Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Something wrong with TeamStats?

Something wrong with TeamStats?
beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2010, 12:44 PM

It looks as if April 29 was the last time the team stats was updated...

beadman

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2010, 09:34 AM

It appears as though the stats server has been offline since the 29th. There's still data coming in and going out, but no stats.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

reader50
Administrator
May 18, 2010, 01:45 PM

Sorry guys, I've been busy during evenings lately.

Looks like it's just SETI that is stuck. Repairing DB tables didn't find anything, so it's probably a format change on their end. I'll try to sort it out tonight.

reader50
Administrator
May 19, 2010, 04:20 AM

I do troubleshooting on my local system, then upload fixed files to the server. Since the last teamstats maintenance session, I updated my system to Leopard. While I carefully migrated the MySQL data folder, I skipped the rest of the MySQL folder tree. Which unfortunately includes the MySQL config file. And of course, my TM backups got restarted sometime since then due to an eSATA interface card swap.

It may prove necessary to reinstall my previous version of MySQL, then tweak a fresh config file. I'm also scavenging the Tiger drive, seeing if I can undelete the old MySQL folder. This may take awhile ...

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I do troubleshooting on my local system, then upload fixed files to the server. Since the last teamstats maintenance session, I updated my system to Leopard. While I carefully migrated the MySQL data folder, I skipped the rest of the MySQL folder tree. Which unfortunately includes the MySQL config file. And of course, my TM backups got restarted sometime since then due to an eSATA interface card swap.

It may prove necessary to reinstall my previous version of MySQL, then tweak a fresh config file. I'm also scavenging the Tiger drive, seeing if I can undelete the old MySQL folder. This may take awhile ...
Thanks for the update, and good luck!

beadman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2010, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the update - no immediate hurry, now that I know you're working on it... I assumed it was some glitch, but decided to see if anyone else had noticed...

beadman

reader50
Administrator
May 19, 2010, 06:52 PM

It's most likely a trivial change in the SETI stats pages. But I need to get my local copy working again in order to diagnose it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 03:30 PM

The sig server seems borked now.

More of a "heads-up" than anything resembling a complaint. I know you have a packed plate, and of course no one says anything the 364 days a year it's smooth sailing

reader50
Administrator
Jun 3, 2010, 04:39 PM

Actually, teamstats is unreachable. My ISP did some maintenance last night, which prompted me to reset my router. I've just reset the teamstats router - now we wait for DNS propagation to do it's thing.

Regarding my local development setup, I've reinstalled MySQL 4.x but haven't rebuilt a good config file yet. So the local copy still isn't working. Attempts to undelete the old files on the Tiger partition haven't worked out so far either. More attention as time allows.

Edit: looks like the router reset took care of it. Sigs are back up.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 09:20 PM

Awesome!

Thank you!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2010, 10:04 PM

Thanks Reader50!

reader50
Administrator
Jul 4, 2010, 11:17 PM

This turned into a bang-head-on-wall project over assorted weekends. Getting my local copy running again proved harder than I'd ever thought it would be.

teamstats code is incompatible with Leopard's PHP5 without massive rewrites of variable declarations.
Leopard's PHP5 refuses to connect to older MySQL versions.
MySQL config file had been lost.
MySQL user privs table got corrupted somehow, including my oldest time machine copy.
MySQL needs specific write permissions to update anything.
PHPmyAdmin refused to work for multiple reasons above.

Many of these problems masked each other, resulting in deceptive error messages. After making minimal progress under Leopard / PHP5 / various MySQL versions / various phpmyadmin versions, I rebuilt my Tiger + PHP4 setup. Once phpmyadmin was running again there, everything fell into place easily.

After all the adventures, the SETI problem was a trivial HTML change in their server status page. 3 lines edited in a singe file, and SETI stats should be working again. It may take a few hours for fresh data to appear, as the cron scripts get to it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2010, 01:55 PM

I think the sig server be acting up again.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 26, 2010, 09:58 PM

I've been tied up with a training conference this week. Looks like there was a power failure while I was gone today. It's back up now.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 04:25 AM

Thank you muchly!

beadman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2010, 04:27 PM

Haven't been on the forum for a while. Thanks for all your work on getting this working again, Reader50!

beadman

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2010, 07:47 AM

Sorry to be a pain in the ass first thing in the morning, but she's choked again.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 29, 2010, 01:22 PM

Working on it. I let the HD space run out, due to unpruned logfiles, and unpruned graph files. Amazing how many can stick around after 5 years without a cleaning. I tend to wipe the logfiles every 6 months to a year, but let the graph files accumulate so much that the folders are hard to open.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2010, 05:54 PM

Thank you much!

reader50
Administrator
Oct 29, 2010, 06:08 PM

Actually, I think those folders purge older graphs once per day. We may be being trawled by a web spider, ignoring the robots.txt file. I'd better check it tonight and tomorrow just in case.

One of the SETI graph folders was 8.9 MB (the directory itself, not the contained files), and almost impossible to open. When it finally opened, I took a screen shot. 213,647 files. Projecting from the average file size suggests the folder had close to 1 GB in it. I had to use the command line to delete the folder, then recreate it. rm wouldn't handle that many files from within the folder.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2010, 05:49 AM

Mommy and daddy spider are pissed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules