Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I just got some info on the 17in delays...

I just got some info on the 17in delays...
Thread Tools
drainyoo
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ny,Ny,USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 04:00 PM
 
I cant reveal the source but its pretty reliable.

The 17in have been delayed because of the Aluminum casing. Apple was trying to make it Brushed Aluminum but by doing so it made the outer shell very thin. When the shell became hot, it would start to bend and loss its shape, creating dents and bubbles. They are trying to solve the problem.

It could be bullshit but I doubt it. You never know.
i hate project managers.
     
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Illinois
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 04:04 PM
 
Unless I am mistaken, brushed alumnium is a completely different look from the 12" case and the 17" models that have been on display. Doesn't seem likely.
     
ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 04:20 PM
 
No way they are doing the brushed aluminum thing...
and furthermore...

I'm <holding thumb and index finger a centimeter apart> this close to cancelling my order and going back to a Windows based machine.

I think it is too much for APPLE to ask of new switchers like myself, to wait and wait without any word as to WHY! the powerbooks 17" are delayed. I say delayed because they are! you can get a 12" with 1 to 2 days lag on the apple site. What gives with the 17"????
...
     
JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NYC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 04:20 PM
 
I doubt it. Have you ever run the back of a fingernail against the grain of a brushed aluminum surface? It's worse than rubbing a fork against china, or nails across a chalkboard. I shivver just thinking about it. Besides, brushed aluminum picks up dust and dirt due to the jagged surface.
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!
     
LosJackal
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 04:26 PM
 
Originally posted by ghost_flash:
I'm <holding thumb and index finger a centimeter apart> this close to cancelling my order and going back to a Windows based machine.

I think it is too much for APPLE to ask of new switchers like myself, to wait and wait without any word as to WHY! the powerbooks 17" are delayed. I say delayed because they are! you can get a 12" with 1 to 2 days lag on the apple site. What gives with the 17"????
The 17" isn't late yet. If you ordered on day one, you would have seen a 7-10 week wait. That ends a week from tomorrow.

Cancel afterwards if you must, but don't do it based on emotion. You're switching for a reason. Three years down the road (which is how old this PowerBook I'm typing on right now) one more week, or the whole 10 weeks of waiting for a new product to ship, will seem trivial in retrospect.
"Sawtooth" G4 450 desktop + SuperDrive
"Pismo" G3 500 PowerBook SOLD!
"Hammerhead" G4 PowerBook arrived!
www.canyouhearmenow.com
     
drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ny,Ny,USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 04:32 PM
 
Originally posted by ghost_flash:
No way they are doing the brushed aluminum thing...
and furthermore...

I'm <holding thumb and index finger a centimeter apart> this close to cancelling my order and going back to a Windows based machine.

I think it is too much for APPLE to ask of new switchers like myself, to wait and wait without any word as to WHY! the powerbooks 17" are delayed. I say delayed because they are! you can get a 12" with 1 to 2 days lag on the apple site. What gives with the 17"????
Dude for the love of god PLEASE dont cancel your order and get a PC. PLEASE! Just hold out, it will be so worth it man. Trust me.
i hate project managers.
     
ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 04:34 PM
 
Originally posted by LosJackal:
The 17" isn't late yet. If you ordered on day one, you would have seen a 7-10 week wait. That ends a week from tomorrow.

Cancel afterwards if you must, but don't do it based on emotion. You're switching for a reason. Three years down the road (which is how old this PowerBook I'm typing on right now) one more week, or the whole 10 weeks of waiting for a new product to ship, will seem trivial in retrospect.

7-10 week wait.... was not apparent to me after being told by the Manager of the store I bought the unit from said MID-FEB.
Where on earth did he get that date from I wonder. (Mr. Jobs)

Emotion is only a fraction of the drama going on.
I've been reading all the 12" posts on heat issues, battery, not waking from sleep, etc... my GOD, if I get this thing after waiting so long and have to deal with more crap, then what!
You'll say what then?

I'm paying a PREMIUM for what is to be a solid product, and I have to say it had better be solid.

Back to the date:

I was counting on the MID FEB. date for my school started then.
I'm paying mega bucks to get a masters and am not happy having to travel to 4 diff. libraries in order to get my work done.

I need a computer and if It isn't forthcoming or there is ZERO news from apple as to why, then WTF! That's just poor Public Relations and customer care.

I do also realize in the scheme of things, a week is but a blink.
Oh my god I've come down with poetry!!!! See what has happend!
I'm rhyming now.
Happy!?

gag.

peace out.


...
     
Raidiant
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 04:42 PM
 
I don't know too much chemistry but from the stuff i've learned in biochemistry. That situation doesn't seem likely. I am more toe the fact that screen is so thing that the screen could easily crack when you put it into a bag.
     
chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Mar 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 04:48 PM
 
Dude, I have followed your saga as it has unfolded in a number of different threads here.

My advice to you is simple. Cancel the 17-inch order, do it now. Then go find a deal on a new TiBook 1GHz and pimp it to the max, 1GB of RAM, Bluetooth adapter, and get yourself a third party 802.11g card. You will save tons of money, have a GREAT computer, will avoid all the Rev A issues, and you will have it right away. If the screen size is a big deal, use the money you saved to get a nice 17" flat panel.

You sound like any gremlins in your 17-inch are going to send you into a fit of rage, and if you stick with the 17-inch you are going to have some gremlins - count on it.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"
     
OSXFreak
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Good old Blighty (UK)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 04:53 PM
 
ghost_flash, relax, it's going to be OK.

Just remember that unhappy people are far more vocal than people who are satisfied. As such, it's easy to read the negative feedback in these forums and arrive at an inaccurate conclusion. Remember that Apple have shipped 1000's of 12" powerbooks and even if you read 10 bad comments, in percentage terms it's totally insignificant.

Just know that you're not on your own in this wait. I'm with you man.

Prospective 17" owners unite!

PS I'm a switcher too
I merely like XP; I'm having a passionate love affair with OS X
     
urrl5201
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Florida
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 04:53 PM
 
After all this waiting I had better see Mini Me in a Fedex outfit at my front door hand me the 17" with a big smile. Steve Jobs better be driving the truck.
     
ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 04:56 PM
 
Originally posted by OSXFreak:
ghost_flash, relax, it's going to be OK.

Just remember that unhappy people are far more vocal than people who are satisfied. As such, it's easy to read the negative feedback in these forums and arrive at an inaccurate conclusion. Remember that Apple have shipped 1000's of 12" powerbooks and even if you read 10 bad comments, in percentage terms it's totally insignificant.

Just know that you're not on your own in this wait. I'm with you man.

Prospective 17" owners unite!

PS I'm a switcher too
You are all right, I have to take a few deep breaths and meditate.

ohhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm
ohhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm
ohhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmygodwherethef&12W##ismy17"



Even if I couldn't wait any longer, my wife told me I can't cancel the order. I asked and got an earful, so how about dat!

...
     
OSXFreak
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Good old Blighty (UK)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 05:09 PM
 
If you cancel now, you'll never know how good it could've been.

It's an exciting trip, and this is just the beginning.....

I merely like XP; I'm having a passionate love affair with OS X
     
maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Victoria, BC Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 05:11 PM
 
My 17" is "supposed" to ship tomorrow. The order status site still says 03/11/2003. So, while technically it is not late as of this writing, I'm not all that hopefull that I'll recieve an email with "your order #<blah blah> has shipped" in the header by this time tomorrow. I too am a switcher and the wait is killing me. I'm deploying to the middle east soon and if it doesn't arrive by then, it'll be interesting to see how they get it to me when I'm sailing half way around the world. C'est la vie.

Cheers
"Hermann Goering would have been better than Rimmer. Okay, he was a drug-crazed transvestite
but at least we could have gone dancing" - David Lister 3rd Technician JMCS Red Dwarf

PowerBook G4 17"
ADS External FW HD Enclosure w/ a WD120Gb 7200 RPM Drive
30Gb iPod
Logitech MX500 Optical Mouse
Logitech Elite Keyboard
Sony SJ22 Clie'
Powermate
Powerwave
iCurve
iBot Pro (Deceased)
iSight
     
cwasko
Senior User
Join Date: Jul 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 05:14 PM
 
Originally posted by OSXFreak:
It's an exciting trip, and this is just the beginning.....

I was hoping it was the end actualy... the end of the 'wait'.
     
Hollywood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Netherlands
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 06:17 PM
 
Originally posted by drainyoo:
I cant reveal the source but its pretty reliable.

The 17in have been delayed because of the Aluminum casing. Apple was trying to make it Brushed Aluminum but by doing so it made the outer shell very thin. When the shell became hot, it would start to bend and loss its shape, creating dents and bubbles. They are trying to solve the problem.

It could be bullshit but I doubt it. You never know.

The info I got about the delay is that there are some technical problems with the new superdrive. As you know, it's a 4x DVD, what means much more heat, and that seems to be a problem.
In the early day (end of 2002), the roll out should take place, just after the notification by Steve. Since then they are trying to solve the problem.
Oh men, I'm getting hot by the thoughts that some day this problem will be solved.
Don't believe what you see.
See it and Believe it.

Richard Hollywood
Hollywood Special After Effects
www.hollywoodsae.com
     
PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 06:28 PM
 
Originally posted by ghost_flash:
No way they are doing the brushed aluminum thing...
and furthermore...

I'm <holding thumb and index finger a centimeter apart> this close to cancelling my order and going back to a Windows based machine.

I think it is too much for APPLE to ask of new switchers like myself, to wait and wait without any word as to WHY! the powerbooks 17" are delayed. I say delayed because they are! you can get a 12" with 1 to 2 days lag on the apple site. What gives with the 17"????
I'll take this thought one step further: Microsoft, at very least, gives you a roadmap with respect to what's coming down the pike (Longhorn, Blackcomb, etc.). Ditto for Intel and its CPU roadmap, both for desktops as well as mobile machines. I find it MASSIVELY annoying that Apple says nothing -- not even the slightest acknowledgement -- regarding their current hardware issue, let alone a hint to prospective customers as to what new things can be expected down the line.

If the PPC970 is going to be used, the dammit, hint at it. Acknowledge that you're looking at it. Acknowledge that at least you're looking at alternatives to the Motorola mess you're in now.

Suprise and mystery is great for toys and rock bands. For people buying a tool with which they have to earn their living, it's decidedly uncool.
( Last edited by PoisonTooth; Mar 10, 2003 at 06:34 PM. )
     
PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 06:32 PM
 
Originally posted by drainyoo:
Dude for the love of god PLEASE dont cancel your order and get a PC. PLEASE! Just hold out, it will be so worth it man. Trust me.
Not to be a jackass, but have you used a 17" extensively? Do you have one? No?

Then you have no idea if waiting will be "worth it" or not.

Here's my prediction, and I'm sad to have to say it: the 17"s are being rushed, because the delays = lost business over time. Because they're being rushed, to whatever degree, there will be problems with the first batch(es).

I would love to be wrong on this -- I really would -- but in a month's time, when people start getting their 17"s (assuming they have them by then, of course), we will see lots of problem threads with the 17" PB. I can feel it.

Sigh.
     
Dougmc
Forum Regular
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Indianapolis
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 07:00 PM
 
Isn't it a contridiction to say that something is being rushed because of delay?

I'm okay with a delay, even if it is weeks away IF it is for a solid, non-controllable reason—i.e.- implementing better technology that is at hand.

It's the not knowing that should be the issue. Speculation is what is fueling all of these threads. If Apple were forthcoming with the status of the production of these machines, little criticism would be heard.
     
CBoldman
Forum Regular
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 07:18 PM
 
I dont know about you guys, but I would rather have a superior product and wait a few extra weeks then get it to soon and be stuck with a $3200 machine that has problems. Lik everything else in life, patients is the key. Just a little longer....lol you've all done so well this far, soon it will come
     
LosJackal
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 07:41 PM
 
Originally posted by PoisonTooth:
I'll take this thought one step further: Microsoft, at very least, gives you a roadmap with respect to what's coming down the pike (Longhorn, Blackcomb, etc.). Ditto for Intel and its CPU roadmap, both for desktops as well as mobile machines. I find it MASSIVELY annoying that Apple says nothing -- not even the slightest acknowledgement -- regarding their current hardware issue, let alone a hint to prospective customers as to what new things can be expected down the line.
Software and hardware are markedly different industries. Please name other computer makers that tell you what you want to know.

IBM, AMD, and Motorola do comment on where their hardware research is heading, because they need strategic business partners to buy their components in mass quantities. Not consumers who only buy one computer every couple of years.

Think about it...if Apple says they're going to launch a new PowerMac in September with a 970 chip, don't you think it will prevent a lot of orders between now and then?
"Sawtooth" G4 450 desktop + SuperDrive
"Pismo" G3 500 PowerBook SOLD!
"Hammerhead" G4 PowerBook arrived!
www.canyouhearmenow.com
     
PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 07:47 PM
 
Originally posted by LosJackal:
Software and hardware are markedly different industries. Please name other computer makers that tell you what you want to know.
I don't understand your argument. I already gave you an example of both a software company (Microsoft) and hardware company (Intel) that tell customers where they're headed. To the hardware list you can add AMD, nVidia, and ATI as well.

IBM, AMD, and Motorola do comment on where their hardware research is heading, because they need strategic business partners to buy their components in mass quantities. Not consumers who only buy one computer every couple of years.
Why wouldn't consumers want to know this, especially if said consumers are considering dumping a platform altogether because of performance issues? Better to hint that better things are coming and perhaps cannibalize a few short-term sales than stand silent and lose platform advocates.

Think about it...if Apple says they're going to launch a new PowerMac in September with a 970 chip, don't you think it will prevent a lot of orders between now and then?
See above.
     
LosJackal
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 08:08 PM
 
Originally posted by PoisonTooth:
I don't understand your argument. I already gave you an example of both a software company (Microsoft) and hardware company (Intel) that tell customers where they're headed. To the hardware list you can add AMD, nVidia, and ATI as well.
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Can you name some companies that sell entire computers, and hint at what a future model is going to have? Companies such as Dell, Gateway, IBM, HP, or Alienware?

Nvidia and ATI are interesting examples....they must inform companies and consumers what they are planning because they need software writers to take advantage of the new chips/cards.

Why wouldn't consumers want to know this, especially if said consumers are considering dumping a platform altogether because of performance issues? Better to hint that better things are coming and perhaps cannibalize a few short-term sales than stand silent and lose platform advocates.
Of course customers would want to know! But if the company tells them, it will affect sales. In my example, there are six months between now and September. That is TWO QUARTERS of revenue for a public company. Revenue which will certainly be lower if you tell your consumers that you'll be putting out a better product in six months. This is Marketing, and probably not on topic for this thread.
"Sawtooth" G4 450 desktop + SuperDrive
"Pismo" G3 500 PowerBook SOLD!
"Hammerhead" G4 PowerBook arrived!
www.canyouhearmenow.com
     
jef152psu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 09:26 PM
 
I would like to put this in perspective for some of you. I have been waiting since November for a new powerbook. Yep, you heard that right.....NOVEMBER. I sold my old powerbook (rev. a 500mhz Ti) at the end of Nov because I thought I was getting a new 1ghz Ti. Apple saw fit to keep delaying the shipping of my powerbook till the day after MWSF (I received a total of 3 or 4 emails telling me about shipping delays). As soon as the 17" was revealed, I called apple that day and upgraded my order.


Since I have no mac to work on, I have been using a Pentium III 733Mhz with Windows XP since November. I hate using XP, I find the interface clunky IMO.

My ship date from Apple says on or before 3/21, which I am inclined to believe. I have been patiently waiting and will continue to do so. Does it drive me nutz sometimes? Like you wouldn't believe. (You try using XP after experience the goodness that is OS X)

So until you can say that you have been going since november without a mac at all and have been waiting for a powerbook since then, I really can't sympathize for those of you that are angry at Apple for these so called delays.


I'm sure I'll get flamed.....so I'll go back into hiding.
     
drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ny,Ny,USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 10:23 PM
 
Originally posted by PoisonTooth:
Not to be a jackass, but have you used a 17" extensively? Do you have one? No?

Then you have no idea if waiting will be "worth it" or not.

Here's my prediction, and I'm sad to have to say it: the 17"s are being rushed, because the delays = lost business over time. Because they're being rushed, to whatever degree, there will be problems with the first batch(es).

I would love to be wrong on this -- I really would -- but in a month's time, when people start getting their 17"s (assuming they have them by then, of course), we will see lots of problem threads with the 17" PB. I can feel it.

Sigh.
How can they be rushed if they are delayed? Apple has delayed the shippment so they can make it a better product. Fix what ever is wrong.
i hate project managers.
     
badnewsblair
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond! VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 11:24 PM
 
First and foremost, the display models are definitely NOT brushed metal. At least not what I would think of when someone tells me brushed metal. I got to play with one extensively (though I know the display models could be completely different from the production models). When you pick it up, the metal feels almost exactly like the 15" titanium with the only exceptions being that the metal seems not quite as soft as titanium, and it feels much sturdies. There is almost no texture to the metal.

Okay, and about the people cancelling their orders... I'm tired of reading about it. Personally, if you're on the fence between cancelling it your order at all, keep it to yourself. I don't want to hear it here (man, I'm going to be flamed for that one).

I am a switcher (well sorta, still using my old Windows box... but I've been warned that once I go Mac I'll never go back for lack of a better saying), and I have been waiting for a Powerbook since August last year. I decided to go for the 17" for several specific reason over the 15" model. A friend of mine just got his 15" 1GHz TiBook and he loves it, and personally I think it is a solid machine and for about 90% of the people out there, it is the book for them. For a select few, the 17" fits the bill, for a good amount of people, it will be just for show or the 'I have every other Apple book out there... I need this one' excuse. My point is this... I specifically want the 17" Powerbook as my first Apple product and I am willing to wait it out. Patience my friends.

I'm too tired to write anymore. I expected to come back from my 600 mile drive today to find out that the 17" had starting shipping at least to someone, but as we all know it didn't... oh well. Goodnight all...
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]
     
ichibod
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Indy
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2003, 01:05 AM
 
I just read part of the new MacWorld article on the 17" PB and it says that their model they got to review burns at 2x and that may be the heat problem mentioned above...

I dunno. I'm stoked though.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:15 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,