Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ibook 500 logic board swap

Ibook 500 logic board swap
Mistah_P
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2002, 02:10 PM

Hi!
I have an IBook 500 DVD that is unsellable (It hit the pavement a couple of times), And I need QE (Radeon). I am presently unemployed, so I can't buy a new machine. My Question: Is it possible to swap the logic board with one from a newer IBook? (If i found one on Ebay). Are the dimensions right? Are the LCD connectors the same? I am aware of the difficulies of opening the 'Book, but I will have to open it anyway (If I don't find a new logic board, I will at least overclock my mobo to 600mhz).

Thanks,
Mistah_P

ibook_steve
Nov 13, 2002, 02:20 PM

No. The logic board shape changed with the machines introduced earlier this year to accommodate a larger fan, and the heatsink changed to accommodate the new Sahara processor (it has the die on top of the chip as opposed to the metal case of the previous CPU). The connectors are all the same, but the shapes are different. Sorry.

Steve

Mistah_P  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2002, 02:24 PM

Impossible even with some Dremel work and soldering?

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Nov 13, 2002, 04:09 PM

yeah, I would love to hear more about this, I was thinking something similar....

Mistah_P  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2002, 06:41 PM

This is my principal computer and I use it mostly for Photoshop and Flash. (In classic... It's just not useable under Jaguar.2)

Anyone here OC'ed their mobo to 600? Is Jaguar useable (at least, more than on my 500mhz w/384Mb ram) for my use? Will I be happy with my system if I OC it and replace my 256Mb ram for a 512 one?

Questions, questions...

ibook_steve
Nov 13, 2002, 09:56 PM

No, it simply doesn't fit. You can't dremel a circuit board or change the heat sink and hope that the iBook still works. The best motherboard swap you can get with your case is a 600/100 board from the iBooks released in fall 2001.

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules