Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Migrate Office to new MBP ?

Migrate Office to new MBP ?
aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2008, 09:09 PM

I have Office 2008 Mac on 2 desktops and a MBP. How do I deactivate the one one my old MBP so I can activate it on the new one and sell the old MBP?

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

Cold Warrior
Oct 17, 2008, 09:12 PM

Office 2008 doesn't use activation. It listens for other copies of itself (same code based off of CD key) on the local network. It won't run if it detects unauthorized copies of itself on your LAN. Just delete it from your old MBP so its license doesn't get used.

aehaas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2008, 09:21 PM

The lic. says it only allows 3 activations.
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

Cold Warrior
Oct 17, 2008, 09:29 PM

Yes, but you have three keys on the packaging, right? Each key unlocks an installation, but each program doesn't check with Microsoft before it opens -- it only checks the local network. Delete it from your MBP (or simply don't use it) and install it on the new MBP with the CD key you used for the old one.

bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2008, 08:49 AM

I installed my third license on my new MB Thursday night. Did the two updates. THen Friday, while my college daughter was home for the weekend, I discovered that I must have used the key we used for her activation in August. (Of course, can I remember which one that was? Of course not.) So now I have to uninstall and reinstall. Machine is new, so it's not a big deal. Just kind of aggravating, particularly as I may make the same mistake over again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules