Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 17" iMac audio output question

17" iMac audio output question
dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2003, 07:18 PM

Hey All,
I just got my 17" iMac. Came less than two days after I ordered it using Amazon's Super Saver Shipping! Anyhow, On my old Sawtooth, I used the heaphone jack to connect to my Home Theater system and a pair of small speakers. I just used a small radioshack splitter. Looking at the iMac, I thought that if I used the Pro Speakers, I'd be able to leave my HT plugged into the headphone output at all times and just pull up the sound control panel to switch between the pro speakers being the output and the headphone jack. After all, they are different ports, it should be doable. Anyhow, i can't figure out if there's a way to do this. If there's not, I think I might just go back to the old Cyber Acoustics speakers i was using on my G4 with the splitter. That way I can have the speakers and the HT connected at all times without having to unplug one and then another. However, i can't help but hope there's a way to do this.
Anyhow, so far i'm really digging my iMac. It's only got the stock ram right now(my g4 had 512) as I wasn't anticipating the iMac arriving so soon. Luckily the 512mb ram upgrade module will arrive tomorrow. Even so, i still notice quite a difference in a 1ghz g4 than a 350mhz g4. Thanks for any info all.
Regards,
Dave

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 12:20 AM

Unless I'm mistaken, there's no way to select which ones. The iMac thinks that you always want your Cyber Acoustics on IF they are connected, and if not, it'll resort to the Pro Speakers. To my knowledge, the only way to switch it to manually unplug the Cyber Acoustics.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 09:10 AM

And he's right.. Albeit it's software controlled (and OS X does a LOUSY job at it)... you might want to go back to your old speakes as the pros will be a nightmare anyway.
Aloha

dfbennett  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the info. i might go back to my old combination of splitter and Cyberacoustics/HT connector. As it stands now, It's not that big of a deal to plug in the HT into the headphone jack when I want to play music in it. I guess I'll see if the buyer of my Sawtooth wants the speakers. If they don't I'll probably just keep them and maybe sell the pros. They look good but the sound is average and the connection issue is lame.
Otherwise, I'm really happy with my iMac. My eyes still need to get used to the LCD(I've been a CRT user since I sold my powerbook g3 233 in December of 99 for my G4). My ram upgrade came today so now I'm cruising with 768mb and it seems very very good. All in all I think this was a great buy for me. Anyhow thanks for the info!
Regards,
Dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules