Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is Apple pro-war? Should I cancel my PowerBook 17"?

Is Apple pro-war? Should I cancel my PowerBook 17"? (Page 2)
Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 20, 2003, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
See the graphic above.
I did, nowhere does it say "No one hates the US"

Having 70% approval does not say "No one hates the US."

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2003, 03:52 PM

I'm returning my Krups coffee maker to Target. No way I'm financing the Nazi war machine.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2003, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I did, nowhere does it say "No one hates the US"

Having 70% approval does not say "No one hates the US."
You're a little Saddam, aren't you? Not satisfied with anything under 100%.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 20, 2003, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
You're a little Saddam, aren't you? Not satisfied with anything under 100%.

I don't think I made any comments as to my satisfaction or lack of towards the percentages.

Jeesh people. Get them knees back in place.

Tie them down to your chair if you have to.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2003, 04:09 PM

I don't think I made any comments as to my satisfaction or lack of towards the percentages.

Jeesh people. Get them knees back in place.

Tie them down to your chair if you have to.

You said:

From the same page.

"America's Image Further Erodes, Europeans Want Weaker Ties
But Post-War Iraq Will Be Better Off, Most Say"

In other words. We think what the US is doing is right, but we just hate them anyways.

Not only did you chop off a headline, and thus misquote, to support your point you also expressed exasperation with Europeans in general. You did not qualify your statement in any way whatsoever.

asilagy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by tritonus:
This war is unneccessary. So sad.
First off what do you mean by Apple? All of the employees, Steve Jobs who?

Anyways why should your 17 have anything to do with the war? ooh some employees are pro-war like the majority of the United States so why don't you cancel your order, I mean Apple is the biggest funder of the US military right? I'm sure they donate all of their money to The Army.

summary : tritonus is an idiot.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2003, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
You do realize that the US is the world's largest consumer of everything right? If a large enough portion of people here boycott anything its going to hurt a company or industry.
You on the other hand are almost stuck buying into products made or associated with an American company. And even if you found enough viable alternatives and were able to persuade your fellow countrymen to follow suit we still wouldn't care because it would make no change to any company's profit margins.
Finally, targeting Apple? Ha, they hold such a minuscule portion of the computers sold in the world as it is. They aren't going to notice.

Anyway, have a good time with your pointless crusade.
Congratulations on your inability to either read or quote the whole I made. Isn't it wonderful how chopping off, without indicating that it was done, 75% of a post can make a difference in the image of a post made.

But you do a lot, I must admit, to reinforce my decision made earlier today. Your sig helps to clarify my post's origional intent very well.

Thank you.
weird wabbit

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 20, 2003, 04:48 PM

You said:

Not only did you chop off a headline, and thus misquote, to support your point you also expressed exasperation with Europeans in general. You did not qualify your statement in any way whatsoever.
What i did in no way said "I want there to be 100% support" Or even my stance on the percentages. Again, I was saying there was people that say WHAT we are doing is good, but they don't like the fact that it is the US that is doing it. As I said before, as I just had to repeat myself.

So no, I made no comments on such a thing.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2003, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
Congratulations on your inability to either read or quote the whole I made. Isn't it wonderful how chopping off, without indicating that it was done, 75% of a post can make a difference in the image of a post made.

But you do a lot, I must admit, to reinforce my decision made earlier today. Your sig helps to clarify my post's origional intent very well.

Thank you.
Hey, no problem.

I was just cutting to the main point of the response you made. The rest just read, "blah, blah, blah, I wish my overly dramatic conscience wouldn't prevail over my logical and practical mind blah, blah."
So be it.
The bottom line is no one is going to notice what you do. Buy one, sell the others, no one's life is going to change one bit.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2003, 05:04 PM

The bottom line is no one is going to notice what you do.
Obviously, you did.

Once again, thank you.
weird wabbit

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2003, 05:26 PM

What i did in no way said "I want there to be 100% support" Or even my stance on the percentages. Again, I was saying there was people that say WHAT we are doing is good, but they don't like the fact that it is the US that is doing it. As I said before, as I just had to repeat myself.

So no, I made no comments on such a thing.
Sorry? I don't understand. You're not making any sense. Fact is, apart from everything else, that you selectively quoted a partial headline, thus distorting it's meaning.

I call BS on that one.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 20, 2003, 05:29 PM

Sorry? I don't understand. You're not making any sense.

Sure I am.

Fact is, apart from everything else, that you selectively quoted a partial headline, thus distorting it's meaning.

I call BS on that one.
I was making a point, And why now are you trying to change the subject?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2003, 06:04 PM

I was making a point, [/B]
By telling half the truth. Basically, you lied.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 20, 2003, 06:12 PM

Heh so it's gone from me making comments I wasn't, to now me being a liar.

Care to shift your focuse anymore?

That is exactly what the heading said. I was hardly lying.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2003, 06:50 PM

i though apple was pro underwear....

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2003, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
i though apple was pro underwear....

WTF happened to him anyway?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2003, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by japcooker:
Funny, I seem to remember a couple of rather tall buildings in lower Manhattan.
Yes, exactly.

Now, imagine it were the other way round, that those two buildings were the only one left standing in the midst of rubble and burnt carcasses, and you've seen modern warfare.

One would expect that finally having seen a very brief glimpse of that, you'd understand that this sort of thing must NEVER happen, ESPECIALLY not on the hand of a supposedly "civilized" nation, purporting to bring "freedom".

That, obviously, was expecting too much.

May God have mercy on the souls of the dead and those who deemed themselves worthy of deciding their fate.

Good night.

-s*

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2003, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Yes, exactly.

Now, imagine it were the other way round, that those two buildings were the only one left standing in the midst of rubble and burnt carcasses, and you've seen modern warfare.

One would expect that finally having seen a very brief glimpse of that, you'd understand that this sort of thing must NEVER happen, ESPECIALLY not on the hand of a supposedly "civilized" nation, purporting to bring "freedom".

May God have mercy on the souls of the dead and those who deemed themselves worthy of deciding their fate.

Good night.

-s*
Danke Spheric. Und schlaf gut.

Ahmen!
weird wabbit

talisker
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2003, 07:31 PM

You do realize that the US is the world's largest consumer of everything right? If a large enough portion of people here boycott anything its going to hurt a company or industry.
You on the other hand are almost stuck buying into products made or associated with an American company. And even if you found enough viable alternatives and were able to persuade your fellow countrymen to follow suit we still wouldn't care because it would make no change to any company's profit margins.
Finally, targeting Apple? Ha, they hold such a minuscule portion of the computers sold in the world as it is. They aren't going to notice.

Anyway, have a good time with your pointless crusade.
Did you actually think before you posted your arrogant American nonsense? A little challenge for you when you join the 0.0001% of Americans who have passports and visit another country. Look to see how many American cars you see on the roads. In the UK, Australia or New Zealand for example it would be very unusual to see more than one or two a month. Or go into people's houses and see how many American domestic appliances, TV & stereos they have. Lots of Japanese or maybe European makes, but in my experience very few American ones. As for the big American brands, Coke, McDonalds etc, there are plenty of foreign owned alternatives. Burger King for example is owned by Diageo, a British company.

In general, America makes its consumer products for an American market, and as such they dont really appeal to people elsewhere. So you're right, it would be difficult to effectively boycott American products, but that's because they form such a small part of people's lives outside the USA.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2003, 07:36 PM

I think it might be good for you to haul the english part of you out and do a bit of the stiff upper lip routine and ignore this person. I know I'm not really the one to be offering this advice, but trying to have a discussion with him seem to be similar to the experience of talking to a tape recorder on endless loop...

...except that you can switch the tape recorder off when you get irritated enough.
weird wabbit

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2003, 07:42 PM

Now that you mention it. If I look around, my Macs and a few Levi's clothes are the only American things I seem to have. The funny thing is, I don't think I have anything, that was actually made in America.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2003, 08:46 PM

Apple is a corporation, not a person (despite what the biggest mistake our Supreme Court ever made might have to say about the matter). It has no thoughts, no feelings, and no opinions. Thus, as a corporation, it can be neither pro-war nor anti-war. It is neutral.

You might take some comfort in the fact that Macs are not standard-issue computers in the armed forces. They can be requested, but there aren't many of them (this was why the intelligence officer with a Mac got so much press: he's a rarity).

By the way, being such a zealot as to boycott American countries because of the war is just as ridiculous, absurd, and stupid as boycotting French companies because of their anti-war stance. I suppose it's your right to do it if you really want to, but it's a rather idiotic and non-constructive way of going about things.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2003, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Yes, exactly.

Funny. I seem to remember an ancient symbol of life and good fortune, perhaps most famous in Hinduism but seen in many regions of the world. Most famous, at least, until a man -a countryman of yours, if I am not mistaken- got the idea to turn it backwards and make it the symbol for some of the most heinous deeds ever done by humans.

One would expect that having seen that, you'd understand that words like "NEVER" are for the naive, and that there is a time and a place for everything, both good and bad.

And further, I seem to remember another man, some forty years later. One who was punished for his misdeeds, but constantly railed against his punishers. One who shunted off the punishment meant for him to the people under him, causing terrible suffering and the death of quite literally millions of people. One who, despite twelve years of every possible alternative, has shown he will not respond to peaceful means.

One would think that having seen this, you'd understnad that terrible though this is, we really are at the last-resort stage. That the options which must only be used as a last resort must now be opened, because all else has failed.

May God have mercy on those who still see the world in terms of black and white. Particularly those who, of all people, should understand better.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Jacket
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2003, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by japcooker:
No thanks. I prefer Apple to stay viable. To the best of my knowledge Gore hasn't been associated with a bankrupt business yet. But Bush hsa already had his share of putting businesses in the crapper despite the MBA that was handed to him courtesy of Daddy. And in today's Sarbannes-Oxley rules, I don't think that those who flaut SEC rules, laes and regulations are particularly welcomed on boards these days. And I would prefer that Apple not take government subsidies as Goerge took when he got the government to build him that little stadium down Dallas way while displacing scores of small businesses. Nawww, Gore was the better choice!
okay lefty,

don't you think Al Gore is one sad character for being out of work for two years?? I'd trust Bush over Gore anyday. We'd all be dead now if Gore was President.
Another PC to PB17 Switcher
Became the proud new owner of a PB17 on 03/22/03
http://www.mattmargolis.com (Part of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy)

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 20, 2003, 11:52 PM

I think it might be good for you to haul the english part of you out and do a bit of the stiff upper lip routine and ignore this person. I know I'm not really the one to be offering this advice, but trying to have a discussion with him seem to be similar to the experience of talking to a tape recorder on endless loop...

...except that you can switch the tape recorder off when you get irritated enough.
You know what is sad about that tape recorder comment? I can't STAND repeating myself either. I wish I didn't have to.

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Mar 21, 2003, 03:45 AM

Zb sind genau mini gedanke geschter und ht gsi.
All of your posts excel! Thank you theolein.
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules