Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Trouble Up-dating 9.04 to 9.1 with CD

Trouble Up-dating 9.04 to 9.1 with CD
Ry�kan
Jan 7, 2003, 09:35 PM

We've got a G3 iMac running 9.04. My wife is Japanese, so it's got the Japanese foreign language kit installed.

We're trying to get to OS X, ideally with OS 9.2; but that requires OS 9.1 first. Because of the foreign language kit installed, Apple says we have to up-grade to 9.1 with the CD. Well, I've got the CD.

The problem is that the iMac doesn't recognize the 9.1 CD as a start-up disk. Holding down the "C" key doesn't work; it still boots with the Hard Drive. Clicking on the 9.1 installer gives a message saying, "You have to boot from the 9.1 CD," because of the foreign language kit.

Any ideas? Much thanks,

Ry�kan
[email protected]

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2003, 08:49 AM

Can you boot to the HD, and select the CD using the control panel as startup, then reboot?

Is it a original Apple CD or a copy? Improperly made copies sometimes won't boot.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Ry�kan  (op)
Jan 8, 2003, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it's an Apple CD. (It worked fine in my iBook.)

And, sorry to say, I tried the "start-up disk" method. I also got an error message -- the iMac didn't recognize the CD as having a system to start from.

--Ry�kan

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2003, 08:21 AM

Wait a minute... you are trying to use an iBook CD to start an iMac? I think that's your problem. You need a full retail 9.1 CD.

Did the iMac come with a 9.0.4 boot CD? Can you boot from that? You need to determine that booting to any CD will work. Once you know that something isn't wrong with the CD-ROM, you can try different CDs.]

Do you have an OSX CD around? Try booting that (just don't install OSX).

Ry�kan  (op)
Jan 9, 2003, 03:03 PM

Thanks for your in-put. You know, I posted this message on both the OS 9 and OS X sections. I up-dated the info on the OS X section, but hadn't here.

Turns out I had made a mistake -- So, I'm sorry for misleading you all.

The CD I was trying to boot with was an OS 9.1 update CD. It has no system, so it can't be used as a boot CD. That solves that mystery. There's nothing wrong with the CD drive -- it will boot from a CD that has a system.

And, yes, we have an OS X 10.2 CD.

But I'm still uncertain how to proceed. Our goal is to get the G3 iMAC to run OS X, with a working OS 9 system on it as well. I'd rather not have to buy a full OS 9.1 CD. Apple's web-site says that for OS X to have Classic, OS 9.04 won't work -- it requires OS 9.1 or 9.2. And the 9.2 up-date requires 9.1 first.

So, I'm trying to get the iMac up-graded to OS 9.1; then I can up-date to 9.2. And then I'll load OS X.

I'm thinking of trying to use the OS 9.1 "Software Install" CD that came with my iBook -- i.e., use the iBook CD on the iMac. Is that a bad idea?

Also, someone on the OS X thread mentioned that we may need a firmware update of something first, otherwise 9.2 or OS X will cause problems. So, I'm concerned with that, too.

In light of these additional facts/concerns, any sound advice someone might have would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ry�kan

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2003, 04:16 PM

Ry�kan, if it's any help I upgraded my imac G3 to OSX from 9.04. I did it via the software updates available from download from apple.

I.e. 9.04 to 9.1. Then 9.1 to 9.2, etc etc. Got there eventually. And everything works ok. Obviously a complete arse compared to CDs, but it's an option if you have a faster enough internet connection.

The firmware update will probably be required but there is more information available at the apple download section and in the update readme files.

9.1 update

9.2.1 update

9.2.2 update

Ry�kan  (op)
Jan 9, 2003, 05:13 PM

Thanks, but will that work given that we have a foreign language kit installed on 9.04?

I got a message along the way that said 9.1 and later have the foreign language kit included, which means (for reasons I don't fully understand) that the on-line upgrade doesn't work; 9.1 has to come from a CD.

Like you, I also did a series of up-dates to my iBook, via the downloads. It took hours and hours, and a few of them aborted in mid-stream, meaning I had to do it all over. I'd set it up to do at night. But, yes, eventually they worked.

But for the iMac, I'm still curious whether it's risky to use an iBook CD to install a system on an iMac. I can see that a few keyboard preferences may be different, but the G3 chips are the same, and I'm thinking it may work fine. However, I'd love for someone with experience to let me know.

-- Ry�kan

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2003, 08:09 AM

If you have OS9 on it's own partition, you can install Jaguar on a second partition, but you just won't be able to use Classic within OSX.

I think you have to observe the 8GB limit on your iMac though. I forget the details.

Forum Links
Forum Rules