Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Free Websites

Free Websites
electroJerm
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2002, 05:49 AM

Hi everyone...

I'm trying to put together a forum using the freely available Ikonboard CGI/perl stuff (www.ikonboard.com). My ISP won't run perl, so that leaves me with a few other options:

Tripod/Angelfire: will run CGI/perl stuff, but won't let me change the permissions on the files via FTP (I tried Transmit AND Interarchy and both gave me errors that "the command: Site is not permitted," whatever that is.

Geocities: won't run CGI/perl stuff

Freeservers: won't let you FTP without buying a "gold" account, which means I can't set the whole thing up.

AOL Hometown: Their FTP is as screwed up back when I tried it in 1997. After 4 years, you'd think they'd improve it, but I guess not.

So, anyone have any solutions? Any free services that I forgot about? Any tips?
My name is Jeremy Cogan, and my thoughts are here: JeremyCogan.com

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2002, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by electroJerm:
<STRONG>Hi everyone...

I'm trying to put together a forum using the freely available Ikonboard CGI/perl stuff (www.ikonboard.com). My ISP won't run perl, so that leaves me with a few other options:

Tripod/Angelfire: will run CGI/perl stuff, but won't let me change the permissions on the files via FTP (I tried Transmit AND Interarchy and both gave me errors that "the command: Site is not permitted," whatever that is.

Geocities: won't run CGI/perl stuff

Freeservers: won't let you FTP without buying a "gold" account, which means I can't set the whole thing up.

AOL Hometown: Their FTP is as screwed up back when I tried it in 1997. After 4 years, you'd think they'd improve it, but I guess not.

So, anyone have any solutions? Any free services that I forgot about? Any tips?</STRONG>
www.coolfreepages.com

You get PHP and SQL. I'm not sure if you get Perl, as I'm not interested in it, but check it out anyway.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules