Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How to buy a gun?

How to buy a gun?
bstone
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2011, 02:54 PM

I recently was issued a CCW by my local police department. I got it for two reasons 1) safety of myself and 2) safety of others. I was carjacked at gunpoint a few months ago, which got me thinking about getting a gun so I took the class, filled out the paperwork, got fingerprinted, got references, had a backround check, paid the fees and was issued a CCW.

The reason why this is becoming important is thus- I got a call from the DA's office yesterday who informed me that there is a good chance a guy who I got arrested is being let out of jail on probation. He's been locked up for just over a year because he beat his wife and tried to kill his child. She called me when it happened, I called the cops and he got arrested. He's had a year to dwell on this and I have little doubt that jail has done much to remove the anger from him. I honestly am afraid of him coming to exact revenge and he is capable of a lot of evil.

SO....now that I have a CCW how do I buy a gun? If I go to a gun store are the prices negotiable? Should I haggle? Are they fixed and set? If you have any experience I would really enjoy to hear.

PLEASE- do NOT discuss the merits of gun ownership or not. I think that is best suited for the political lounge.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2011, 03:29 PM

If you're buying a new gun at a chain retailer, prices aren't negotiable as you'd expect, but it's also pretty easy to find sales. I have no idea what chains you have in Chicago, but just take a look around. It's not like buying a car, the salesmen will make recommendations based on your budget and experience, etc. If you're looking for a used gun, there is generally some wiggle room there.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 4, 2011, 03:30 PM

I am sorry, but I have no experience with how to buy a gun.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2011, 03:30 PM

Are you in Chicago ?

Problem is, in IL, you can't even carry a loaded gun around, not even in your car.
When carrying a weapon outside of your home, it needs to be unloaded, and the ammunition kept separate from the gun.
Really not ideal if you have to protect yourself, because loading the gun will take a moment.

-t

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Are you in Chicago ?

Problem is, in IL, you can't even carry a loaded gun around, not even in your car.
When carrying a weapon outside of your home, it needs to be unloaded, and the ammunition kept separate from the gun.
Really not ideal if you have to protect yourself, because loading the gun will take a moment.

-t
No. I am in MA. I have a concealed weapons permit.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Are you in Chicago ?

California has the exact same law, except it doesn't apply to shotguns and muzzle loading rifles.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Oh that's ok! I don't have any experience either.

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Feb 4, 2011, 03:48 PM

Do you have any idea of what type of gun you want to purchase? Revolver or semi-auto? Caliber? Barrel length? Make and model?

The point is that, while the folks at the gun store can make recommendations for you, they aren't you. I would no sooner expect someone who doesn't know what they want to be sold the perfect gun by the folks at the gun store, than a beginning guitar player to be sold the correct guitar by the folks at the music store. If you have the time, I strongly suggest you do some research to answer the above question before purchasing.

Some gun ranges have guns that are available for rent while at the range. You might have the opportunity to field test a few models that way.

Also, as with many other consumer goods, your haggle room increases with the list price of the weapon.

Good luck.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2011, 03:52 PM

I am thinking a glock 22 pistol.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 4, 2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2011, 04:04 PM

Glock 33 is a subcompact. Might be less cumbersome. I read that on wikipedia, I don't know anything about guns.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Glock 33 is a subcompact. Might be less cumbersome.
Oh, that's interesting. I'll look for that.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2011, 04:08 PM

I edited while you replied. I don't know much about guns, I was just reading about the different versions of the Glock. Looks cool, anyway.

Thorzdad
Feb 4, 2011, 04:16 PM

Before you buy anything, you should take shooting lessons. This will (hopefully) achieve two things...
1. Assure that you know how to safely use and keep a gun.
2. Allow you to test a few different models to find something that you are comfortable with.

Do you have any friends who know guns? If so, they can help you select a weapon. Gun shows can be a good place to find deals, too.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Before you buy anything, you should take shooting lessons. This will (hopefully) achieve two things...
1. Assure that you know how to safely use and keep a gun.
2. Allow you to test a few different models to find something that you are comfortable with.

Do you have any friends who know guns? If so, they can help you select a weapon. Gun shows can be a good place to find deals, too.
1. I have taken the class. Shooting lessons were included, as were safe use.

2. I think a Glock 22 or subcompact.

I am curious to know HOW to buy a gun. Is there negotiation? Haggling? Gun shows? Internet? I just don't know HOW.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2011, 04:19 PM

I have a Glock 33. Love it. Did you read what I posted?

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I have a Glock 33. Love it.
Do you carry it with you? With this maniac being released into society I fear I may have to carry it everywhere. His condo is a 2 minute walk from me. Is it bulky? Sticks out? How many bullets in the cartridge?

andi*pandi
Feb 4, 2011, 04:24 PM

Surprised there weren't flyers and such for local gun shops at the class.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2011, 04:25 PM

No, I keep it in my locked glovebox in my car. I only carry it with me when I'm up in the mountains. If you're wearing a downy winter coat it'll fit right in a pocket or holster without bulging much. It weighs around 20 oz, light enough to not bother you, but you'll always remember you have it on you. The standard cartridge has 9 shells.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Surprised there weren't flyers and such for local gun shops at the class.
It was done at a local gun shop with a range in the basement. I just don't know what the protocol for going in and purchasing a gun is as I've never done it before. Does one negotiate the price? Haggle? Ask for extras? How?

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
No, I keep it in my locked glovebox in my car. I only carry it with me when I'm up in the mountains. If you're wearing a downy winter coat it'll fit right in a pocket or holster without bulging much. It weighs around 20 oz, light enough to not bother you, but you'll always remember you have it on you. The standard cartridge has 9 shells.
This is very good information. Where did you buy it and for how much?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2011, 04:27 PM

Like I said if it's a chain or popular gun store, you're not going to be able to haggle. If you walk in and ask intelligent questions, they'll answer them. Gun shop workers are always very respectful and will do their best to help you out. Don't be afraid to say it's your first gun, you don't have to act like a Camaro-driving murderer.

Edit: I got it at a sale in a business in Washington State that was going out of business a couple years ago. They normally run for about $450, I think I got mine for $275. I've seen them on sale for $400 before.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2011, 04:29 PM

There are two schools of thought. 9mm supersonic rounds which will go right through you, leaving small holes or 45's which are subsonic chunks of lead that knock you down, take the wind out of you and make big ugly holes and don't usually exit on the other side. Unless you are prepared to kill someone if you have to, guns may not be the answer. You may hit a large person 2-5 times with supersonic rounds and not bring them down, but hitting someone with 2-3 45's makes about a 90 percent chance he's dead.

Go to a gun store and handle several types of guns to see what feels right to you. I have a Springfield Armory XD45ACP which holds 10 rounds in the clip.

andi*pandi
Feb 4, 2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
It was done at a local gun shop with a range in the basement. I just don't know what the protocol for going in and purchasing a gun is as I've never done it before. Does one negotiate the price? Haggle? Ask for extras? How?
I have no idea, the only guns my family have owned are my dad's, and his dad's, and I bet they got them at the Service Merchandise.

I'd do a lot of shopping, both at the shop with the class and other shops around. Whatever you find out, post back and let us know.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
There are two schools of thought. 9mm supersonic rounds which will go right through you, leaving small holes or 45's which are subsonic chunks of lead that knock you down, take the wind out of you and make big ugly holes and don't usually exit on the other side. Unless you are prepared to kill someone if you have to, guns may not be the answer. You may hit a large person 2-5 times with supersonic rounds and not bring them down, but hitting someone with 2-3 45's makes about a 90 percent chance he's dead.

Go to a gun store and handle several types of guns to see what feels right to you. I have a Springfield Armory XD45ACP which holds 10 rounds in the clip.
Nod. Good information. I have heard this idea that smaller rounds leave small injuries and the person is still battle-effective. I think just pulling out a gun would be enough to get him to back off, but he has already tried to kill someone (a 5 y/o girl) so it's possible I'll have to use something that will be more effective at stopping him.

-Q-
Feb 4, 2011, 04:35 PM

While you can shop over the internet, you will have to find a licensed gun shop (or other facility) with a Federal Firearms License near you to have the gun shipped as you cannot have it delivered to your home. That local shop will most likely charge you a service fee which may or may not eat up any savings found by shopping online.

Secondly, you don't get a chance to handle the weapon and determine feel. I think the suggestions for finding a shooting range where you can rent/borrow a weapon are your best bet for finding a weapon that feels right to you. If you'll be carrying the gun at all times, definitely investigate multiple makes and models - the weight will likely be the deciding factor if it's holstered to your belt all day.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2011, 04:44 PM

Welcome to the 2nd Amendment club, bro. Nice accomplishment getting a CCW. I agree that for optimal results you'll want to actually do some shooting with a model you're considering before you get it. I'm much more accurate with some guns than others.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Welcome to the club, bro. Nice accomplishment getting a CCW.
Why thank you.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 4, 2011, 05:14 PM

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2011, 08:14 PM

Please cite your sources.
You're not helping your case. An XD does NOT have a clip. It has a magazine. The two words are not interchangeable.

My vote? The one that fits your hand the best and is easiest for YOU to shoot. For me, it's a Glock 19. The Glock 22 mentioned above is a full size pistol and not the easiest to conceal.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2011, 08:26 PM

Don't forget the shell catcher, silencer, infrared laser sight, and night vision goggles. You know, for hunting.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2011, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
Logically,
bigger bullet = bigger damage
smaller bullet = smaller damage

Unless of course, the smaller bullet hits the heart, or the *head

*I've heard stories of smaller mm bullets ricocheting off the skull, and leaving a scrape.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 4, 2011, 09:47 PM

How to... It's kind of involved, depending on where you buy.

Gun shows offer a number of advantages. Dealers there already have extra costs invested in getting their wares to the show, and really like having fewer to pack up at the end. There is also competition all around, and the more knowledgeable among them set their prices accordingly. They are also more amenable to negotiation than at their brick-and-mortar stores. Wander around the show and take note of who has what you're interested in and for what prices. Also notice who has "kits" that include extras like additional magazines, holsters, etc.

Wherever you do decide to buy, the process of buying a firearm, particularly a handgun, starts with concluding the deal. Once that's done, the dealer will sit you down with a rather lengthy form that you must fill out-and you'll get very detailed instructions on how to properly complete the the ATF Form 4473, because errors hurt the dealer. After that comes the National Instant Criminal Background System or NICS check. Some states waive this for concealed carry holders, but probably not MA.

The check is initiated via telephone; the dealer or their representative calls a toll free phone number and reads off specific information from the 4473 and your personal identification. In many cases the results are immediate, but not always. There are a few situations that require a delay of the sale for NICS to verify information, and the dealer will inform you about such things if they happen. Unlikely in your case (due to your state license) is a flat denial-which can be appealed if the prospective purchaser believes it's based on faulty information.

Once validated through NICS, you hand the money/credit card/check to the dealer, the dealer finishes the bill of sale, hands you the firearm, and shakes your hand. I've always found the process kind of interesting.

As for the various discussions above, ANY properly placed traumatic wound can stop an assailant. The tradeoff between caliber and velocity are only a couple of issues to consider. You've mentioned the Glock 22, which is in .40 S&W caliber. The .40 is a very good compromise between 9mm and .45 Auto; it's heftier than the 9, less "challenging" to control than the .45, and there are a variety of commercially available self-defense rounds available with some significant ability to stop attackers with less reliance on precise placement.

Be advised though, that the Glock 22 is a "full size" pistol, meaning that it best fits fairly large hands. You might be better off with a Glock 23, which is a more compact version (shorter grip that is slightly smaller in girth). Also, the newest series of Glocks offer a system of interchangeable backstraps (the part that fills the hollow at the base of the palm) for adjustable fit. And go with a new pistol, not a used one, for your first handgun purchase-the support from the manufacturer and dealer, and the kind of assistance you'll get at a range, are all better if you show up with a brand new gun (that is obviously not the victim of being tinkered with) and ask honest questions.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2011, 10:05 PM

Nice, a fear driven paranoia fueled gun purchase.

You are so the guy who is going to end up on the firing end of an accidental shooting.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 4, 2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post

You are so the guy who is going to end up on the firing end of an accidental shooting.
I suggest that you review the process required to be licensed to buy a gun in Massachusetts. You describe a knee-jerk sort of action. That's hardly the case, given the rather arduous process required in The Commonwealth. Further, paranoia implies lack of rational consideration of the actual risk from the object of discussion-which is again not the case, given the (rather public) history our fellow member has with this particular wrong-doer. Finally, I think your post ignores the OP's basic ground rules: this thread is to discuss a process, not the merits of the object of that process.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2011, 11:23 PM

I am finding myself in agreement with Captain Obvious. Surely, the sky is falling.

Here's what I think: Unless you really, really know what you're doing, carrying a gun will do jack shit for self defence. Pulling a gun with the intention of killing another human being is not easy, nor should it be.

I cried like a baby when I shot my first deer. Being confronted with the knowledge that you've taken a life is not much fun.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2011, 12:55 AM

There are two schools of thought. 9mm supersonic rounds which will go right through you, leaving small holes or 45's which are subsonic chunks of lead that knock you down, take the wind out of you and make big ugly holes and don't usually exit on the other side.
A proper 9mm defense round isn’t going to “go right through you.” I would trust that the poster’s CCW course covered the merits of carrying JHP over FMJ for self defense. As far as stopping power is concerned, larger diameter round does not exactly equal better stopping power. The velocity of the round is what produces hydrostatic shock in the target; a supersonic round is superior in this regard.

I don’t want to get into the 9mm vs. .40 S&W argument, all I will says is that over 60% of US law enforcement agencies carry 9mm.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2011, 01:14 AM

Carrying a gun doesn't mean he's going to use it. Sometimes the threat of a gun is enough, sometimes the sight of a gun will be enough too.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2011, 01:47 AM

My vote? The one that fits your hand the best and is easiest for YOU to shoot.
buy something you will carry!

yeah a huge honkin 45 is the supposed end all of guns, but in reality what you comfortably carry day after day is what will do the best at protecting you...

Try concealing a full size handgun, NOT EASY, nor comfortable, nor light. I have a XD9SC (Sub Compact) GREAT weapon, but I want something lighter and easier to conceal.

Personally the XD series fit my hand better, so I got that over the glock, both are nice weapons.

I have no idea on the purchasing process in IL, but I will say this. Talk so some gun owners (if you can) and shop around. Go in and find a salesperson who looks like they know what they are talking about and tell them your story. EVERY gun store salesperson I have talked to wants nothing more then you to be happy with your purchase, then you come back and buy more. It's not like they want to sell you the most expensive thing in the case (usually) dont be shy, walk up and tell them you want to buy a gun and have no idea how, I would imagine it would be a good idea to show your CCW permit so they take you seriously. see what they have to say and keep shopping around, find a good store, with good people and buy what you like. if you end up with a 22lr pistol then so be it, ANY GUN is better then no gun when you need it...

good luck!

Oh, if you find a pushy salesman WALK AWAY! seriously, someone who claims such and such is the best thing since sliced bread is in idiot, EVERYBODY has different tastes in weapons and if you plan on carrying then each person is VERY different. ALSO, a good concealment holster is important... do research and see what people like for that particular weapon, most XD owners swear by the crossbreed supertuck, but it changes from weapon to weapon.

-Zach

PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2011, 05:20 AM

Reading the original post, you only have 1 enemy. A gun with 1 bullet should be sufficient !
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 5, 2011, 07:37 AM

The topic is "the process," not advisability. Let's stay on topic...

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2011, 08:24 AM

Various Law enforcement types, both local and federal who carry firearms.

You're not helping your case. An XD does NOT have a clip. It has a magazine. The two words are not interchangeable.

My vote? The one that fits your hand the best and is easiest for YOU to shoot. For me, it's a Glock 19. The Glock 22 mentioned above is a full size pistol and not the easiest to conceal.
You are right. The 3rd magazine I bought at a gun show had a receipt that said 'clip for XD45' but the Springfield Armory booklet that came with the gun says magazine.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 5, 2011, 08:36 AM

Your generic gun store guy is "not always precise" with terminology. A magazine for a firearm is a storage and feeding device, while a clip is a device for storing ammunition to facilitate its loading into a magazine. A modern pistol uses a magazine. The venerable Garand rifle has a fixed, internal magazine that is loaded by inserting a clip containing 8 rounds of ammunition.

Glock Pistol magazine:

Ammunition in Garand clip:

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2011, 11:27 AM

Various Law enforcement types, both local and federal who carry firearms.
Please be more vague. Ask a ER doc to identify from the wound track only what size bullet caused it. He/She won't be able to.

You know what's most important? Accuracy of the shot.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Logically,
bigger bullet = bigger damage
smaller bullet = smaller damage

Unless of course, the smaller bullet hits the heart, or the *head

*I've heard stories of smaller mm bullets ricocheting off the skull, and leaving a scrape.
Logically, maybe. The problem is that the human body is not a rigid medium. It is able to withstand and absorb tremendous amounts of shock.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2011, 11:32 AM

Once you figure out what kind of gun you want, check out the usual going rate for them at a site like Guns for Sale, Gun Classifieds, Gun Auctions, Shop for Guns at GunsAmerica . Contrary to what others have said, not all gun shop workers are helpful. Don't be afraid to go somewhere else if you run into an idiot trying to push you into a different gun because of some childish calibre argument. Get what you want.

Pay with cash. They'll be more likely to give you a good deal since it'll save them the merchant fee that visa orb mastercard charges. Make a cash offer below their price and ask them to throw in 50 rounds of ammo and a spare magazine. If they go for it, you get a good deal. If not, try another gun shop. When you walk out the door, they'll probably take your deal. They get the guns at a lot lower price than they sell them for. You absolutely can haggle on price, especially with prices being artificially high because so many gun people are racists that hate Obama.

Edit: I wouldn't order from a site like gunsamerica because you have to have it shipped to a gun store with a FFL. They'll charge you a fee to transfer the gun to you. I would bet a Massachusetts gun store would charge you quite a bit. It's usually a $30-50 fee.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz View Post
buy something you will carry!
Yes, I should've said that too. It has to be the combination of several factors. At first, I wanted the smallest and lightest (within my budget) gun I could carry. I chose a Kel-tec PF9. It is very easy to conceal but it's not a fun gun to shoot. Because it's so small, it's very snappy. I ended up selling it to get my Glock 19. I decided that I shouldn't carry a gun that I didn't enjoy practicing and becoming proficient at.
yeah a huge honkin 45 is the supposed end all of guns, but in reality what you comfortably carry day after day is what will do the best at protecting you...
I disagree with the 45 statement but agree with carry what's comfortable to you.[/quote]
Try concealing a full size handgun, NOT EASY, nor comfortable, nor light.
This completely depends on your frame size and daily dress.
Personally the XD series fit my hand better, so I got that over the glock, both are nice weapons.
I'm a glock guy but always recommend to people to get the one that best fits their hand and is easiest to shoot. Everybody has different size hands and different tolerances to recoil. [/quote]

Oh, if you find a pushy salesman WALK AWAY! seriously, someone who claims such and such is the best thing since sliced bread is in idiot, EVERYBODY has different tastes in weapons and if you plan on carrying then each person is VERY different. ALSO, a good concealment holster is important... do research and see what people like for that particular weapon, most XD owners swear by the crossbreed supertuck, but it changes from weapon to weapon.
Agree 100% about the salesperson.

Along with a good holster, a good belt is of vital importance too. I never really understood that until I bought a $75 belt at a gun show about a month ago. My holster now stays locked in place instead of sliding around.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post

The .40 is a very good compromise between 9mm and .45 Auto; it's heftier than the 9, less "challenging" to control than the .45,
I'm going to disagree with your statement that a .40 is less challenging to control than a .45. A .40 is basically a shortened version of the 10mm which is a cannon. The .40 is loaded to much higher pressures than the .45 and is, IMHO, harder to shoot than a .45. That's all things being equal of course (same gun manufacturer, same ammo, etc). I used to own a Glock 22 and didn't really like shooting it, it's just too snappy. My friend bought a Glock 21 (full size .45) and it was so much easier to shoot and fun. I ended up getting the Glock 17 (9mm) and love it. The 17 and 22 use the same size frame.
Be advised though, that the Glock 22 is a "full size" pistol, meaning that it best fits fairly large hands.
While the 22 is a full size pistol, the new Generation 4 offers changeable backstraps (you mention this later in your original response and I didn't quote that part, just to be fair) and you no longer have to have large hands. And, again, the 22 uses the same size frame as the 17. I don't have very large hands and it fits me just fine.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2011, 01:58 PM

His reasons are his own.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2011, 02:55 PM

I'm really not sure how buying guns is done around the rest of the country. Here in NW Louisiana, you can buy one from one of the many gun shows, gun shops, Walmarts, florists, McDonald's, or hospital gift shops.

I'd say comfort in using the gun and accuracy with it trumps the size and the amount of ammo per clip, but definitely get something easily concealed. I hope you never have to use your gun in self-defense, but having it could possibly save your life. Good luck in your purchase.

Forum Links
Forum Rules