Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Help with very important Automator actions

Help with very important Automator actions
jasong
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2007, 11:36 PM

Hi, so a friend of mine (yeah, that's the ticket, a friend) had this hard drive that wasn't backed up and of course it crashed. Using Data Rescue II I was able to rip most of the data off the drive, but I have ended up with a series of folders for images without any meaningful file names. The software created a folder (or folders) for each type of image (JPEG, GIF, EPS, TIFF, etc.) and inside each folder are hundreds or thousands of images with numbers for file names. Also included in the file name is the pixel size of the image so I will have an image named say J2048x3072-00896.jpg. Compounding the problem is that many of these images are duplicated or triplicated, or worse (one file had 25 exact duplicates recovered). The metadata for the images is intact however, so choosing Get Info in Preview shows me the correct date the picture was taken, the camera used, the copyright in the cases where one was added, etc.. So I have been trying to concoct ways of making Automator do the work for me, but I don't know Automator very well.

I have downloaded an action that checks the MD5 checksum, and I was thinking that there must be some way to use that to sort out the duplicate images since the duplicates have the same MD5 Checksum. Can someone show me how to write an action that would scan a folder, move the first instance of a checksum in a folder Original and then subsequent images with the same checksum into a folder called Duplicates? If it could scan nested folders that would be awesome, but not strictly necessary. If that's not possible, then an action that moves all matching copies into a single folder would do the trick since each file is uniquely named and I could just take the first image in each folder and ignore the rest.

After that, I would like to get a script that would sort the images based on their pixel size so I can quickly discard thumbnails.

The last one might be pushing it, but if someone can do this, then I can not worry about the previous two actions. Can someone write an Automator action that will go back in time one week and prompt me to run the backup at 10am instead of waiting for 10pm since the drive crashed at 6:40pm?

If anyone can help, I (I mean my friend) would really appreciate it.
-- Jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules