Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 4 Beta

Safari 4 Beta (Page 2)
TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I can’t get Top Sites to add one of my sites… I tried loading that site like 30 times, and it still won’t show up. Is there any way to manually add a URL to Top Sites?
Put Top Sites into Edit mode then drag the site from the site icon in the URL field of another window into the Top Sites area. Pin it if you want it to stay.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2009, 03:39 PM

The blue loading bar is gone.

manfreds
Feb 24, 2009, 03:47 PM

Here is a mockup I made back in 2002:

I'm happy to see it implemented in two browsers now.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2009, 04:23 PM

Seems nice and snappy, 50/50 on the new top tabs. Colours seem substantially washed out compared to FF3 and S3 on my MBP 15"

milhouse
Senior User
Feb 24, 2009, 04:36 PM

Do. Not. Like.

While S4 is pretty and is fast, the list of useful features, present on Firefox and still missing on Safari is long.

For example, it's still missing crash protection/sessionrestore/preferences, the ability to automatically clear/reset the search bar area, the ability to add search engines to the search bar, the ability to change the way links, bookmarks or searches (etc) open in new tabs/same window/new window, etc.

In some ways, I find the UI regressive. Take "top sites" thumbnail view for example. How is a huge page of thumbnails that I need to mouse over to get any useful, descriptive information and that no one can read, more useful than a list (clear descriptions) of the same sites?

I'm glad so many people are pleased but I had to uninstall it.

Maybe I'll reinstall it again in the future and give it another shot.
"-Dodge This"

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2009, 04:42 PM

Unable to install on a Macbook Air. Really?

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2009, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Technicolor View Post
Try again. I got it loaded on my Macbook Air without a problem.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2009, 04:52 PM

Really really? Its installed on my white MacBook 2.16 GMA950, and my G4 PowerMac at work... not installing on an Air sounds odd.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2009, 04:53 PM

Requires any Mac running Security Update 2009-001 and Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6. Meet that?
Vandelay Industries

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2009, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Actually I'm gonna say cover flow in Safari makes more sense than iTunes or the Finder. See there's lots of times I wanna find a web page I was viewing but the header for the site is pretty standard like "Super awesome site about something" so my history looks like

Super awesome site about something
MacNN
Slashdot.org news for nerds

So which of those Super awesome site about something do I want to view? Well they're actually all different pages and I certainly don't remember the URL but they all looked different.

Thus I think cover flow is a good idea for once.
Very true, nice. I was trying to find a way to switch to classic view. Don't think I should now.

Originally Posted by Naplander View Post
Has anyone figured out yet how to remove the 'recent searches' from the Google search bar??
Nope. Kinda confused.

Originally Posted by Radioflyer View Post
But the refresh button is no longer available
It's there. Next to the RSS button in the address bar.

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
Can't deal w/ the new tabs, blah. Went back to 3.2.1, and yes it does automatically reinstall your previous version when you uninstall 4.
Good to know.

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
BTW, not sure if you're as slow as I am, but it took me an hour or two to realize where the reload and stop button has gone to.
Took me about 5 seconds after I realized the refresh wasn't there and couldn't be added through customization.

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Indeed.

EDIT: It'll run on Tiger as well, 10.4.11

Quite surprised it runs on my G4 iBook, and nicely too. The scrolling is loads better. Interested in trying it on my Windows box now!
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Sage
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Put Top Sites into Edit mode then drag the site from the site icon in the URL field of another window into the Top Sites area.
Ah, so that’s the trick (I was trying every other method of dragging into the Top Sites) – thanks!

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2009, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Requires any Mac running Security Update 2009-001 and Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6. Meet that?
Yep. 10.5.6. Software update says I'm all up to date.

I get the following error:
"You cannot install Safari on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

I'm guessing it has to do with this little morsel of the system requirements: "Mac with an Intel processor or a Power PC G5, G4, or G3 processor and built-in FireWire"

What the availability of a Firewire port has to do with a web browser is beyond me.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2009, 05:07 PM

And you have Security Update 2009-001?

Also "Mac with an Intel processor or a Power PC G5, G4, or G3 processor and built-in FireWire" is meant to mean a G3 with Firewire and above.
Vandelay Industries

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2009, 05:08 PM

I'm guessing it has to do with this little morsel of the system requirements: "Mac with an Intel processor or a Power PC G5, G4, or G3 processor and built-in FireWire"
I assume that is a typo on Apple's part because if it isn't they are truly on some BullSh!t.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2009, 05:17 PM

I couldn't get Top Sites to show up at all, but that was on a Windows box. Haven't installed it on any Macs yet, 'cause I really like Glims' search engine shortcuts.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2009, 05:19 PM

Yep. 10.5.6. Software update says I'm all up to date.
I'm guessing it has to do with this little morsel of the system requirements: "Mac wth an Intel processor or a Power PC G5, G4, or G3 processor and built-in FireWire"
definitely a "G3 w/firewire" thing; works beautifully here on my (sadly firewire-less) macbook...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2009, 05:20 PM

Installed Safari 4. It promptly hosed all webkit-based programs' access to the internet. And I can't get it back. W.T.F. Really pissed off.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2009, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Installed Safari 4. It promptly hosed all webkit-based programs' access to the internet. And I can't get it back. W.T.F. Really pissed off.
Webkit is working fine for me in conjunction with Safari 4.. Are you on a fairly recent webkit?

Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2009, 05:46 PM

Not Webkit nightlies. Webkit the framework. As in all programs that use Webkit have no internet connection.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2009, 05:46 PM

Needs three-finger down to bottom of a page and three-finger up to top of a page. But I am liking it, a lot more space compared to even my customized firefox! Lack of an adblock is annoying - does one exist?

<-- potential migrator

ibook_steve
Feb 24, 2009, 05:51 PM

Anybody trying Safari behind a corporate firewall having any problems with the Windows version? Safari 4 is screwing up the authentication and won't let me fix it (no login/PW dialog appears) which then proceeds to lock me out of my connection, requiring a call to my Help desk!

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2009, 05:51 PM

I do miss the blue bar.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by kylef View Post
Needs three-finger down to bottom of a page and three-finger up to top of a page. But I am liking it, a lot more space compared to even my customized firefox! Lack of an adblock is annoying - does one exist?

<-- potential migrator
adsubtract.css still works here.

anyone: how do i clear google searches??...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

ibook_steve
Feb 24, 2009, 05:53 PM

And while we're at it, why does OS X require a restart to install this and Windows doesn't?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN

OAW
Addicted to MacNN

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Put Top Sites into Edit mode then drag the site from the site icon in the URL field of another window into the Top Sites area. Pin it if you want it to stay.
Do such changes persist for you AFTER you restart the browser? They certainly don't for me. Just looking for suggestions ...

OAW

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2009, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
And while we're at it, why does OS X require a restart to install this and Windows doesn't?
Because on Windows Safari is the only program that uses WebKit and on Mac OS X it isn't.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2009, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post

Steve
Because OS X has WebKit as a systemwide framework, while it's just a component of Safari on Windows.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2009, 06:10 PM

You can get it back with the following Terminal commands:

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4IncludeToolbarRedesign -bool NO

This one reverts back to the old tool bar.

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4LoadProgressStyle -bool NO

This one uses the old Progress Bar indicator in the address field. If you say YES it uses a Pie Chart progress indicator where the favicon is instead.

There doesn't appear to be any way to get either of these indicators to appear with the redesigned Toolbar, hence, you have to disable that with the first preference setting.

OAW

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2009, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Do such changes persist for you AFTER you restart the browser? They certainly don't for me. Just looking for suggestions ...

OAW
They do for me.

Though I still can't figure out how to clear Google search box entries. And (though none of you care, I'm sure) RuneScape is pretty much hosed in HD mode. It zooms in way too far and the buttons are all offset. Fullscreen still works at least, if you can manage to click it...

And shut up. I like RuneScape. I could play it for years while WoW and the like were off limits because of my Internet. It's grown on me.

EDIT: I don't mind the blue loading bar being gone, but as for some new blue, what's up with the blue/white stars on certain web pages while in Top Site view?

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2009, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
And you have Security Update 2009-001?
If you aren't running the required security update then the error message says that the update is not installed.

It doesn't generate a generic error message in this case.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
They do for me.
That's odd. I keep adding Google News to Top Sites manually and pinning it and it simply won't stay put across a browser restart. The only thing I can think of is that:

A) Changes only work if you are dealing with a URL that Safari considers to be your "most frequently visited".

B) Changes only work if you have not previously deleted the URL from Top Sites.

If it's A then that's a design flaw IMO. If it's B then it's a bug that will probably get fixed.

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
EDIT: I don't mind the blue loading bar being gone, but as for some new blue, what's up with the blue/white stars on certain web pages while in Top Site view?
These indicate a Top Site whose content has changed.

OAW

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2009, 06:25 PM

To delete the saved searches, you need to delete the Google cookie.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2009, 06:45 PM

That's not something I'm willing to do each time I want to clear searches. They just need to bring back the clear option from Safari 3.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2009, 07:13 PM

That's odd. I keep adding Google News to Top Sites manually and pinning it and it simply won't stay put across a browser restart. The only thing I can think of is that:

A) Changes only work if you are dealing with a URL that Safari considers to be your "most frequently visited".

B) Changes only work if you have not previously deleted the URL from Top Sites.

If it's A then that's a design flaw IMO. If it's B then it's a bug that will probably get fixed.

OAW
Ok I think I figured this thing out. Safari stores your Top Sites in the following preference file:

~/Library/Safari/TopSites.plist

I trashed this file and restarted Safari. Top Sites was back to the "most frequently visited" default setting. I then organized it the way I wanted to and pinned everything. This time when I restarted Safari the changes I made to Top Sites actually persisted.

Now what I did differently was NOT to click the X button on any Top Site entry to get rid of the ones I didn't want. I just added new ones and the ones I didn't want eventually got pushed off the screen. This may have something to do with the string TopSites_BannedURLStrings that I found at the beginning of the plist file. I'm surmising that Safari will check for any URLs that are in this section first before going on to the sites that you have pinned. Bad design IMO since deleting a URL from Top Sites ... either intentionally or by accident ... will cause it to ignore you attempts to pin it later. In any event, I hope this helps anyone else out there that's been struggling with this issue.

OAW

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2009, 07:29 PM

Several thumbs up: wicked fast and much less of a processor hog.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2009, 07:40 PM

That sounds like a bug in the top sites feature. It would probably be good to report it to Apple.
Chuck
___

bokehphotographer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Actually I'm gonna say cover flow in Safari makes more sense than iTunes or the Finder. See there's lots of times I wanna find a web page I was viewing but the header for the site is pretty standard like "Super awesome site about something" so my history looks like

MacNN
Slashdot.org news for nerds

So which of those Super awesome site about something do I want to view? Well they're actually all different pages and I certainly don't remember the URL but they all looked different.

Thus I think cover flow is a good idea for once.

As for the windows version I gotta say Safari feels a lot better on WIndows now, though I can't see where exactly I get cover flow or the top sites features working... kinda wonder if those are gonna be Mac only or something. It looks much better as a windows App, though to be honest it's pretty much a clone of Google's Chrome.
I would have to agree. I like the coverflow here - as it offers a lot more information in your history. Also, on my windows machine at work, it feels a lot more at home than 3.xx. And it did feel very chromish. But I like the topsites implementation, even if it is just eye candy...

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2009, 08:27 PM

Safari 4 is pretty slick. I'm a bit ambivalent about the "tabs on top" feature. I understand the point is to free up even more space by making use of the title bar space and eliminating separate tab bar. And it does that. I guess I'm so accustomed to Safari having tabs underneath it's still a bit odd to me. The Top Sites feature looks great but I don't think I'll use it much unless they change it. I don't like how the only option is to have Safari decide what goes on the page. There needs to be an option for the user to specify his/her own favorite sites and not just blindly go by page visit frequency. I did figure out that you can drag a bookmark onto one of the thumbnails and it will stay put for the remainder of that session. But once you restart the browser Safari will just eliminate it and put whatever it wants to put up there. I for one use WebKit and I see no point in wasting one of the spaces with the "Thank you for using WebKit!" page that is always displayed when you first fire it up. Other than that, it's a nice little upgrade.

OAW
Hi OWA,
I agree with you entirely ....
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2009, 08:33 PM

Ok I think I figured this thing out. Safari stores your Top Sites in the following preference file:

~/Library/Safari/TopSites.plist

I trashed this file and restarted Safari. Top Sites was back to the "most frequently visited" default setting. I then organized it the way I wanted to and pinned everything. This time when I restarted Safari the changes I made to Top Sites actually persisted.

Now what I did differently was NOT to click the X button on any Top Site entry to get rid of the ones I didn't want. I just added new ones and the ones I didn't want eventually got pushed off the screen. This may have something to do with the string TopSites_BannedURLStrings that I found at the beginning of the plist file. I'm surmising that Safari will check for any URLs that are in this section first before going on to the sites that you have pinned. Bad design IMO since deleting a URL from Top Sites ... either intentionally or by accident ... will cause it to ignore you attempts to pin it later. In any event, I hope this helps anyone else out there that's been struggling with this issue.

OAW
They stay pinned across sessions for me and I've deleted all sorts of 'top sites' before I found out I could drag in my own.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2009, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
just click on the upper right of a tab [to rearrange tabs]...
Oh.

That's wonderful. What in the **** possessed them to not only destroy the standard window layout by dumping the tabs in there (that will also dynamically resize depending on what you click - you'd think that even the last moron within Apple had got the memo about moving targets), but to use the same interface element that has meant "RESIZE THIS" for the past twenty-five years to now indicate that something can be MOVED!???

Jeezus ****in' H. Christ.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2009, 08:50 PM

Yeah, this tab implementation is FUBAR. Try opening a second window with tabs and it's even more confusing to look at.
Chuck
___

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2009, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
If you aren't running the required security update then the error message says that the update is not installed.
… assuming the error message has been properly translated. First time I tried to install the Beta on my MacBook (logged in as my regular user, i.e., with OS X set up in Danish), I got this highly informative message:

When I switched to a user profile set up in English, it gave me the proper error message. (It was actually a fluke that I switched at all—I just wanted to check if it would install from a vanilla account, and the only other account I had on the machine was the English one that I occasionally use if I want to make sure I get the name of some menu item right in English. If I’d had a second, vanilla, account that was also in Danish, I’d probably just have switched to that one, and I’d never have found out why it wouldn’t install.)

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2009, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Yeah, this tab implementation is FUBAR. Try opening a second window with tabs and it's even more confusing to look at.
You think they're aiming for a one-window browsing experience?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2009, 10:05 PM

I'm on it now. Liked the welcome to safari 4 intro. So far it just seems like regular safari minus the "top sites" thing. Still need to stress test this thing.

HowEver
Feb 24, 2009, 10:09 PM

I had to delete "ConciergeLoader" from harddrive/Library/InputManagers to get Safari 4 for Leopard to work.

Hope this helps someone else, it took me a while to figure this out.

Cold Warrior
Feb 24, 2009, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by HowEver View Post
I had to delete "ConciergeLoader" from harddrive/Library/InputManagers to get Safari 4 for Leopard to work.

Hope this helps someone else, it took me a while to figure this out.
InputManagers should always be the first stop when troubleshooting Safari.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2009, 10:24 PM

Why did they remove the blue page progress indicator bar? it's still in the "features" page but I can't seem to see it... I have seen a hack to enable it, but it messes up the new bar

Here is how to get it back...
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....055496#9055496

Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2009, 10:26 PM

I'm pretty sure that was just an oversight.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Oh.

That's wonderful. What in the **** possessed them to not only destroy the standard window layout by dumping the tabs in there (that will also dynamically resize depending on what you click - you'd think that even the last moron within Apple had got the memo about moving targets), but to use the same interface element that has meant "RESIZE THIS" for the past twenty-five years to now indicate that something can be MOVED!???

Jeezus ****in' H. Christ.
One word:

Goosefrabba

(Of course, my spelling may be off.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules