Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > what speakers do you use?!?

what speakers do you use?!?
bensone1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2007, 09:29 PM

hey everyone... i just ordered my 24" iMac today and i am thinking of getting rid of my current speaks, cause they are kinda huge and the sound isn't what they used to be... so i was wondering, what kinda speakers is everyone out there using? i was thinking about either getting the jbl creature speakers or the harmon kardon soundsticksII... but those are the only two that i have really looked into. so what do you guys use or recommend? thanks for all the input!

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2007, 06:35 AM

I use JBL Creature Speakers
Signature depreciated.

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2007, 11:15 AM

I use the JBL Creatures at the office and the iPod Hi-Fi at home.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2007, 03:50 PM

I'm using the Klipsch iFi speakers. They work pretty well, but unfortunately the amp is tuned for the lower line-level of the iPod, so I occasionally get some pops and clicks when I listen to audio from the computer. Turning the volume on my computer down to about 75 to 80 percent seems to solve the problem, though.

See a review here: Klipsch iFi Speaker System | iLounge iPod Accessory Reviews
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2007, 05:56 PM

Soundsticks, the original USB ones, not the later audio jack connector ones (I have a G4 tower though, not an iMac).

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 27, 2007, 06:00 PM

I have the iMac hooked up via optical cable to a technics DTS/DD decoder, fed into a 1976 Technics SA-8500X quadraphonic receiver, and a 1978 technics SU-7700 integrated amp. The speakers are panasonic SB-550s, a custom built center channel, bass shakers, and soon a custom built sub. It sounds FREAKING AMAZING.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Me too... look great next to my iMac, and sound really good.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2007, 10:57 PM

i mix on these: M-AUDIO - Studiophile BX8a - 130-Watt Bi-Amplified Studio Reference Monitors

and since i know that most people won;t have them while listening I listen to the finished stuff on these: Stereo - 2.0 and 2.1 > Logitech� X-230

both hooked to my computer using a splitter so that I dont have to do any cable switch.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2007, 11:32 PM

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2007, 11:58 PM

Ho ho ho...

I use a MacBook rather than an iMac, but would use the same speakers with an iMac if I had one, so:

Goodmans Active 45 20 Watts PMPO

That's what's written on the front of 'em, so that's all I can tell you.

As I said, "Ho ho ho..."
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Ham Sandwich
Jan 28, 2007, 02:33 AM

Cambridge SoundWorks FPS200 4.1 Audio System

Each of the 4 speakers has dimensions post-it note cubed. The 200W sub is very lightweight, but do not let it fool you. I keep it on for about 15% of the turn of the dial (and I know some extra physics with sound waves to help me out with directing the hole), because more than 15% is often too much. It all cost $100 for the package... BACK IN 2002. They majorly refreshed (and oversimplified) their product line since then. Here's a quality 2.1 replacement if you need one:

Cambridge SoundWorks : A Creative Company - Shop for speakers, in-wall speakers, computer speakers, mp3 players, receivers, dvd players, headphones and more!

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 28, 2007, 12:19 PM

Did you guys with the 'creature' speakers listen to anything else? Or buy them purely based on aesthetics? Becuase I thought they sounded like ****.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2007, 02:48 PM

Logitech Z-5300e for powermac, Logitech z4 Speakers for PowerBook, and Altec Lansing ACS31 2.1 speakers for my Gateway 2000 486, still run great 12 years later.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Did you guys with the 'creature' speakers listen to anything else? Or buy them purely based on aesthetics? Becuase I thought they sounded like ****.
They sound fine. (better than anything else that I have ever used + low cost)
Signature depreciated.

bensone1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 06:06 PM

has anyone tried the logitech z-10's those looked interesting

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2007, 06:11 PM

i tried to use the creature speakers for a while, but had to return them due to their crappy-ness

Alex

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2007, 06:24 PM

ESI nEar 05. I think they're pretty difficult to get ahold of in the US, but they were previously sold by M-Audio (or rather Midiman, as they were known back then) as the SP-5B. The bass is pretty lacking, but considering I don't have any sort of acoustical treatment perhaps that's just as well.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 28, 2007, 07:43 PM

They sound fine. (better than anything else that I have ever used + low cost)
Did you listen to some plain jane 'cube' looking speakers like cambridge soundworks?

chrisdisregard
Jan 28, 2007, 07:58 PM

( Last edited by chrisdisregard; Nov 23, 2019 at 06:12 PM. )

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
i tried to use the creature speakers for a while, but had to return them due to their crappy-ness
Whatever... they work really well here.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2007, 04:56 PM

I use an older version of the Sony SRS-Z510. I really like them as do most people who I know. Most of my friends went with systems that include a sub-woffer, or nice looking ones from the apple store. Almost all agree mine sound the best, even though they are just silver boxes. You just can't beat really high quality paper and a solid magnet in an acoustically well designed housing. The bass may not rattle your chair and they may not wake up the neighborhood, but for just sitting and listening to some concertos or playing a game, the sound is true and clear with no distortions. Plus, I think the silver boxes look fine next to my Macbook pro and Powerbook AL before that.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel View Post
working well yes, sounding well a big no. working well and sounding well are two DIFFERENT things. you'll understand sooner or later

Gorloth
Jan 30, 2007, 07:00 PM

I've designed an 8 watt triode amplifier that drive some ribbon planar speakers.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 30, 2007, 07:44 PM

I betcha a cheaper, 'less fancy looking' system would sound better.

jmillerpb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2007, 08:36 PM

I looked for weeks and decided on a pair of Swan's M-200's for my 20" iMac. Built in amp, excellent sound and beautiful cabinetry. You can buy them from newegg.com for $200. Also, read the reviews on the newegg site.

Newegg.com - Swan M200 Studio Monitor - Pair - Retail

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2007, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
working well yes, sounding well a big no. working well and sounding well are two DIFFERENT things. you'll understand sooner or later
I'm not sure, but I think "sounding well" is rather subjective, while "working well" is objective. So I can't help you if you think the creature speakers don't sound nice/right/good/whatever.

I think you just lost the debate.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2007, 09:49 PM

I use Kef reference series bookshelf speakers with a yamaha hifi amp and yamaha 8" sub
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2007, 09:58 PM

I want a surround sound setup complete with 5 iPod HiFis and an iSub.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2007, 10:43 PM

I recommend these

Stereo - 2.0 and 2.1 > Logitech� Z-4i

You can get them cheaper than what is listed on the website

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 31, 2007, 02:50 AM

I'm not sure, but I think "sounding well" is rather subjective, while "working well" is objective. So I can't help you if you think the creature speakers don't sound nice/right/good/whatever.

I think you just lost the debate.
Sure. By that rational, a chevette is a cool car to one person, and a lamborghini to another.

However, from a purely non-biased standpoint, it's pretty obvious which one sucks. In this case, creature speakers suck major ass. Their sound reproduction from 20hz-20khz is all over the place. In audio terms, that sucks.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2007, 03:08 AM

he's right, it's not a matter of personal opinion.. if you enjoy the sound of your creature speakers, enjoy them. but in terms of frequency response and actual measurements audiophiles use to objectively say 'these speakers rock' or 'these speakers suck' (which does translate in the real world to how accurate/good they sound), those speakers are very unbalanced. faithful reproduction is everything
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

kikkoman
Senior User
Jan 31, 2007, 09:45 AM

geraldartman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2007, 08:00 AM

KLIPSCH! They look very spacey, not sure of model or if still available from about 3 yrs ago. Sound ABFAB, as good as my HK's in the living room. Look very cool also.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2007, 10:26 AM

I use aluminum JBL Creature IIs with my Power Mac and PowerBook, they sound great.

Weebol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2007, 11:06 AM

I use m-audio sudiopro 4 with my imac. I set up some creative 2.1(don't remember the model), some logitech z-230's and my new purchase at that time of the m-audio's. Hooked each set up to a portable cd player and I hated the creative speakers, the logitechs were much better, but the m-audio's were best even without a subwoofer. If you really need the subwoofer logitch z-230, otherwise m-audio.

Greatest_Genius_Ever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2007, 12:54 AM

Was not a fan of Bose before, but really like Bose Companion 2 speakers for general listening. Bought them for $67 at Sams Club in-store and have no complaints.
MBP, Dual G5, Dual G4 MDD, G4 Sawtooth, MacMini, Pismo400 & 500, 8500

Cassifire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2007, 03:50 PM

Duraband. ON SALE, $9.99!
eMac 1.42 GHz | 12" iBook G4 1.33 GHz
Mercy For Animals

bhamblin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2007, 09:33 PM

I use the built-in iMac speakers. Or headphones.

FCgrabo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2007, 03:58 AM

Ditto!!

Wonderful speakers.
iMac G5 1.8, Mac mini 1.66 Intel, iMac G3 700, PowerMac 6500 250, iBook 366

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 4, 2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by FCgrabo View Post
Ditto!!

Wonderful speakers.
Wonderfully awful sound reproduction, maybe. But if you meant wonderful as in good, no, sorry, they stink.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 03:03 PM

Not everyone can find great vintage audio gear for cheap on craigslist like you.

P
Feb 4, 2007, 03:38 PM

Use Soundsticks (the original, with USB) on my iMac G5. Replaced the old iSub I had with the iMac G3. Love the sound, love the fact that I have the audio out port available for headphones (switch between them with the Soundsource Menu Extra.

For the HTPC, I use an LG hometheater system with an optical SPDIF connection. You can get great deals on systems like that, if you look around, but they tend to be large. Only really worth it if you intend to watch DVDs on it.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 4, 2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
Not everyone can find great vintage audio gear for cheap on craigslist like you.
Then they aren't willing to look. I just checked today and found a sweet pair of utah speakers for $35, and a vintage sony amp for $20. $55 system that'd be pretty bangin.

bensone1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2007, 04:08 PM

Wonderfully awful sound reproduction, maybe. But if you meant wonderful as in good, no, sorry, they stink.
is it possible to not complain about what other people use?

just say what you have and what you think about your own speakers...

remember, different strokes for different folks

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 04:59 PM

bensone, it also depends on what you dow ith them. if you are the kind of person that just listens to listen, then of course the creature speakers would sound fine, hell even the soundsticks. if you have a trained ear like rob, me, and im sure other people on these forums, you wouldnt be able to stand listening to the above mentioned. when i use pro gear, i can tell the difference, when i went out and got the creature speakers because they were going for a good price, i literally had to return them because i couldnt stand the freq. response they produced. for me they sucked, for you, probably would be fine. enough said. to stay on topic: what speakers do YOU use?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2007, 05:35 PM

For the money ( $25 at Target) they are some of the best speakers around. The subwoofer does try to much to be heard, and the tweeters are a bit flat sometimes, but over-all, they are very good.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 4, 2007, 05:52 PM

I don't have a trained ear, btw... I'm not an audiophile, there's just a diff between mass produced plastic crap and real cabinets with real speakers... even a 15 watt receiver and a decent pair of $20 used speakers will destroy the creature thingies.

SLiMeX
Senior User
Feb 4, 2007, 06:43 PM

Logitec X-530 5.1 Surround Sound, baby!
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Drew
Feb 4, 2007, 09:58 PM

I don't use speakers for listening to music. When I want to listen to music, I use Skullcandy GI's. They look awesome and sound crazy good.

Skullcandy: Tunes, Phone, LINK TM

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 11:44 PM

Someone should hook one of these things up:

Link

Forum Links
Forum Rules