Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X Leopard Family Pack?

Mac OS X Leopard Family Pack?
seaofcrap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2007, 06:38 AM

I have a question about purchasing the family pack.

I understand that it's for a "single residence". However, is it possible to register the family pack with multiple different users? With different addresses, email address, Mac accounts, etc? I definitely want my family to upgrade all our computers to Leopard; however, we each have different Mac accounts and such.
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz Glossy

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2007, 07:32 AM

Why would you register a copy of OS X? And even if you did need to register, wouldn't a family pack be pretty useless if it only supported one user?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 08:52 AM

Apple doesn't tie your installation of Mac OS X or your resigtration to your license in any way. In fact, the only difference between the Family Pack and the single-user versions are the sticker on the box, and an extra sheet of paper in the box that gives you the legal right to install it on up to 5 differenct computers. When you "register" a Mac, Apple can't tell the difference if you bought the Single-User Pack, Family Pack, or Happy Pirate Pack.

In fact, I have two Tiger CD's -- one was bought as part of the Family Pack, and one is a single-user copy that I got with the used 12" PB I bought last year. I've lost track of which is which, but it doesn't matter.

(And I don't have the license in front of me, but I believe the terms of the license are up to five people in the "same household", not "same residence", which probably makes a difference.)

Of course, this is all based on what Apple has done in the past, and it's possible that Apple will start to get more strict in the future. But I doubt it, especially since the perils of Activation on Windows is one of the reasons why people may switch to Apple.

Scott-G
Jul 12, 2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by seaofcrap View Post
I have a question about purchasing the family pack.

I understand that it's for a "single residence". However, is it possible to register the family pack with multiple different users? With different addresses, email address, Mac accounts, etc? I definitely want my family to upgrade all our computers to Leopard; however, we each have different Mac accounts and such.
You don't need to register the software for it to work, but you can only have it on up to 5 computers and they must be in the same household (residence). Multiple account names and emails are not a problem.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2007, 03:58 PM

If you live in different places, you're not technically allowed to use the family pack, which is for one household. Apple is traditionally very lax about enforcing OS X's license, but the restriction is kind of enforced by the fact that the family pack only includes one DVD.

How many users or e-mail addresses or whatever you have on a computer makes no difference — the license just says that the software can be installed on five computers and they all have to be in the same household.

(Note: I'm not a lawyer and so forth, but I still think I'm right.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules