Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ibook wireless question

Ibook wireless question
Jlwolfer
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2004, 08:57 AM

Hi everyone
I have a easy question. I have a powerbook G3 laptop running on a linksys wireless ap and it works fine, but I want to upgrade to a IBook with a airport card installed. Will this still work on my linksys ap or will I have to buy a airport base station.

Please Help
Jeremy

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2004, 09:48 AM

It'll work just fine, I got the new iBook and don't have no Airport Base Station either. I have an Acer WLAN Broadband Router that I connect to and it works great - in theory, your iBook should work with every Access Point and Broadband Router out there.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Jlwolfer  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2004, 10:06 AM

Sweeeeet

rezrez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2004, 06:59 PM

I have a question in that same realm. How do you select which wireless network you want to connect to?? I have the airport card on a brank new ibook... Sorry I'm new to this...

Thanks...

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2004, 08:10 PM

to select a base just click on the signal icon in the menu bar and it should list all those available to you. Alternatively you can launch the app Internet Connect, then click on airport and select a base. That is also where the option is found to show the icon in the menu bar.

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Dec 14, 2004, 10:20 PM

should the signal icon not be in the menu bar, bo into the system preferences > network. under "Show: " selct Airport and there will be a check box at the bottom of the window allowing the icon to be displayed in the menu bar.

rezrez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2004, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by TubaMuffins:
should the signal icon not be in the menu bar, bo into the system preferences > network. under "Show: " selct Airport and there will be a check box at the bottom of the window allowing the icon to be displayed in the menu bar.
Thanks for that help.. i appriciate it...

Forum Links
Forum Rules