funny you should say that - I only need the VPN printing while in the office - to be more specific, there are two networks here: A wired network that a few PC's are connected to (one of which is connected directly to the printer), and a wireless network in the same building that my PB is connected to. For reasons beyond my control, I can't connect directly to the wired network, nor do I know how the wired network relates to the wireless network. I only know that I can successfully VPN into the wired network.

For good measure, I downloaded and reinstalled the latest HP Universal Print Drivers.

Any further thoughts?
My name is Jeremy Cogan, and my thoughts are here: JeremyCogan.com

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 02:02 AM

That you can "see" the printer implies that all the networking is solid; I'd still look to drivers for a solution. If you can get on the wired network, that would definitely rule out networking/VPN issues.

Forum Links
Forum Rules