Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbooks and Hollywood..

Powerbooks and Hollywood..
Thread Tools
Patcarla
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montpellier
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 10:29 AM
 
Just a small thread about how hollywood loves Apple computers..
Did you ever notice how often we can see tibooks or powermacs in movies and sitcoms? it's pretty unbelievable!
I can't even remember how many time I saw a Tibook laying down on a desk in recent movies!! I guess that the main reason is because Macs look so cool!!!
If the market share is 5%/95% for wintel in real world it looks like exactly the opposite for the movie world
If real life could be sometimes like a movie...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)
     
PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 11:14 AM
 
Um, Apple pays for this.
     
Patcarla  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montpellier
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 11:30 AM
 
Originally posted by PoisonTooth:
Um, Apple pays for this.
Most of the time the Apple logo is masked.. so, I don't think that Apple throws money in all movies...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)
     
Hollywood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Netherlands
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 06:30 PM
 
Originally posted by Patcarla:
Just a small thread about how hollywood loves Apple computers..
Did you ever notice how often we can see tibooks or powermacs in movies and sitcoms? it's pretty unbelievable!
I can't even remember how many time I saw a Tibook laying down on a desk in recent movies!! I guess that the main reason is because Macs look so cool!!!
If the market share is 5%/95% for wintel in real world it looks like exactly the opposite for the movie world
If real life could be sometimes like a movie...
I thought you American only uses Mac's

I agree with you Patcarla. Apple doesn't always pay for it, but creators use Mac's. So why not use them for the same price in movies?
Don't believe what you see.
See it and Believe it.

Richard Hollywood
Hollywood Special After Effects
www.hollywoodsae.com
     
Patcarla  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montpellier
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 09:37 PM
 
Originally posted by Hollywood:
I thought you American only uses Mac's

I agree with you Patcarla. Apple doesn't always pay for it, but creators use Mac's. So why not use them for the same price in movies?
Since I'm not american..I can't say..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)
     
badnewsblair
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond! VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2003, 11:32 PM
 
Apple wouldn't pay unless their logo gets shown. That's just how the commercial world goes. So if you don't see that logo eventhough you KNOW its a 15" powerbook titanium (a la SUM 41's new video intro), then they didn't pay a cent to get it in the video.

More often than not, the creators of the films, moveis, videos were using a Powerbook or other Apple product when they created it. Believe it or not, Hollywood production crews are cheap skates (as much as they can be). If someone on the set is using a Powerbook or whatever, the director will slap a sticker or whatever over the logo, give a call to Apple to make sure to get the rights to it, and shove it in front of the camera. And having the rep that Apple does with the creative types, more often than not, that computer will almost always be an Apple.

There you go...
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]
     
YoungTurk
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Brownsvile, Texas
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2003, 09:12 AM
 
Originally posted by badnewsblair:
Apple wouldn't pay unless their logo gets shown. That's just how the commercial world goes. So if you don't see that logo eventhough you KNOW its a 15" powerbook titanium (a la SUM 41's new video intro), then they didn't pay a cent to get it in the video.

More often than not, the creators of the films, moveis, videos were using a Powerbook or other Apple product when they created it. Believe it or not, Hollywood production crews are cheap skates (as much as they can be). If someone on the set is using a Powerbook or whatever, the director will slap a sticker or whatever over the logo, give a call to Apple to make sure to get the rights to it, and shove it in front of the camera. And having the rep that Apple does with the creative types, more often than not, that computer will almost always be an Apple.

There you go...
In the last episode of Alias, Sidney (Jennifer Garner) secretly checked Vaughn's computer to see if he had stolen a particular file. Vaughn's computer - a 12" iBook, albeit with the name and logo masked over.

YoungTurk
PB G4 12" 1.33 ghtz 1.25 RAM/80 HD/AE/SuperDrive, FP iMac 800 (Superdrive), Silver iPod Mini, iBook 600 Combo, PMac G4 733 (Superdrive), Snow iMac 600
     
Patcarla  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montpellier
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2003, 09:46 AM
 
Originally posted by YoungTurk:
In the last episode of Alias, Sidney (Jennifer Garner) secretly checked Vaughn's computer to see if he had stolen a particular file. Vaughn's computer - a 12" iBook, albeit with the name and logo masked over.

YoungTurk
yeah, saw that too. List is pretty long: last movie of steve martin, sitcoms will & grace, scrubs, good morning miami etc...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)
     
G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PA/NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2003, 06:35 PM
 
Just to make this thread a little longer, I'll add my recent sighting.

Last night's Late Night with Conan O'Brien showcased a new band from the UK called the Ravenettes. The drummer was wearing headphones that were connected to a 15" PowerBook. Looked really cool.

By the way, I saw a rerun of the Simpsons last night where Homer buys a computer. I think it's supposed to be a silver G4 tower. Anyone else see this? The Comic Book Guy uses Macs also. Is Matt Groening an Apple fan or just being sarcastic?
     
donny31
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2003, 07:21 PM
 
Originally posted by G-mac:
Just to make this thread a little longer, I'll add my recent sighting.

Last night's Late Night with Conan O'Brien showcased a new band from the UK called the Ravenettes. The drummer was wearing headphones that were connected to a 15" PowerBook. Looked really cool.

By the way, I saw a rerun of the Simpsons last night where Homer buys a computer. I think it's supposed to be a silver G4 tower. Anyone else see this? The Comic Book Guy uses Macs also. Is Matt Groening an Apple fan or just being sarcastic?
sorry to add --but I love the PB used by the president of the US in "24" each week on fox --pretty cool --I wonder if they will switch to the 17" next season?
     
badnewsblair
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond! VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2003, 07:48 PM
 
Don't forget the creator of the West Wing, the American President, and Sport's Night is a real Apple buff... wouldn't be surprised if a lot of our sighting comes frm one of those.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]
     
Patcarla  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montpellier
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2003, 09:53 PM
 
Originally posted by G-mac:
Just to make this thread a little longer, I'll add my recent sighting.

Last night's Late Night with Conan O'Brien showcased a new band from the UK called the Ravenettes. The drummer was wearing headphones that were connected to a 15" PowerBook. Looked really cool.

By the way, I saw a rerun of the Simpsons last night where Homer buys a computer. I think it's supposed to be a silver G4 tower. Anyone else see this? The Comic Book Guy uses Macs also. Is Matt Groening an Apple fan or just being sarcastic?
I wish I saw this one!!
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)
     
jambajooz
Forum Regular
Join Date: Oct 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2003, 01:01 PM
 
and of course Smallville, Chloe uses one but unfortunately Lex switched from a Powerbook Ti to a one that seems to be a Dell. And for those who saw the Christopher Reeves episode, he was using a 15" Ti.
     
darrick
Forum Regular
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: at my desk, laptop on my lap
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 15, 2003, 06:42 PM
 
the theatre trailer for steve martin's new movie shows him with a tiBook in several scenes; but the tiBook in the television commercial has had its glowing apple 'airbrushed' out.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,