Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Halo: Reach

View Poll Results: Are you buying it?
Poll Options:
Well, yeah! 7 votes (38.89%)
Probably. It's not at the top of my list though. 2 votes (11.11%)
Nope. I hate Halo. 6 votes (33.33%)
I'm holding off; I don't know if I'm interested anymore 3 votes (16.67%)
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll
Halo: Reach (Page 10)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Get me and Bogues together and SWAT is our bitch.
Only because my camping ways make it 3v4

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 20, 2010, 04:39 PM

here's hoping for a SWAT playlist sooner rather than later, AP is great at SWAT too, we could be the Miami heat (but im dwayne wade)

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2010, 05:16 PM

The Miami SWAT dream team:

Bogues - Dwayne Wade
AP - LeBron James
Fatty - Chris Bosh
Dakar - Joel Anthony

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
The Miami SWAT dream team:

Bogues - Dwayne Wade
AP - LeBron James
Fatty - Chris Bosh
Dakar - Joel Anthony
I'd post names for you and your brother, but no one knows the names of the Miami Heat ballboys.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 20, 2010, 05:30 PM

I don't know who Joel Anthony is either

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'd post names for you and your brother, but no one knows the names of the Miami Heat ballboys.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 20, 2010, 05:38 PM

I would of used a hockey reference but I figured basketball was more universal

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2010, 05:46 PM

stogie's right, Halo's stat tracking really does encourage us turn against each other. We should be decrying all the 12 year-old cyborg-fag-aimbots. And, of course, the game itself.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2010, 08:50 PM

My weapons of choice (cue Fatboy slim music):

1. DMR 37%
2. Ghost 22%
3. Melee 6%
4. Scorpion 5%
5. Explosion 5%
6. Frag Grenade 4%
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2010, 01:12 AM

So my first multiplayer game yesterday with Dakar and Fatty began with a Warthog killing spree with Dakar at the helm. I'm reall[y digging BTB games. Tore it up and went 19-2 with the sniper last night on BTB.

I really need to try and get on during the early evening hours so I can show Dakar how good this "ball boy" is.

Ice Cube vid was f'n hilarious Keith! Good call!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2010, 10:16 AM

This game's gameplay is so vanilla it's disgusting.

So, in Team Slayer we have Slayer DMRs, Slayer Pro, & Team SWAT just absolutely abusing the playlist and taking all the fun out of this game. SWAT definitely has to go to Arena only, if only to stop the competitive aimbots from slumming it in the Team Slayer. Slayer Pro needs to be toned down on frequency as its going to get consequently dogpiled. I don't even remember playing a game on the Team Slayer playlist last night where I found any power weapons. It was all this DMR/Needle Rifle. (But hey on the bright side, no spawn-rush for the Rockets! LOL!)

Oh, a quick check lists 5 out of 10 games last night had at least one player DNF. I'm so tired of finding AFK guys on my team I just assassinate them.

Also, Team Snipers on Hemorrhage FTL.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2010, 10:40 AM

Oh and the best part of the series – the vehicle combat – has been obnoxiously nerfed. I'm sure my warthog involuntary barrel rolls vs. splatter ratio is closer than you'd think.

And I'm very amused that after being out a week we're already seeing the first recycled daily challenge (from yesterday no less!).

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2010, 11:50 AM

And I'm very amused that after being out a week we're already seeing the first recycled daily challenge (from yesterday no less!).
I didn't expect daily challenges to change every day. If they change 2-3 times per week, I'll be happy.

As for the warthog, I can see your point about it having the tendency to flip, but other than that, I haven't noticed too many problems, and usually i can recover from a barrel roll or the warthog leaning one way or the other so it doesn't flip. It could do with a little more balance or less bounce or something.

But as for the skidding, or sliding, I don't notice it much. Then again in Halo 1, I used to powerslide into the bases on blood gulch in CTF so that my door was lined up with the base door.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
usually i can recover from a barrel roll or the warthog leaning one way or the other so it doesn't flip.
I find this difficult when someone with concussive whatever initiated and is prolonging the rolling.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 21, 2010, 12:02 PM

So, in Team Slayer we have Slayer DMRs, Slayer Pro, & Team SWAT just absolutely abusing the playlist and taking all the fun out of this game. SWAT definitely has to go to Arena only, .
I agree completely, the SWAT playlist should be in ARENA, its more of a competitive game type anyway. ALthough i like Slayer Pro, i think it should be in its own playlist or be limited in options, it comes up almost every-game as a choice. It will be interesting to see what playlists get created with the update in October.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2010, 12:38 PM

I find this difficult when someone with concussive whatever initiated and is prolonging the rolling.
Yeah, you go rollin' when a Scorpion blasts you...
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2010, 12:38 PM

I'd like to see the pro applied to other games instead of just DMR/NR. How about pro pistols or pro shottys or something. I agree, the games that end up as DMR/NR battles are far to frequent in Team Slayer. I actually prefer SWAT to Slayer pro, since I am a headshot machine, but I can't do the ultra-annoying jumping headshot combo that is THE technique of Slayer Pro.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2010, 12:42 PM

I think the Warthog physics come down, simply, to a springy-er suspension.

IMO the grip is the same it's been since H2, go play Halo CE if you really want to see what a slippery hog drives like. In Reach the wheeled vehicles have quite a bit more bounce in their suspensions, leading to an ability to flip them at the drop of a hat.

One vehicle that does seem to control way different is the Scorpion. I used to be able to drive the Scorpion like a god-damned master back in H2, strafing sideways and shooting behind me was no problem. Now it seems to have a more limited ability to drive one way while looking the other.

Also, I am completely useless in the Banshee now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2010, 12:42 PM

I'd like to see the pro applied to other games instead of just DMR/NR. How about pro pistols or pro shottys or something.
So basically a bunch of one-weapon only variants? Cool for customs, but bleh for playlists (exception: Rocketfight)

I agree, the games that end up as DMR/NR battles are far to frequent in Team Slayer. I actually prefer SWAT to Slayer pro, since I am a headshot machine, but I can't do the ultra-annoying jumping headshot combo that is THE technique of Slayer Pro.
I prefer SWAT too, for two easy reasons: 1. I'm more likely to score one quick headshot that 4 bodyshots + headshot; 2. No grenade spamming

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2010, 12:44 PM

I think the Warthog physics come down, simply, to a springy-er suspension.
Quite simply, they have no weight.

Also, I am completely useless in the Banshee now.
Definitely super-nerfed.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2010, 12:51 PM

I was too busy to sign on last night but I saw Euthyphro and Subie in your party. Did Subie have a change of heart? I thought he returned the game (or was going to).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2010, 12:55 PM

That was saint.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2010, 02:23 PM

Some random shots of last night's action.

My second attempt at a Jetpack Banshee Hijack™ Didn't work but I didn't get splattered this time.

My favorite map so far, Swordbase. This particular hallway seems to the designated clusterf**k area, as you can see.

Pretty self-explanatory.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2010, 05:23 PM

In case you're wondering the top complaints on the bungie forums seem to be:

Hey, there's a lot of SWAT (and sometimes Snipers)
I'm getting banned for quitting a few times (no wait, it turns out I do it all the time)
I'm no longer quitting, now I'm just going to AFK (i.e., 5 deaths and 8 minutes of my life wasted is better than actually playing to skirt a ban)
Also, the betrayal system is bad.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2010, 06:30 PM

No one is bitch about the spawning? Especially on Bone Yard.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2010, 06:44 PM

I did see one thread about Boneyard (regarding SWAT). But you have to remember, most Halo players think CoD sucks, so they don't realize the spawning system is at the atrocious level it is.

Edit: Hell with some of complaints I've heard about Armor Abilities slowing down gameplay, I think some may like it (probably the aimbot-cyborgs)

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2010, 08:50 PM

Yeah, the SWAT on BTB is getting ridiculous. Slayer (everyone leaves), SWAT, SWAT, Sniper, SWAT.

SWAT seems to get picked more than anything.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2010, 10:45 PM

Yeah those are some stupid spawns. Right out in the open. I was noticing that today. They couldn't spawn you near a building or behind some cover?
MacBook Pro

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 22, 2010, 07:55 AM

Random Shots from Yesterday

AP and Bogues Playing 2v2 Arena

Halo 2 Remake in Rumble Pit -Sanctuary

didn't know this was in rotation, but i actually like it

Me (Recon FTW)

Game on Sanctuary Remake
"F*CK"

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2010, 10:12 AM

I have to say, I don't like that the recon helmet has to use the weird attachments. Those should be removable.

---

Took me a while to realize it, but BTB kinda sucks for vehicle combat. It's not completely bungie's fault, but it mostly is. They have three original maps that work with BTB battle, and two of them are non vehicular (Boardwalk and Countdown). What's left is Spire, which is terrible for the warthog (and half the map goes unused, too). After that you have Hemorrhage, which is a huge over-correction in the other direction, and partially ruined by the presence of tanks.

(It occurs to me that I forgot Boneyard, but for some reason that never comes up, even though it's huge. Not sure I've seen any type of reg. Slayer variant there anyway)

Oh yeah, we got SWAT on Hemorrhage last night. It's kinda better than snipers as people actually move around on it. No Mongeese, though.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 10:58 AM

I really like Hemorrhage, yeah that's right.

Deal with it!

'Course that might be because I've been able to get the sniper in my hands almost every match there. Agreed on the Tanks though, it would be nice if there was only one tank, right in the middle.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2010, 11:05 AM

I really like Hemorrhage, yeah that's right.

Deal with it!

'Course that might be because I've been able to get the sniper in my hands almost every match there. Agreed on the Tanks though, it would be nice if there was only one tank, right in the middle.
Yeah, exactly. I'm sure Crosbie likes it too, but that's because he somehow manages to snag the tank every time (and camp with it).

Honestly, I like it more than Spire, just because the vehicle combat is interesting. Spire is kinda awful, as far as level design is concerned.

I was looking through the old Halo maps... High Ground, Last Resort, Sandtrap, Valhalla, Snowbound, Isolation... All release maps with at least one vehicle on them.

I keep thinking I'll Forge a good version of Hemorrhage, but I have a feeling no one will want to do Customs thanks tot he new cR system.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2010, 11:12 AM

Took me a while to realize it, but BTB kinda sucks for vehicle combat. It's not completely bungie's fault, but it mostly is. They have three original maps that work with BTB battle, and two of them are non vehicular (Boardwalk and Countdown). What's left is Spire, which is terrible for the warthog (and half the map goes unused, too). After that you have Hemorrhage, which is a huge over-correction in the other direction, and partially ruined by the presence of tanks.

(It occurs to me that I forgot Boneyard, but for some reason that never comes up, even though it's huge. Not sure I've seen any type of reg. Slayer variant there anyway)
You're right, there aren't too many good vehicle maps. Hopefully some more will come out in a map pack release.

In regards to boneyard, it's come up often for me. In fact the pics I posted earlier were from Boneyard. The nice thing about Boneyard is there is a Ghost spawned half a map away from the blue and red spawns (if you can't get the ghost at the red and blue spawns). It looks like Boneyard was created for 4 spawns. The only reason I can think of for the Ghost spawn, and across from it almost, the mongoose spawn.

I like boneyard, lots of different ways to traverse the map with a vehicle and no tanks, I believe.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2010, 11:15 AM

Hopefully some more will come out in a map pack release..
We'll be gone by then, and that's BS anyway. $5 says they'll be at Activision prices.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2010, 11:16 AM

I keep thinking I'll Forge a good version of Hemorrhage, but I have a feeling no one will want to do Customs thanks tot he new cR system.
You don't earn CR on Custom maps? I thought you earned CR on everything. I assumed you could earn CR on the campaign too?
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2010, 11:19 AM

We'll be gone by then
Yeah, that may be true. Once the cannonfodder leaves, we'll be left going up against the pros and the .
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2010, 11:23 AM

You don't earn CR on Custom maps?
50 cR, regardless of outcome.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2010, 11:43 AM

Honestly what I'd really like to see happen is get a 7 or 8 man lobby and drop into TS and beat the snot out of each other. Extra bragging rights if the team with the random wins.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 12:09 PM

Hemorrhage is awful, and Spire is even worse. As was already mentioned, half of Spire isn't even touched (unless you're sprinting or jet-packing your way out of it after a re-spawn).

I'd be more interested in custom Forge matches than I am in credits. I've played around with it a little, and I'm trying to get the hang of the tool controls.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Hemorrhage is awful, and Spire is even worse. As was already mentioned, half of Spire isn't even touched (unless you're sprinting or jet-packing your way out of it after a re-spawn).
Spire strikes me as something I might create – I come up with a crazy concept (What is there's this giant tower that can shoot down on everything else!?), and try to balance it (There'll be Hornet's everywhere, several ways up, and a back-end away from it). However there's no way I would let a map like this get into the game. It's not quite a BR map (Hilariously the Spire is too tall), not quite a vehicle map (the Hornets are the only vehicles with any flexibility, but are almost pointless since the maps is more tall than long or wide) so it's this failed hybrid. Just terrible.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'd be more interested in custom Forge matches than I am in credits.
Christian.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 01:17 PM

Spire is by far the stupidest map in the game. I have no problem with the central base idea but one thing the map doesn't need is....the spire! Make the spire 1/3rd its current height, so you can't see the whole map while on it, make the back area actually have a point (maybe a second base?) and let's not have the sniper and rocket spawn within sprinting distance of each other on a massive map.

As for Forge I am all over that idea, honestly, I don't give a shit about credits anyways.

Hemorrhage would be a very cool map to mod, I'd start at the center with some sort of structure that would aid in breaking the ridiculously long lines-of-sight. Take away both scorpions, add a laser in the center structure, change most (if not all) the spawn points, move the sniper spawn farther away from the main bases (maybe on each hill like Snowbound?) add a man-cannon from the halfway point (after the teleporters) towards the center structure, in place of the sniper spawn put something that is good for light vehicle defense (the covenant grenade dealy?) and maybe throw in a couple of turrets at key points of contention.

Actually, I think I might sit down with Forge and flesh out this idea. Either way I think we had the most fun in H3 while playing Custom games. Maybe folks can work on one big Forged map for large parties and one small forged map for 2v2 and whatnot.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2010, 01:22 PM

Spire is by far the stupidest map in the game. I have no problem with the central base idea but one thing the map doesn't need is....the spire! Make the spire 1/3rd its current height, so you can't see the whole map while on it, make the back area actually have a point (maybe a second base?) and let's not have the sniper and rocket spawn within sprinting distance of each other on a massive map.
Honestly, the ideal thing to put on Spire's back end is... another Spire!

That would encourage both down fire and crossfire. Then, you place the jump base in the middle going both ways (Or, alternatively, add a second on opposite of the current one). That would add a sort of flow to the map.

Hemorrhage would be a very cool map to mod, I'd start at the center with some sort of structure that would aid in breaking the ridiculously long lines-of-sight. Take away both scorpions, add a laser in the center structure, change most (if not all) the spawn points, move the sniper spawn farther away from the main bases (maybe on each hill like Snowbound?) add a man-cannon from the halfway point (after the teleporters) towards the center structure, in place of the sniper spawn put something that is good for light vehicle defense (the covenant grenade dealy?) and maybe throw in a couple of turrets at key points of contention.
I have a plan for Hemorrhage and it basically involves a base in the center that serves that dual purpose of base and sight-breaker. I'm hoping the cost of building structures is very cheap because I'd like to do some elaborate work in the center and then give each base some deeper complexity (I don't need Valhalla, but there's no reason to go topside of the base now)

Edit: The downside is I have no time to Forge during the week. And probably not on the weekend if I keep going into work)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 01:29 PM

Seems like we are on the same page here. I'd also like to see the center base make use of barrier walls that limit where traffic can pass through. I also just had a vision of the cliffside areas having a few barriers than provide cover when you are running around on them. As it is I must have sniped two dozen people caught near the middle of the cliff-walk and let's just say that position really leaves you high and dry.

As for the current red and blue bases, adding a third level with no cover at all would be awesome. Give the second level some more cover, and some middle-of-the-road weapons, and have something good up top, maybe the rockets.

What about a landing pad of sorts in the top level of the middle base with a Banshee?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2010, 01:42 PM

Seems like we are on the same page here. I'd also like to see the center base make use of barrier walls that limit where traffic can pass through. I also just had a vision of the cliffside areas having a few barriers than provide cover when you are running around on them. As it is I must have sniped two dozen people caught near the middle of the cliff-walk and let's just say that position really leaves you high and dry.
I hate you. I'll just lay out my basic vision for the middle – imagine a Great Wall of China like structure. Of course there will be modifications to make it passable via certain vehicles.

As for the current red and blue bases, adding a third level with no cover at all would be awesome. Give the second level some more cover, and some middle-of-the-road weapons, and have something good up top, maybe the rockets.
Not that I want a laser (rockets seem passable) but how does a map with tanks have no anti-vehicluar weapons? There are stickies somewhere but you'll be long dead if you find those.

Honestly one pair of rockets in the middle and no tanks seems like a huge shift towards the player while still striking a balance that I would declare is still tilted in favor of vehicles.

What about a landing pad of sorts in the top level of the middle base with a Banshee?
Have at it. I have some other ideas.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 02:02 PM

Two spires? Maybe, but sek's 1/3 height idea is still a necessity. The spire is absolutely ridiculous, and is barely useful even as a sniper point. I hate that map, and get slaughtered even more than usual on it.

I'd be most interested in the Forged-out Hemorrhage mentioned earlier.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
Christian.
Reprobate.

On a related note, I had my headphones up loud enough last night to prompt my wife to ask, "Who just said 'MFer?'" I muted my mic and told her I wasn't sure which godless heathen it was at the time.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2010, 02:05 PM

That was likely me. That first head hunter game was cruel. If I wasn't dying everyone was getting, uh, head, before I could.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 02:24 PM

I think all of us were letting F-bombs fly for most of the night. Also I say jesus Christ and god dammit a lot, sorry Church-boy

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2010, 02:25 PM

Time for us to start dropping the c-word.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 02:32 PM

I hate you. I'll just lay out my basic vision for the middle – imagine a Great Wall of China like structure. Of course there will be modifications to make it passable via certain vehicles.
Heh, pretty much exactly what I had in mind. That way you can have people on foot assaulting vehicles near the center of the map and still have a chance for cover behind the great wall, or maybe even on top of it with some sort of walkway with intermittent cover. Maybe make use of ramps for vehicles to get over the wall in both directions, that way once an enemy has ramped over to the opposing base he is stuck there unless he wants to make a complete retreat back over the wall.

Have at it. I have some other ideas.
If there is a Banshee then my rockets at the middle idea would have to be changed. Since the guy who gets the Banshee will also most likely get the rockets. I was even thinking about that Beam Rifle thingy completely replacing the sniper rifles spawns and maybe making the sniper a one-per-map weapon as well as the rockets and/or laser.

My overall plan for that map is to force people to leave their base in order to speed up gameplay. make the base a place where only medium weapons and vehicles spawn, and make the middle area of the map where you want to be for the goodies. Kind of a very classic approach to Halo, but I think it balances out the map nicely.

Going to try my hand at forge now, perhaps tonight will be a joint sharing and critique session. I am going to focus on the structures first, and not worry about weapon or player spawns until we have reached a consensus on what the structures would best be suited for..

Any ideas, from anyone, on what map should be forged for the smaller games? I'll entertain anything, except the remake of Ascension.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2010, 02:34 PM

I haven't checked out Forge World, but there are areas of all size to forge on. So you can create something from scratch on one of them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules