Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Transferring Photos from a Nokia

Transferring Photos from a Nokia
Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 06:07 AM

I will probably be upgrading to a Nokia 6101 cellular phone soon, and as a preemptive measure, I am trying to figure out how to transfer photos from this camera phone to my Mac. I'm not interested in any other kind of data transfer-- not address book, calendar or otherwise-- merely photo transfer. I figure that a camera phone which from which I cannot transfer photos to my Mac is practically worthless as a camera phone.

I am not content to allow photos merely to live in a little island world in a phone which will, in due time, become obsolete, or be stolen, broken or lost. For photos to have some kind of permanence with me, I need to be able to have and manipulate them in a trusty computer, and not just have them reside solely in a minute and vulnerable metal and plastic two-way microwave radio.

Sooo-- anybody have any idea of how to do this?
( Last edited by Gamoe; May 10, 2006 at 04:44 AM. Reason: To Expand and Clarify Topic)

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 10:37 AM

I'm not familiar with that model, but if its storage is expandable via some kind of flash cards (usuallly miniSD or RS-MMC on Nokias), then it should store the phone in a DCIM folder on the root of the card, and if you get a data cable for it, OS X will treat it like any old digital camera and you can import directly into iPhoto (or Image Capture) when you plug it in. If it only has internal memory, then it may not work that way, but might be seen as a removable drive using a data cable. And of course, if it has Bluetooth, you can pair it with your Mac and just send inidvidual pictures, though that's obviously pretty annoying.

Long story short: there's probably a way to do it. Consider searching or asking around at http://nokia.howardforums.com (or, if it's a Series 60 smartphone, http://series60.howardforums.com ) for a more specific answer.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 04:45 AM

Now I'm considering other phones as well. Specifically, the Samsung e635, Samsung t509 and the Motorola RAZR V3 in that order, because of my preference and price. Now hw whole issue is whether I can easily and freely transfer pictures from said phone into my Mac. I particularly like the Samsung e635, but as far as I can tell it only has an IR port, and I can find no information on whether I can transfer photos to my Mac with this phone this way or not. The latter two phones have Bluetooth, so I figure there's more of a chance there, but still I haven't been able to get any concrete info on this-- it's like for the Mac it's a fun trail-and-error method only. It's upsetting at how these companies simply don't care to include official Mac support.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 11:10 AM

Almost any phone with Bluetooth should be able to do it, albeit at slow Bluetooth data rates, and likely only one picture at a time.. I've transferred pictures from my GF's Samsung phone to a Mac via Bluetooth, so I'd be very surprised if those other'uns can't.

That said, I wouldn't consider a phone that's not iSync compatible, and so far, no Samsung phones are. But if you don't care, I guess it's no biggy.

WhyNot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2006, 11:10 PM

Connecting with bluetooth works fine for file transfer but there is no syncing with address book, so, I can confirm the samsung t509 is a nice phone but it doesn't feel like mine if doesn't sync with apple's isync, its a major bummer!

Litflynt912
May 22, 2006, 02:54 PM

Nokia 6101s here do not have Bluetooth.

Try a Nokia 6620 (or perhaps 6600 where you are). You'll love the Series 60/Symbian OS, and transferring files, movies, music is infinitely easier than with phones that require data cable transfer, although it does that too.

Definitely go for a bluetooth phone.
Macbook 1.83CD 512/60GB/And yes....BootCamp w/XP
2nd Gen Shuffle
1st Gen Nano 1GB Black & White
5th Gen 30GB iPod
Nintendo Wii
Xbox 360
PS3 20GB

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2006, 05:18 PM

If you want to get a Symbian phone, then I would suggest you to get a 6630 or a 6680 (which I have). Or even an N70. The 6600 is very slow IMO, actually too slow for me. I seriously disliked the Symbian OS when I used the 6600, until my father got the 6630. The 7610 is also not too bad, but it looks more stylish and has a 'different' keypad.

Good luck!
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

Forum Links
Forum Rules