Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > EFI and SMC Updates

EFI and SMC Updates
aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2008, 10:03 PM

I just installed these, no glitches as yet. 'Just to let some know that there are no major mishaps on install, at least for me.

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2008, 12:44 AM

My once dead silent MBP now has somewhat rowdier fans.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2008, 09:59 AM

Oh, sorry to hear that, not updating here then. I wonder if that's aimed to prevent it from overheating, a friend had his MBP's CPU running so hot its display went to black… I guess Call Of Duty 4 makes for a good system tester. -laughs-

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2008, 10:14 AM

Installed it on my MB, works fine so far, heard a loud beeep when i started it up before it was installed...kinda freaked me out initially, but works fine so far.

Cheers

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2008, 10:34 AM

No problems noted for me.
~Mike

que_ball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2008, 03:34 PM

Updated my Macbook last night. No problem with the update. No extra fan noise on the MB.

I did notice that my computer is no longer draining the battery like it used to while in sleep mode. Last night I charged it fully and then unplugged it for the night. When I got up the battery was still at 95%. Before the update it would loose about 20% charge overnight.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2008, 06:21 PM

Good to hear.

Does anyone dual boot and does the EFI update change anything? I use refit currently..
Joe

tcphoto
Dec 11, 2008, 10:53 PM

I updated my new MBP and noticed the fans were going about 4000 RPM for a few seconds before going back to normal. The battery was at 97% before and jumped up to 100% after the update which struck me as funny. Perhaps I'll see a little better battery life with these two updates, let's cross our fingers.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2008, 11:01 PM

I always fear Apple firmware updates; there's no going back if Apple missed something ... and Apple's not too well known for good QA on their software.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2008, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I always fear Apple firmware updates; there's no going back if Apple missed something ... and Apple's not too well known for good QA on their software.
Nothing to fear though. Just sit back, relax, let others be the guinea pigs and read the reports. If nothing dramatic has come up after two weeks you can install. If not, you just wait for Apple to fix it.
( Last edited by Simon; Dec 14, 2008 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typo)

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2008, 02:31 PM

EFI via Software Update... all good.

I also found the SMC, downloaded, installed... all good.

Question: Why was the SMC not posted to Software Update?
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

hokie17
Dec 12, 2008, 10:47 PM

It was on Software Update, but only after installing the EFI and rebooting.
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2008, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by hokie17 View Post
Yep. Both installed on my MBP, and no problems so far. Unrelated note: the EFI updates(specifically, the loud tone that goes along with it) always freak me the f*** out.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2008, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Yep. Both installed on my MBP, and no problems so far. Unrelated note: the EFI updates(specifically, the loud tone that goes along with it) always freak me the f*** out.
lol, i freaked out too when i updated, i thought i f'ed something up, lol
MPB 2.8GHz, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD
2TB Raid 1 setup, Wacom 12x19, 24" ACD, Bose SS
FCS 2, Shake, Adobe CS4, Lightroom > Aperture

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Nothing to fear though. Just sit back, realax, let others be the guinea pigs and read the reports. If nothing dramatic has come up after two weeks you can install. If not, you just wait for Apple to fix it.
I suddenly had a vision of guinea pig farming! Now that that image has installed itself in my brain, I can't help but think that Apple is using technolust to train whole generations of guinea pigs! Guinea pigs as a client base, anyone?

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2008, 04:02 PM

EFI - concerningly long wait and an incredibly loud beep that scared the ... out of me!
SMC - never knew those tiny fans could make so much noise

Everything's fine on this end though The sleep issue was a hassle as it happened occasionally. Only experienced the trackpad issue once, but either way handy to have updates for both to resolve the only two issues I had.

perbl
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2008, 08:28 AM

What sleep issue? I installed these updates as the first thing I did when I received my new Macbook, but I still experience issues like the computer not waking from sleep when trying to wake it via my external bluetooth keyboard, as well as having experienced scrolling defects in the picture when I woke the computer up while connected to an external display.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by perbl View Post
What sleep issue? I installed these updates as the first thing I did when I received my new Macbook, but I still experience issues like the computer not waking from sleep when trying to wake it via my external bluetooth keyboard, as well as having experienced scrolling defects in the picture when I woke the computer up while connected to an external display.
The sleeping issue I experienced was the opposite. If I closed my MacBook and then unplugged say, my mouse receiver, the computer would wake up but the screen would stay off when the the MacBook was closed or open. Sometimes it would even repeat a wake/sleep every 20 seconds or so.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2008, 09:41 AM

The fact that it woke up has to do with the way it's designed. If you connect or disconnect a USB device to a sleeping MB(P) it will wake up. That's intentional behavior.

If you want to disconnect USB devices you have to do so before you sleep the MB(P), not after.
( Last edited by Simon; Dec 15, 2008 at 01:56 PM. Reason: typo)

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by hokie17 View Post
Well then, it must've been something buggy going on here. I wonder if Software Update didn't know that the EFI was installed, although the EFI updater said it installed correctly. Hmm.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules