Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Non OS X compatible Digital Camera Question

Non OS X compatible Digital Camera Question
dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2004, 11:13 AM

Hi,
My brother won a Oregon Scientific 6118 credit card sized digital camera. He doesn't have a computer so he gave it to me. I've got an 17" iMac that only boots OS X, and it looks like the camera only works with 8.6-9.2. I tried it with image capture and it didn't work. I then tried loading up the software for 9.2 that came with it and running it in classic. That didn't work either. Should classic be able to see the device? I remember I used to be able to print to my old Epson printer in classic so I think this should work. Could it be that I need to load some USB extensions in classic? Any tips? Thanks. This thing is really small and would be handy for those situations where I want to bring a camera along but don't want to lug my larger Digital Camera or me even bigger SLR film camera.
Regards,
Dave

larkost
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2004, 11:21 AM

When you plug it in to the computer, does it show up as a drive? What does it show up as in System Profiler?

If it does not show up as a drive, then chances are they did something very non-standard (without any good reason), and you are out of luck.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2004, 03:22 PM

just buy a card reader for the media it uses

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 18, 2004, 03:28 PM

The super-cheapy digital cameras don't use removable media. I suspect it's one like that.

tooki

dfbennett  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2004, 10:28 PM

It doesn't mount as a drive at all unfortunately. System Profiler sees it just as "Digital Camera". It's only got internal memory so the card reader option is out. Maybe I'll just give it to someone at work since it sure doesn't look like it'll work with OS X Oh well can't complain, it was free afterall.
Regards,
Dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules