Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacOS9 & DSL

MacOS9 & DSL
jsullivan
Dec 2, 1999, 01:58 AM

I am looking for help in setting up my DSL under MacOS9. I have done a clean install on my B&WG3 350. My DSL provider requires me to use manual addressing. I have checked and doubled checked my addresses and nothing seems to work. My provider states they are unaware of any OS9 problems. Apple Tech support said they weren't aware of any problems when using manual addressing. They suggested downgrading to OS8.6. Not the direction I want to go although it worked flawlessly under OS8.6. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

penginkun
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 1999, 02:42 AM

OK, the patronising questions first:
When going through the ISA, on page 2, where it asks you how you'll be connecting to the internet... Do you tell it Network?

Later on, I think this is on page 4, when it asks if there is an IP, did you tell it yes?

If all else fails, just go through the ISA as normal, and then edit the settings in the TCP/IP control panel by hand. You'll want to have Connect Via set to Ethernet, and Configure set to Manually. You'll then be able to enter your IP, your subnet masque, and your router, as well as the DNS IPs and the domain name.

Hope this is of some help.

fleshhorn
Dec 2, 1999, 10:52 AM

Fundamentally, and technically, there are zero differences between the way OS 8.6's OT 2.X, and OS 9's OT 2.5.X handle manual addressing. So there shouldn't be any problem here. I suggest trashing both your TCP/IP preferences and your MacTCP DNR file, and rebooting. Reset them. Hope this helps!

jsullivan
Dec 2, 1999, 01:52 PM

Thanks for the advice but neither have helped the situation. I had already done as penginkun had suggested, but for the 7th or 8th time I tried it again to no avail. I have tried setting up TCP/IP using ISA and I have tried setting it up directly, all without any success. I have tried trashing the preference files as fleshhorn suggested, but alas, again no success. Can I replace 9.0's OT 2.5.X with 8.6's OT 2.X and how can I accomplish this?

fleshhorn
Dec 2, 1999, 03:50 PM

Sorry I haven't any more suggestions and I highly don't recommend putting OT 2 in OS 9. I think you will find serious stability issues, but do as you may. In the meantime you can go back to 8.6 and demand assistance from your DSl service. If they do not have any requirements stating OS 9 incompatibility, then you can demand a refund of a months service until however long it takes to make the two work. I got two months out of Adelphia when their servers were not compliant with OS 8.5's DHCP protocol.

ken22
Dec 4, 1999, 12:04 PM

Have you checked your extensions folder for missing, necessary items/
You need Apple enet, OpenTransport, OpenTransport ASLM Modules, and DNS Plugin.
You can probably remove OpenTransport Serial Port Arbitrator.
Does your DSL ISP use an Dynamic IP, requiring something such as MacPOet for connection? If so, a reinstall of MacPOet will often solve the problem.

Ken

gunner
May 12, 2000, 02:56 PM

I know this will sound lame, but are you sure you are using the right cable to the DSL modem? Make sure it is NOT a crossover cable.

Just something else to look at.

mrdisco
May 14, 2000, 02:21 PM

be sure you have the latest firmware installed in your DSL router/bridge.

Tuscan
May 16, 2000, 10:06 AM

I've had similar problems and have almost resigned to a downgrade to 8.6. Too bad!

Forum Links
Forum Rules