Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bring Finder Forward

Bring Finder Forward
Orion27
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 07:41 AM

I read that clicking on the desktop should bring open finder windows forward. This doesn't work for me.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2003, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by Orion27:
I read that clicking on the desktop should bring open finder windows forward. This doesn't work for me.
Not in OSX.

Click the smiley face in the dock.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2003, 07:53 AM

Yes, it doesn't work that way for me too, neither. And never has. Clicking on the desktop gives the Finder focus... but doesn't promote Finder windows to the top. But clicking on the Finder icon in the dock does.

However, if you have DragThing installed you can set an option to bring all windows of an application forward on switching to it... and then clicking on the desktop *will* bring Finder windows to the front.
( Last edited by eggman; Nov 1, 2003 at 07:58 AM. )

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 08:07 AM

Clicking on the desktop seems more intuitive to me than going to the Finder icon in the dock, especially if its hidden. Is there a reason for not allowing this?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2003, 08:31 AM

Clicking on the desktop seems more intuitive to me than going to the Finder icon in the dock, especially if its hidden. Is there a reason for not allowing this?
Yes,

in OS9 the focus was application based
is OSX its window based

You can have 1 finder window at the back and 1 at the front now. All windows belonging to the same app are not forced to be at the same level.

To make them all jump to the top level click the dock icon.

FYI: You can also move windows (and click some buttons) in the background while holding the apple Key.

I like it.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by eggman:
However, if you have DragThing installed you can set an option to bring all windows of an application forward on switching to it... and then clicking on the desktop *will* bring Finder windows to the front.
On this Mac, I did an update install with Panther and I am getting all of an application's windows coming to the front when I click on an inactive one.
If I switch to another user, it works correctly. I may have installed DragThing at one time on this Mac. However, it is really annoying to have ALL windows come to the front when clicking just one inactive one.
Does anyone know where this setting is held, in which plist file? It must be in the ~/Library/Preferences as the other user doesn't exhibit this abhorrent action. After using OS X for so long, going back to an OS 9 windowing paradigm sucks.

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 10:00 AM

I'm sorry, I'm late to the party as usual. The windows to the front paradigm has obviously been discussed at length before. This is what I love about this forum. I just wanted a quick way to bring the finder to the front. A mouse click on the desktop seemed natural.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 10:27 AM

Well I renamed my preferences folder after many attempts to fix the windows coming forward problem. Then I logged out and back in, copied important plist files from renamed preferences folder and all works good now.
It even seems faster.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 05:21 PM

I'm sorry, I'm late to the party as usual. The windows to the front paradigm has obviously been discussed at length before. This is what I love about this forum. I just wanted a quick way to bring the finder to the front. A mouse click on the desktop seemed natural.
Isn't it great? Any chance to discuss interface philosophy, we'll grab it.

So, just a quick way to switch to the Finder, w/o going all the way to Dock and clicking the Finder icon? As I see it, you have three altnernative options:

1. You can command-tab over.

2. You can command-option-click the desktop, which will hide everything except the Finder.

3. Keep a Finder window open, and use Expos�.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by lookmark:
3. Keep a Finder window open, and use Expos�.
Folks, we have a winner

dharknes
Nov 1, 2003, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by lookmark:
2. You can command-option-click the desktop, which will hide everything except the Finder.
Wow I really need to start reading the hot keys from the menu. That's a cool trick.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2003, 08:00 PM

Or use this, Classic Window Managment

Haven't tried it Panther. What's nice is that it gives you the option of using both methods and not limited to just the Finder but to all apps.

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2003, 08:11 PM

At one point I wrote a program that gave me classic window mode as I could not leave that paradigm and then switched to classic window management (as my program was pretty sloppy ). I find it nice to just click on a little bit of a program and the whole thing pops up; I suppose we all use the OS differently.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 09:04 PM

When I click on the desktop I don't want my applications suddenly being placed behind Finder windows. Makes no sense. If I want the Finder I click on it in the Dock.

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 09:22 AM

I just discovered a neat little preference in the app iClock. I use it to supplement my Mac's date and time. Just after the date, small icon of the app you are in shows. Click on it and a drop down menue shows all running apps. Click on finder and it brings forward a Finder window. Faster than going to the dock for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules