Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Start-Up Chime is Loud; and Repair Permissions Question

Start-Up Chime is Loud; and Repair Permissions Question
Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2003, 11:54 PM

G'day,

I've had a PowerMac 1.25ghz model for about 3 weeks and it has been great. Two questions I need help with:

1) When I turn it on, the start up chime is really loud, even though the volume on the computer is turned to midway and is not loud for any other use. How can I adjust the start up chime so it's not so loud?

2) I've been told it's a good idea to periodicly Repair Permissions using Disk Utility. Pogue's OSX Missing Manual says that to repair permissions on "your start-up disk" one must insert the Mac OSX install DVD and restart using cmd-C.

In what circumstances would I need to repair permissions on the start-up disk? Should I do that periodicly as well, or just stick the normal Repair Permissions that doesn't involve a restart?

Thanks!

pinkoos
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2003, 07:10 PM

Hi,

I've actually got the same problem with the start-up chime...really loud, despite all other system sounds being normal level.

I tried searching the Apple support forums but couldn't find any posts related to this.

Hopefully someone will help.

bosolevu
Jul 29, 2003, 12:54 AM

same here.....help!

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2003, 08:17 AM

I have the same problem with my Dual 1.42. In addition to that, the volume ALWAYS is all the way up on login, regardless of what I left it at.

Anyone have any insight to this?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2003, 10:52 AM

I can adjust my sound by booting into OS9 and lowering the volume there. I'm not sure why that works vs OSX, so if you have one of those machines that cannot boot into OS9 I don't have a clue.

I have found that I need to repair permissions only when I apply an update from apple 10.2.5 -> 10.2.6. Otherwise they seem good, and to boot from the cd, it holding the "C" key not cmd-c, obviously you the setup cd in the drive, once it boots up don't go through the setup but click on the menu to select disk tools (or something, I'm going from memory). From the disk tools you can check and/or repair the drive.

good Luck
Mike

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2003, 03:54 PM

Plug some headphones in, problem solved

Starry Night  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2003, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by pinkoos:
Hi,

I've actually got the same problem with the start-up chime...really loud, despite all other system sounds being normal level.

I tried searching the Apple support forums but couldn't find any posts related to this.

Hopefully someone will help.
I've done a few more experiments. In OSX (10.2.6), I lowered the volume from mid level, to about 25%. On start-up, the chime is just as loud as ever. However, if I lower the volume as far down as it will go, then the chime is completely silent upon start-up. Guess the chime is either real loud, or dead silent, there's no middle ground.

I called Apple, they suggested to do Apple-Opion-P-R during start up and let the chime sound 3 times. Release the keys and let it boot up.

But it still didn't fix the problem. They also suggested to buy a pair of external speakers.

That's ok, this machine has been absolutely great over the past 3 weeks, I don't mind a little oddity here and there as long as it keeps on performing well.....

coolmacdude
Senior User
Jul 29, 2003, 09:53 PM

You do not need to boot from the CD/DVD to repair permissions. Just open disk utility and click repair permissions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules