Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > New Cocoa-based download manager

New Cocoa-based download manager
farb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2001, 11:42 AM

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a download manager written from the ground up in Cocoa. Here are the features I have implemented so far:

1. file transfers via HTTP (regular & authenticated), FTP & Hotline.
2. uses a download queue supporting auto-recovery and download resuming.
3. supports dragging & dropping of links from the browser to add to the queue.
4. supports pasteboard monitoring for URLs.
5. fully multi-threaded to support a configurable (or unlimited) number of simultaneous transfers via any supported protocols.
6. protocols are implemented in an extensible manner - there is an API that protocol handlers conform to.

I've got some ideas for what else to put in there, but I'm looking for any ideas that other people may have. What would YOU want in a Mac OS X download manager?

Also, if anyone is interested in helping me with some graphics work (application and toolbar icons), drop me a note: [email protected]. I can't pay for it, but I can give credit in the application

I haven't decided whether this will be shareware or freeware yet. I guess it all depends on how much more time I put into it.

Let's hear those ideas!

->Dan

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: farb ]

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2001, 07:35 PM

My requests are simple (I hope). All I want is for it to automatically handle any downloads when I click on them in IE. (I'm assuming this can be just done ads a helper?) And for the resume downloads feaure to actually work, all the time.

That's it!

Al the best

Jeremy

farb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2001, 08:15 PM

I haven't looked into integrating with IE yet, although it's something I'd like to go (is it documented anywhere?). As for download resumes always working, unfortunately, if the server doesn't support it there isn't much the client can do. The app will warn you before you start the actual download whether the server supports download resume or not.

eno
Banned
Oct 25, 2001, 08:29 PM

check out iGetter

that's your competition. They don't have Hotline capability but they've got FTP and HTTP implemented beautifully...

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2001, 09:46 AM

For icons - this guy is the state of the art for Mac OS X : http://www.pixelhaus.com/

He produced the World of Aqua collection - the best OS X icons ever. I dunno if he'd do it for free though, but you could always ask...

yukon
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2001, 02:39 PM

check out monica, more competition. uh, its on versiontracker (ziggy.speedhost.com?).

anyway, monica has lots of features. Thing like;

-alterable names for browser id
-hotline capability
-an "always make referrer the download site" thing icab doesn't get
-the "loaders", for hotline ftp and http. these help mass downloading of files, images, or whole web sites and servers

I use monica all the time. its written in realbasic though, and isn't as fast as it could be. the interface also sucks. If you can do everything monica can do, with a better interface etc, then i'm with you.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Scrod
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2001, 04:22 PM

How about a "download accelerator" option that simultaneously downloads and automatically merges multiple segments of the same file?
I abused my signature until she cried.

farb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2001, 05:05 PM

I've thought about the whole download acceleration thing, and I've chosen (at least for now) not to implement it. IMHO, it is bad netiquette. I've seen both sides of the argument, but I'm tending towards leaving it out.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2001, 06:52 PM

More competition: Download Deputy.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2001, 11:27 AM

Cookie support so you can download from places like MP3.com, iGetter says they are working to be the first mac Download manager to do so...

-Owl

farb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2001, 01:24 PM

Oooh, good idea. Hadn't thought of that one

electroJerm
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2001, 05:28 AM

How bout support for the FastTrack P2P standard? I know this is a longshot... but I've been waiting forever for some app to have this. The FastTrack concept is the system used to power Morpheus, Kazaa, and a number of other apps used by millions on PC's. Info on it can be found at http://www.fasttrack.nu Yes, there are arguments on both sides of this issue... I'm just putting my two cents in for a feature that I would love to see somewhere on something.
My name is Jeremy Cogan, and my thoughts are here: JeremyCogan.com

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2001, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by electroJerm:
<STRONG>How bout support for the FastTrack P2P standard? I know this is a longshot... but I've been waiting forever for some app to have this. The FastTrack concept is the system used to power Morpheus, Kazaa, and a number of other apps used by millions on PC's. Info on it can be found at http://www.fasttrack.nu Yes, there are arguments on both sides of this issue... I'm just putting my two cents in for a feature that I would love to see somewhere on something.</STRONG>
The problem with true P2P systems and queue-based download managers is that a P2P system is inherently dynamic in nature. Locations for things change all the time; what's there one minute may not be there the next. Because of that, they're not well-suited to a queue, where the URL you put into a queue isn't all that likely to be valid by the time its turn to be downloaded comes up.

Hotline, Carracho, KDX, and such break this rule because they aren't true P2P systems. There's still a notion of a "server" and a "client", and the servers tend to stay up for long periods of time, with file locations not changing much except to add new files.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Nov 5, 2001, 04:17 PM

Integration with IE as elegant as the integration GetRight has with IE on Windows, ie, it picks up on files by file extension not protocol. Dunno if this is possible or not on the Mac, but otherwise a download manager is too much hassle. :-)

Originally posted by farb:
<STRONG>I've got some ideas for what else to put in there, but I'm looking for any ideas that other people may have. What would YOU want in a Mac OS X download manager?</STRONG>

Forum Links
Forum Rules