Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Opening folders the hard way

Opening folders the hard way
plainfun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2009, 04:17 AM

I was just at the local computer shop looking at the new Imacs. I tried clicking on the hard disk, but it wouldn't open. Then I tried another folder and had the same problem. I called over the shop attendant to see if there was some trick about using the new mouse. He tried a number of times, but the best he could do was to get a box to pop up in which one of the options was "open". When he tried it on a Macbook, he had the same problem. He told me, "You no longer have the option of double clicking a folder on the new Macs. Opening a folder is now a two-step process--bring up the box, and then choose 'open' from the list of options." I seriously doubt he's was right about that--it would be a deal spoiler for me. I'd never, ever, buy a computer that didn't open files by just clicking them. It would add too much to my workload. Any comments?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2009, 04:20 AM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2009, 05:12 AM

Spam by troll?

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2009, 12:16 PM

I believe that you're supposed to purchase a Windoze machine and log in remotely to your Mac so that you can double-click to open.

Learned that from a Circuit City techie last year
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2009, 12:28 PM

Screenshot of the desktop, open in Preview ?

-t

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2009, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by plainfun View Post
I was just at the local computer shop looking at the new Imacs. I tried clicking on the hard disk, but it wouldn't open. Then I tried another folder and had the same problem. I called over the shop attendant to see if there was some trick about using the new mouse. He tried a number of times, but the best he could do was to get a box to pop up in which one of the options was "open". When he tried it on a Macbook, he had the same problem. He told me, "You no longer have the option of double clicking a folder on the new Macs. Opening a folder is now a two-step process--bring up the box, and then choose 'open' from the list of options." I seriously doubt he's was right about that--it would be a deal spoiler for me. I'd never, ever, buy a computer that didn't open files by just clicking them. It would add too much to my workload. Any comments?
Did you try hammer and chisel?

plainfun  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2009, 08:51 PM

Aside from derision, which neither of us needs, does anyone out there have anything to offer?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2009, 09:31 PM

Double-click the folder with the left mouse button instead of the right one.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2009, 10:33 PM

It's the other left button.

plainfun  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2009, 08:49 PM

In another forum someone pointed out that the clicking speed preference might have to be reset in 'keyboard and mouse preferences', but that the problem is more likely just that the store mice were low on charge. Clicking gets unreliable or stops altogether when the charge is low.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 08:52 PM

So you could move the mouse but couldn't click? How would this be a battery problem?

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 12, 2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by plainfun View Post
In another forum someone pointed out that the clicking speed preference might have to be reset in 'keyboard and mouse preferences', but that the problem is more likely just that the store mice were low on charge. Clicking gets unreliable or stops altogether when the charge is low.
As you said the problem could have been that the double clicking speed was set too high requiring a person to do a very rapid double clicking in order to execute a double click. Are you sure you were clicking on the left side of the mouse? Apple prefers a one button mouse but they at least acknowledge the popularity and customer demands for two buttons by allowing the right side of the mouse to function as the right click if you turn on that feature. It sounds like it was on because you got a dialog box like you would in Windows.

The reason why I'm telling you this is that new Mac users sometimes can become confused about the mouse button being actually two buttons because there are no physical divider lines. What also adds to the confusion is that you can turn off the right clicking feature and make the mouse function as one large button. Since you didn't mentioned anything about right clicking when you were describing your situation in your first post, I assumed you didn't realize this as well. If you try double clicking on the right side of the mouse you will not be able to do a left button double click which opens folders, etc.

For the record I'm not a big fan of Apple's Might Mouses. I prefer my Logitech mouse. If you didn't know you can use any USB mouse on Macs but keep in mind that if your mouse has a lot of additional fancy buttons you might need proper software drivers to get them work. My mouse is a basic optical Logitech two button mouse with scroll wheel so it works without any drivers on every Mac and Windows computer I have used it on. That's probably not an issue if you don't use your mouse on more than one computer.

iM@k
Senior User
Dec 12, 2009, 11:07 PM

What, me worry?

plainfun  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2009, 08:45 PM

Thanks for all the information. I had already tried right and left clicking. So must have been a clicking speed issue. Went back to the shop yesterday and had no trouble on either mac, so someone must have adjusted it.

Now will just need to worry about the serious screen issues people are reporting with the new 27-inch imacs. Word is it will take weeks for Apple to work them out.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2009, 09:31 PM

I thought you were going to say that you took the hard drive out of the case and peered at the platter with a microscope.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by iM@k View Post
That scene was a classic.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 19, 2009, 03:43 PM

What is that scene from?

Cold Warrior
Dec 19, 2009, 05:06 PM

the movie zoolander

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2009, 06:33 PM

Selecting an item and then invoking a menu command is the pure and original way: noun -> verb. Theoretically beautiful and solid, but for the oft-used 'Open' it was painfully clumsy in practice. Doubleclick was perhaps the first 'gestural' shortcut?

Forum Links
Forum Rules