Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > FCP 4 and "real" requirements for DVCPRO50

FCP 4 and "real" requirements for DVCPRO50
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2004, 12:27 PM

I read the apple final cut pro site, and unless I'm reading it wrong to edit footage from the Panasonic SDX-900 camera using FCP 4, you'll need a G4 with 1gz or higher and at least 1GB of ram.

Is this true?

I was planning on buying a G4 off eBay, but I don't want to buy an 800 iMac G4 if I can't run the program. I know I can edit mini-DV, but I know I'll be shooting with the SDX-900 in the next 6 months so it makes sense to get the right setup now.

Follow up, I'm looking to spend, (well the least amount of money) on an apple desktop or laptop that will be an upgrade from my G3ibook/ FCP 3 edit system (which works great by the way) that will let me use all FCP 4 has to offer.

I guess I really should consider that FCP 5 is probably around the corner and might be only G5 based.

But the G4 are still being used I'm sure in most studios that already had them.

I think a lot of us become victims of "As soon as the new thing comes out, the old then becomes junk". I know the G5 is the sexy choice now, but if I can save 1000 bucks, I'd get a G4.

wedgie!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2004, 01:17 PM

The codec you use isn't processor-dependant - I've edited uncompressd video on a 500Mhz G4 before now. As long as your HD is fast enough to handle it you can work with whatever codec you like. DVCPRO50 is a little harder on your drives than DV25 but an IDE drive can handle it no problem.

BTW - FCP5 is not just around the corner, don't expect it until after OS 10.4 ships next year. 10.4 features huge video realtime-rendering support and I don't think Apple will ship another FCP release until then. Also there's still way too many Apple customers using G4s to cut them out altogether - remember there won't be a G5 laptop for a while.

Wanna buy a G4? I'm selling a 733Mhz tower with lots of stuff next week....I'm in NYC too.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2004, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by wedgie!:
The codec you use isn't processor-dependant - I've edited uncompressd video on a 500Mhz G4 before now. As long as your HD is fast enough to handle it you can work with whatever codec you like. DVCPRO50 is a little harder on your drives than DV25 but an IDE drive can handle it no problem.

BTW - FCP5 is not just around the corner, don't expect it until after OS 10.4 ships next year. 10.4 features huge video realtime-rendering support and I don't think Apple will ship another FCP release until then. Also there's still way too many Apple customers using G4s to cut them out altogether - remember there won't be a G5 laptop for a while.

Wanna buy a G4? I'm selling a 733Mhz tower with lots of stuff next week....I'm in NYC too.
Okay, so what does this mean then

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/specs.html

In case the link doesn't work it says under requirements:

"For DVCPRO HD, 1GHz or faster single or dual processors and 1GB of RAM"

And by "around the corner", I mean I'll probably have this new computer for at least 3 years so I should consider future versions of FCP in my choice to buy. I worded it poorly.

Well let me know what you're selling and for how much, I'll for sure consider it. thanks.

wedgie!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Mallrat:
Okay, so what does this mean then

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/specs.html

In case the link doesn't work it says under requirements:

"For DVCPRO HD, 1GHz or faster single or dual processors and 1GB of RAM"

And by "around the corner", I mean I'll probably have this new computer for at least 3 years so I should consider future versions of FCP in my choice to buy. I worded it poorly.

Well let me know what you're selling and for how much, I'll for sure consider it. thanks.
That's for DVCPRO HD (DV100), not SD (DVCPRO50) which is what you'll be shooting with the SDX-900.

what I'm selling:

G4 733Mhz (blue box, not Quicksilver)
1GB RAM
60GB system drive
80GB internal media drive
60GB external firewire drive
Superdrive
15" Apple LCD monitor
15" Neovo LCD monitor
ATI Radeon 7000 for second monitor
Matrox RTmac video output card
OS 10.3
various software pre-installed

It'll be fine as a basic edit station, the processor speed doesn't really affect FCP unless you're doing some heavy rendering work. I might sell the Matrox card seperately, seeing as it's only useful if you're on FCP3. The rest is worth about $1100. Had a couple of people interested, but nothign definite yet. I've got a 2.5Ghz G5 ariving next week, which is why I'm selling.

brianb
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2004, 07:14 PM

The other thing to remember is that as long as you have a base level machine for FCP4 it will work. FCP scales to the machine you are using and basically as you get faster you will get more realtime function. But as far as that goes you would only have to render a little more. Not a huge deal.
Quicksilver 867, 700mhz iBook, 1st Gen iPod, iSight, Newton 2100, and a 128k Mac. All operating and used on a constant Basis

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2004, 09:53 PM

I've edited SDX-900 footage on a G4 dual 800 and it was just fine. All you need to make sure of is that your HD is fast and you have plenty of RAM. The issue is with how complex your sequence will be. If it is a simple editing job it won't be a problem. If you have tons of footage, loads of rendered effects and embedded sequences etc. you will kick yourself for not having a G5.

Hollywood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2004, 03:24 PM

FCP-HD needs a lot of RAM because of the RT-applications. If less RAM is available you need to render. So you can use FCP, but with the minimum given requirements you will work much faster.
Don't believe what you see.
See it and Believe it.

Richard Hollywood
Hollywood Special After Effects
www.hollywoodsae.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules