Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Problem with Intel Mac running

Problem with Intel Mac running
beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2006, 07:03 PM

I've been successfully running BOINC 5.4.9 with the latest SETI and Einstein workers for the last three weeks. Today, for no reason I can figure out, it suddenly stopped responding - spinning rainbow pizza. I downloaded a fresh copy of BOINC Manager for Intel Mac, threw away the old one, installed the new one, and it still won't run. BOINC Manager starts up, then the spinning rainbow appears and won't go away until I kill BOINC. Activity Monitor shows BOINC Manager as not responding. This computer is a 2.0 GHz MacBook Pro, 2 GHz RAM, OS X 10.4.6.

Any help appreciated.
beadman
<edit> Never mind... rebooting fixed the problem. I apparently hadn't rebooted for a couple of weeks... </edit>
( Last edited by beadman; Jun 22, 2006 at 07:22 PM. )

Billy
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by beadman
I've been successfully running BOINC 5.4.9 with the latest SETI and Einstein workers for the last three weeks. Today, for no reason I can figure out, it suddenly stopped responding - spinning rainbow pizza. I downloaded a fresh copy of BOINC Manager for Intel Mac, threw away the old one, installed the new one, and it still won't run. BOINC Manager starts up, then the spinning rainbow appears and won't go away until I kill BOINC. Activity Monitor shows BOINC Manager as not responding. This computer is a 2.0 GHz MacBook Pro, 2 GHz RAM, OS X 10.4.6.

Any help appreciated.
beadman
<edit> Never mind... rebooting fixed the problem. I apparently hadn't rebooted for a couple of weeks... </edit>
I know what you mean. With system 9 being my last OS, I forgot that rebooting was an option for solving problems. I am using standard Boinc and getting very good results with Seti, Einstein, and Rosetta. Also it is very good with OGR at Distributed.net. I don't seem to need to use Optimized clients or workers. I did notice that with my last upgrade in Boinc that I can't Copy and Paste to join a project. And I find that I can't quit Boinc and keep the projects running. I have to hide it instead.

Billy

zombie67
Senior User
Jun 22, 2006, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by beadman

Any help appreciated.
beadman
Hmmm. You shouldn't need to reboot. This isn't windows afterall. I have machines that have been run for several months. The only time I normally reboot is when Apple updates force me to.

Erik

Forum Links
Forum Rules