Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > apple impresses me once again

apple impresses me once again
samson1286
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2004, 12:49 PM

when i first got my powerbook there was some slight warping on the casing around the optical drive. i gave it a good look and decided no harm no foul. later on the warp started to spread along the other side of the casing to a more serious extent. i was not happy, but i decided that it would be more trouble to fix than it was worth. over the weeks i found myself running my finger down the uneven seam. i finally decided that this had to stop and went to the apple store where i purchased my machine. i talked with one of the mad geniuses. i told i have had my book for about 2 - 3 months. i do not have applecare at the moment. although, i definately plan on it before the year is up. i told him to send it off and see if they would fix it. he told me they might not. he also told me that i should make sure to back up anything important because if they find a problem in my drive they would wipe it or replace the drive. i thought it over a second and told him i would take my chances. he was more than helpful and let me know the computer should be at my house within the next 4 or 5 days, 7 tops. i went home and it was quite a nailbiting experience. 2 days later i wake up and there is my laptop. i just now ripped the package open, and... the laptop is in perfect condition. not just the problem fixed, but PERFECT condition. while i was booting up i was worried that they may have given me a new laptop cuz there was some stuff on this one i really did not want to lose. not a file missing. this has made my day.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2004, 01:09 PM

I've found Apple's warranty service to be top-notch. My Ti has been in twice for hinge problems. Each time, the techs have replaced/fixed anything that was even remotely out of spec. The last time my machine came back with everything but the memory, hard drive, airport card and bottom case replaced.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by justinkim:
I've found Apple's warranty service to be top-notch. My Ti has been in twice for hinge problems. Each time, the techs have replaced/fixed anything that was even remotely out of spec. The last time my machine came back with everything but the memory, hard drive, airport card and bottom case replaced.
48 hours from pick up from my house to drop off to correct my white spot problem. Apple care is outstanding.

Voch
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 03:13 PM

Same here. They fixed my TiBook's power connector issue in 48 hours. I also work down the street from an Airborne Express dropoff/pickup store and that make it really convenient.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 03:19 PM

Did ya'll have Applecare or just the stuff that comes with the computer?

Voch
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Did ya'll have Applecare or just the stuff that comes with the computer?
I didn't have AppleCare at the time but bought it a day later while the repair was in progress. Maybe they sped up the repair because of that. And the machine was a refurbished model, too...

Mr Yuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2004, 08:09 PM

Same treatment here - I shipped my TiBook on a Sat before I went on a business trip. Whe I got back in the office on Wed if was delivered just as I was telling my coworker how weird it was not to have it.

They fixed everything including the famouse chipped paint. I reccomend Applecare to anyone who buys a portable.
TiBook DVI 667 768RAM 10.3.3

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 09:12 PM

Despite various problems at times, apple's powerbook treatment really shines compared to the powermac/imac treatment
Aloha

strokemouth
Jun 19, 2004, 12:10 AM

I wouldn't limit Apple's great service just to the Powerbooks though. I had to send my old iBook in twice for the dreaded logic board problem. The second time, I wasn't under warranty (and didn't have Applecare). Not only did they replace the logic board, but they also fixed my broken headphone jack for free.

I luckily have Applecare on my beloved PB now though.
15" PB/1.5 GHz/1.25GB RAM
40GB iPod Photo

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2004, 08:07 AM

Broken hinge = new LCD screen.

Drop in at 9AM, pick up at 10AM.

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2004, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by _?_:
Broken hinge = new LCD screen.

Drop in at 9AM, pick up at 10AM.

Where the hell do you get that kind of service? TekServ NY? No Apple Store is authorized to do that kind of repair (to my knowledge).
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2004, 03:20 PM

I bought applecare when I bought my new 12"PB on this past thursday and I'd be happiest if I never need to invoke it.

However, I do love this thing.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2004, 05:27 PM

about apple stores doing laptop repairs, i think a few tried it out and they might be doing this now.... but definately non-apple stores can do this if they stock the right parts...

about the ibook with the logic board problems... the headphone jack is part of the logic board, so it had to get replaced....

AND...

shameless self plug... i'm selling an applecare for powerbooks...

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Jun 19, 2004, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by justinkim:
I have to say that this is not my experience. Each time I've sent my PB to the repair depot for repair, it came back with something else damaged. For example, when I had the screen hinges on my Pismo replaced, they marred the display bezel a bit where they pried it open. I also believe that they put a small dent in the inside frame of my TiBook, which had been sent back for a motherboard replacement.

My impression of the repair depot is that the people working there are under a lot of time pressure and so can be a bit brusque in their procedures.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2004, 06:09 PM

Le Flaneur, you're not alone.

From what I've seen it CAN definitely be hit and miss, but this almost always occurs more with the ibooks than powerbooks, though powerbooks getting the same treatment isn't unusual.

The funniest part is it's not usually a per case basis but a per customer basis. If you've sent your notebook in with problems and it leaves with problems, expect this treatment for the rest of your time with apple products.

I really don't know how it works and how people get 'flagged' but it seems to only hit certain people and when it does, it happens repeatively.

That still could be a giant coincidence :|
Aloha

abrody
Jun 19, 2004, 08:29 PM

If you get less than steller support, call customer relations. They are at the same number as AppleCare, and you just have to ask for them after you get a case number for your problem. And if customer relations doesn't help you, don't hang up. Ask to speak to a supervisor until someone is willing to hear you out. And be calm and succinct. An angry person is less likely to get support than someone who desires a solution to the problem and maintains their cool.
Check out my index of over 300 Macintosh sites, with links updated monthly at:
http://www.index-site.com

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2004, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by KraziKid:
Where the hell do you get that kind of service? TekServ NY? No Apple Store is authorized to do that kind of repair (to my knowledge).
One advantage of not living in the States. We have stores that are authorised to make repairs. I am sure if you asked nicely you might even be able to watch the surgery!

abrody
Jun 20, 2004, 12:54 AM

One advantage of not living in the States. We have stores that are authorised to make repairs. I am sure if you asked nicely you might even be able to watch the surgery!
Actually hundreds of stores exist in the States that are authorized to do repairs too. So I don't see how that is an advantage. In the U.S. it is called the Authorized Apple Service Center.

Powerbooks and iBooks though frequently have quicker repairs if sent directly to Apple.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 01:09 AM

Note to self: Buy Apple Care. You never know when you might run into Mothra or Godzilla and then BAM, you need to get your Powerbook fixed in a flash.

hoorah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2004, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by Le Flaneur:
I have to say that this is not my experience. Each time I've sent my PB to the repair depot for repair, it came back with something else damaged.

My impression of the repair depot is that the people working there are under a lot of time pressure and so can be a bit brusque in their procedures.
I concur. Apple's good reputation for customer service was part of why I switched (iBook G3, bought November 2003), but I have had four negative experiences with AppleCare. I like my replacement iBook G4 (see below), but I'm unable to say in good faith that it would be a good idea to buy one. No amount of good software and industrial design can overcome poor reliability and service.

I had a logic board fail in February 2004, about two weeks after I first learned about the logic board problem. I had my local Apple retailer send my G3 to AppleCare. It came back with a broken logic board, which was bad; but even worse, AppleCare replaced my working hard drive with an empty one (lesson learned; if your hard drive works, you should still back it up before sending it in).

I sent my G3 back to AppleCare two additional times before giving up. AppleCare somehow saw it fit to swap out the logic board and hard drive each time. AppleCare did not test my G3 post-repair, or it did not do so for any length of time. The G3 was generally unstable and showed signs of logic board failure.

I was eventually able to have AppleCare take back my G3. I was without a working system for 7 weeks. I worry that someone else would have had to wait longer; the Apple employee assigned to my school helped intercede with AppleCare and the local retailer, a task I'm sure took a good amount of time. I'd still be upset with Apple if not for his good work and an iBook G4 that turned up at my house in April 2004. I am still upset with AppleCare.

About a week ago the hard drive began to fail on the G4 I got from AppleCare. I was close to an Apple Store this time around, so I took it in to the one in McLean, Va. I had them send it in to AppleCare, and the Genius I spoke to took good notes about how to confirm the drive was failing (hint: Apple Disk Utility said the drive was failing).

AppleCare got my G4 back to the McLean store (being oh so paranoid about AppleCare by this time, I asked to have it sent back to the store) by the end of the week. AppleCare did nothing with the G4's internals; if someone at AppleCare read what the Apple Genius wrote, I don't think they knew what a 'Failing' SMART status indicated. I imagine they took one look at my system, saw it booted, and shipped it back to Virginia.

Some good people still work for Apple, so I'd like to end my story with an example of someone who goes above and beyond. I was able to get my G4 back on the same day it was sent back to the Apple Store. A Genius at the McLean store was able to find a working hard drive and install it in my G4, which had to be disassembled.

I didn't have to ask; he or someone else at the Apple Store took it upon himself to get my iBook working again. He did so in a short time window, and he even took the time to upgrade the operating system to 10.3.4. I will be back at the Apple Store, but I wish that AppleCare would show the same amount of concern that others at Apple already do.

I hope that people elsewhere do not suffer this often, but I think than an 0 for 4 repair record hints of poor business practices. I imagine that AppleCare staff are overworked and poorly trained, and that 'haste makes waste' is too often a forgotten lesson. I hope this brings some balance to what's been written here; what I've gone through may be atypical, but I also think I'm not alone.

(I'm writing this on my G4, not on the G3 I bought in November or on the boxy old PC I had before then; if AppleCare makes a mistake, complain and you will eventually get it fixed. If you don't, you will probably prevail in small claims court.)

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by abrody:
Actually hundreds of stores exist in the States that are authorized to do repairs too. So I don't see how that is an advantage. In the U.S. it is called the Authorized Apple Service Center.

Powerbooks and iBooks though frequently have quicker repairs if sent directly to Apple.
Is this the case for laptops?

I have three that are within 10km of where I live - and have really looked for more.

For most people they seem to need to either do a lot of travelling or need to send it in.

Or is your real beef with the fact that I said it was an advantage of not living in the States, that you came up with such a condescending reply???

abrody
Jun 20, 2004, 08:01 AM

Is this the case for laptops?

I have three that are within 10km of where I live - and have really looked for more.

For most people they seem to need to either do a lot of travelling or need to send it in.

Or is your real beef with the fact that I said it was an advantage of not living in the States, that you came up with such a condescending reply???
Well you made it sound like there were none in the States. That simply isn't true, as you have illustrated yourself. Most people in the States live near major urban centers where these stores can be found. It is those that don't that you hear from as not being able to get to a repair shop. You have to remember there are large areas of the States nowhere near an urban center.

blah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2004, 11:53 PM

My experiences have been good. A couple of years ago my Apple Studio Display 17 started doing the whole "popping" thing. Not sure if you all are familiar with this problem, but they probably should have done a recall on these things. Anyway, they fixed it and I had no more problems... until last month. It started again, popping very loudly and going on and off... Called apple, and even though it is WELL out of warranty, I received a box the next day, mailed my monitor out Thursday and had it back Monday. All for free.

schuss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2004, 01:43 AM

i've always had great experiences... whether on my wallstreet PB, the new (well, 2 yrs new) TiBook... even my iPod. my iPod headphone cable was bending a bit after 6 months of daily use, i carried it into the Apple store and walked out with a brand new one in under 5 minutes, no cost, no paperwork.

the one time my TiBook went in the mail (for chipping paint) it came back with not only an almost completely replaced set of outer panels but a cleaned screen and nicely-wound cables tied up with twist ties (i had sent it as pretty much a jumbled mess).

always very impressed.

at work i call in authorized on-site service for dell notebooks and desktops often, send acer notebooks to texas for repairs, and work with various other support organizations (compaq, hp, epson, canon, ricoh, brother). my personal experiences with apple have always been at least as good, often better, than any of these other hardware vendors. despite occasional snafus, i think they have their heads in the right place as an organization.
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow

AgBlue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2004, 02:46 AM

My friend has one of the first gen 12in PB, and his is suffering from the warped case with missing feet that melted off due to heat. His decided to try to live with it, but when his hard drive went out, he decided to get both fixed. He told Apple about both problems.

The system came back, case still warped and no feet, but the drive was fixed at least. Owell.

Just this past month, his drive went out again. Told Apple to be sure to look at the case and replace it due to heat warping. Again, the drive came back with the hard drive being replaced and that's it.

He pretty much gave up hope that he'll get it fixed. Kinda sucks they didn't fix it. The laptop spins like a ninja turtle on its back when it's on a flat surface.

AgBlue

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by AgBlue:
My friend has one of the first gen 12in PB, and his is suffering from the warped case with missing feet that melted off due to heat.
By does he not attach new feet? They are actually quite important as far as heat dissapation goes.

Apple should have attached them, but in reality any monkey with glue should be able to perform this procedure!

Forum Links
Forum Rules