Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Saving all files from FCP to one specific folder?

Saving all files from FCP to one specific folder?
eerie eric
Sep 1, 2004, 05:22 PM

I'm running low on harddrive space & don't have the money to get an additional one at this point because all my money is going to the cost of DVD replication for my project...

Since the project is completed, I could save it as a Final Cut Pro movie and just delete all the individual files...but I'd rather save everything to one folder incase I ever want to go back and re-edit. See, unfortunately, my project draws files from at least 3 different harddrives, so I'll have to move them each individually and then re-find them within the project...unless someone knows how to just export the whole darn thing.

Thanks,
Eric Thomas Craven

Steve SpotOn
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2004, 08:49 AM

So long as you keep your FCP project file (should be about 400K in size) you can at any later stage re-digitise all your shots - by trashing all you capture scratch and render files you are simply taking them 'off-line'.

Obviously this assumes all your material is properly logged with timecode and tape numbers.

You should of course keep a master tape copy of your final sequence.

eerie eric  (op)
Sep 3, 2004, 12:23 AM

What if all my clips are captured seperately from FCP and are later imported into the project?

Steve SpotOn
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2004, 03:08 AM

If all of your clips are digital files (i.e. QuickTime's, graphic and audio) with no ref to tape originals then you have little choice than to back all these files up.

As far as I know there is no way FCP can export these - Media Manager in FCP could do it but I've had disastorous with files going AWOL and others getting duplicated.

betasp
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2004, 10:30 AM

You can use the media manager to move all of your files to the new drive and even have the project relink to those files and erase the old ones. Go File-Media Manager, and check out the options.

Hollywood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2004, 03:37 PM

Check your render-files, some are very large, some are double. You can delete them and render again later. It can save space, sometimes many Gigabites.

If you need more space, move clips to DVD, you can replace them later.

Good luck
Don't believe what you see.
See it and Believe it.

Richard Hollywood
Hollywood Special After Effects
www.hollywoodsae.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules