Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anti-virus/Firewall Programs?

Anti-virus/Firewall Programs?
Mmmmmoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 12:54 AM

I'm obviously new to the whole Mac OS thing or else I wouldn't be asking. Just got myself a new iBook G4 and wireless internet is gold. I've done a lot of searching on these forums for answers to my questions regarding antivirus and firewall programs and I've come to the following conclusions:

1) Antivirus isn't absolutely necesssary,
2) Firewall is included and is available in the OS itself, and
3) The chances of getting a virus or getting hacked into is pretty slim if you're smart about these things.

So, basically I'm just wondering whether I can go about by not getting any antivirus programs at all. Same goes for the firewall. I figure since there aren't many viruses and other such baddies targetted towards the Mac anyway, I can save myself the time and money. And since Mac OS X already has a built in firewall, I can just use that.

Keep in mind, while I use the iBook mostly at home behind a router/firewall. I would like to bring it to school as well where they do have wireless internet set up. Also, not sure if this matters but since it's an IT school, 99% of all the computers there are PCs. I've only seen 2 iBooks and 1 PowerBook in the entire computer building, compared to the majority that are PCs.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.
(Sorry for the long post, didn't realize I typed so much.)
Needs more cowbell!

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 02:15 AM

As of right now there are zero viruses for OS X. I wouldn't bother spending the money on one. The firewall built into OS X is just as good as a third party firewall. If you want more control over the firewall you may have to go with a third party vendor.

It is still possible for you to spread an infected file to someone even though it won't do anything to your system. I'm not sure which anti-virus program for Macs will scan for Windows viruses. I don't think Norton does but I could be wrong.

As it stands right now I wouldn't spend any cash on those items. Save up and get more RAM.

Mmmmmoo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 02:24 AM

Thanks for the advice. I've already upgraded the RAM to 768MB, so I'm just saving up for iLife '05 (just for iPhoto) + Mac OS X Tiger.
Needs more cowbell!

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 02:40 AM

When did you get the iBook? If you purchased it after iLife 05' was release you should have gotten it with your iBook.

Mmmmmoo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 02:59 AM

Actually got it right before Christmas. Guess I should've waited, but I really wanted to buy myself something for an early Christmas present.

I also just realized it's taken me nearly three years to buy a mac, if you notice the date at which I registered here.
Needs more cowbell!

Forum Links
Forum Rules