Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is this bad?

Is this bad?
Lattimer
Aug 26, 2010, 11:38 PM

My iMac will boot, but at some point, either while booting or after I login, it displays the message in the attached pic. Is my HD corrupted? I tried to reinstall OSX, but it says there was an error and couldn't complete the install.....thoughts?

"God bless America. Let's save some of it." --Edward Abbey
More

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2010, 11:51 PM

I would first test your RAM before testing your hard drive. Do you know to run hardware tests?

Yes, that is bad if it reoccurs at regular intervals. That is called a kernel panic.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 12:08 AM

It's also bad from the standpoint that it's an anachronistic dump-to-the-screen style KP, which is virtually unknown today. In the rare event of a KP in modern versions of OS X, you get the attractive, translucent grey box on your screen saying that you must restart your computer, printed in multiple languages. The appearance of the text dump hints that it's an even more serious issue because the system can't even give you the relatively graceful KP.

What version of OS X are you running? If you're on a really old version like 10.1, what I wrote in the previous paragraph doesn't apply.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Lattimer  (op)
Aug 27, 2010, 12:50 AM

I believe I'm running 10.3...I've seen the translucent grey box a few times as well...I've even been able to get to the desktop and work for awhile before it goes nuts. If it goes to sleep, after awhile the fan kicks on high and stays that way until I pull the plug.

I've had the power supply replaced twice and the logic board replaced once on this thing. Never had a Mac give me so much trouble.

ARGH
"God bless America. Let's save some of it." --Edward Abbey
More

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 01:44 AM

If it is a bad stick of RAM (and that is fairly likely), it will be some relief to you that the fix is not terribly costly...

Forum Links
Forum Rules