Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Why Are None of the Good iPad Cases Available Yet?

Why Are None of the Good iPad Cases Available Yet?
selowitch
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2010, 08:26 PM

Drat! Seems like any and all of the iPad cases I really want aren't available yet:Couldn't any one of these manufacturers have something ready for the launch??? Is that too much to ask??
Maybe none of these guys could get their hands on an actual iPad so they couldn't finalize their designs until later?

I have an idea -- let's add to this list all of the iPad cases that aren't available yet.
( Last edited by selowitch; Apr 6, 2010 at 07:04 PM. )

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2010, 09:52 PM

Yeah, guess apple could have shared samples with the case manufaturers instead of keeping them waiting along with the rest of us... I'll probably end up with an M-Edge Portfolio case as i have them for my kindles and really like them. In the meantime, though, you might want to visit a staples and look for a neophrene case for the HP mini. The exterior of the cas is neoprene, with a nice zipper on top and best of all is that the inside is a fleece like material. Very nice. Probably the best part is it was something like $25-28. Bought one today on an impulse and it is working great. It is slightly larger than the ipad and really offers superb protection for the the screen.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2010, 11:38 PM

Guess we'll add:The InCase Neoprene Sleeve Plus for iPad sounds similar (a bit pricier) to the one you mentioned at Staples and appears to be available now.
( Last edited by selowitch; Apr 6, 2010 at 12:00 AM. )

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2010, 03:00 AM

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2010, 09:53 AM

Yep, the incase product looks identical to the neoprene case I bought at Staples. Perhaps the incase one is sized for the iPad. The one from Staples is just a but larger, but that's ok as it is a temporary thing until I can get an m-edge case. I'll simple use the staples case for my hp net book...

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
10 Awesome Apple iPad Cases
(available now.)
Uh, no. Five (i.e., half) of them are specifically not available now, and the rest are frankly pretty lame.

Hodog16
Apr 6, 2010, 10:47 AM

I'd probably have to look at some of these cases at the apple store whenever they come out to figure out which is best.

The Cloak looks promising.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
10 Awesome Apple iPad Cases
(available now.)
I want the Dark Side of the Moon MusicSkin.

And the Madonna one.

And the Abbey Road one.

And the Sgt Pepper one.

And the

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hodog16 View Post
The Cloak looks promising.
Yes! The Quirky Cloak is my early favorite among cases I haven't tried.

Today I bought an Apple iPad Case. It's actually pretty nice, but not a complete impact-protection solution, IMO. I have it inside a Targus A7 Netbook Slipcase, slightly oversized but it was cheaply available at Best Buy, and that should do for now.

I wonder if the Apple iPad Case is thin enough to fit inside other tight-fitting bags/cases?

Dang! I just read that the Apple iPad Case is incompatible with the Apple iPad Dock! Ugh!!!

Once they come out, though, I definitely want one of the aforementioned nicer ones or something I haven't seen yet.
( Last edited by selowitch; Apr 6, 2010 at 08:03 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2010, 11:24 PM

Just grabbed a Nishikigoi foofbag.

-Q-
Apr 7, 2010, 08:31 AM

Yes, the quirky cloak looks quite nice. I'll have to check it out in person when it's released.

I bought the Apple case and am not that pleased. It seems cheap and those weird edges it has seems awkward. I like it's flexibility as a stand but it just doesn't seem nice enough to be a case on my iPad.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2010, 08:55 AM

I'm picked up a Belkin sleeve for way too much money, but I definitely want something like that Quirky Cloak. Not sure I want a rubber case for the iPad, though.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2010, 12:35 PM

I just got my Apple case yesterday and I'm disappointed. I like the function: it's simple, thin, opens easily, and the tilt stand is convenient. The problem is the bizarrely sharp edges that they put on it. They add quite a bit of area around the device and make it harder to thumb-type in portrait mode.

I'm now looking at the Cloak and the Marware Eco-vue

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2010, 01:57 PM

Also a minor disappointment with the Apple case is that it doesn't allow the iPad to be in the dock when in the case. Not sure the thinking behind that, but its pretty inconvenient to have to remove your iPad from the case when you want to put it in the dock (which I will do just about every night). Had my money set aside for the Apple case, but now I'm not so sure.

kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Also a minor disappointment with the Apple case is that it doesn't allow the iPad to be in the dock when in the case. Not sure the thinking behind that, but its pretty inconvenient to have to remove your iPad from the case when you want to put it in the dock (which I will do just about every night). Had my money set aside for the Apple case, but now I'm not so sure.
Since I already have it, I'll probably hold onto it just to protect my iPad from my 2 yr old until the other cases come out and I can evaluate them. But if you don't have a case yet and think you can be careful, save your money.

Andrew88088
Apr 7, 2010, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the heads up about the Apple case. My store was sold out of them otherwise I would've purchased it with my iPad. I think I'm going to shop around a bit.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew88088 View Post
Thanks for the heads up about the Apple case. My store was sold out of them otherwise I would've purchased it with my iPad. I think I'm going to shop around a bit.
The Apple iPad Case isn't bad. I like the feel of the rubber and it's nice and thin. I too have small children and this may help guard against spills. But the extra bit of material along the edge is a bummer, as is the incompatibility with the Apple iPad Dock. Not a good decision by Apple, a company that prides itself on design.

-Q-
Apr 7, 2010, 03:54 PM

I completely agree with selowitch's assessment. The Apple iPad cover is nice but it just seems like something a third party company would design, not Apple. It has some things about it I like (the various ways it can position the iPad in landscape or portrait, the feel material used) but the edge is obnoxious and it doesn't seem worth the $40.

Hodog16
Apr 9, 2010, 02:24 PM

Agreed, thanks for the feedback on the apple cover. Think I'll pass on it now.

The netbook cover is a good idea just for something cheap and easy while transporting the iPad. Maybe I'll go hunting this weekend.

Andrew88088
Apr 11, 2010, 10:41 PM

I just ordered the Incase Convertible Book Jacket. The site had said it was sold out, but I just checked tonight and I was able to order one. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Forum Links
Forum Rules